Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Shortening points stay at sold out hotel?

Old Jan 4, 20, 11:20 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond

I've got an 8 night stay using points at a Hampton Inn in late April. I'd like to change it to a 7 night stay, arriving one day later.

I called the hotel and they said since it was a points stay to call the Diamond Desk to have them change it. I called the Diamond Desk and got a non-Diamond Desk rep who said she couldn't because the hotel is sold out. I said "whut?" and got transferred to a Diamond Desk agent who confirmed they cannot shorten the reservation by one stay because the property is sold out and the only way they have to change a points stay is to cancel and rebook it at the new length. The best she could offer was to put a note on the account that I'd called in and to try again in a month in case rooms opened up.

Has anyone else ever encountered this before? Suggestions for what to do?
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pretty common. e.g., there must be inventory for the new award (that is what this is) for the change to be made.

Rather, I would call the property back closer to your date of travel to let it know that you will be arriving at some time the next day but want the room booked anyway and thus not to cancel. No refund of points, but you won't lose the award.
Old Jan 4, 20, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Glob Lite "riff-raff"
Next time, book the stay one night at a time. Then you can cancel as you need.
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
I agree this is an option but it is also a pain in the ... to do with every booking. I do it only when there is a high likelihood of changes. And you don't get 5 for 4.
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
I think in most cases it would be much dearer this way. As mentioned you miss out on 5 nights for the price of 4 and many hotels have a better point rate for multiple nights. If possible I will book the last night as an extra in case something changes.
Old Jan 4, 20, 3:23 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

The phone rep did say that they were doing some sort of IT something that may make the hotel able to see something or other, so in a month it might be doable.

Booking individually night by night, as others point out, means missing out on the 5 for 4 use of points.

Pretty annoying
Old Jan 4, 20, 5:14 pm

This is one of the quirks of hotel revenue management at Hilton properties. The actual inventory is controlled by each individual hotel but the awards booking/modification/cancelation is done at the corporate level via the website or phone.

Essentially, if you can't make a change to an existing booking via the website, there's no reason to call Hilton Reservations. They see exactly what you see and there's nothing they can to do change it.

It's possible that they hotel will allow the change. The key is to talk to the person with the power to approve the change and coordinate with Hilton Reservations to make it happen. At a large hotel, that person will be the Revenue Manager and/or Reservations Manager. At a smaller property like a Hampton Inn, the person in charge of that function might be the Front Desk Manager or even a very hands-on General Manager.

Call during normal business hours and ask to speak to someone on-site regarding a reservation. Be specific to mention "on-site" because most hotels use Hilton Reservations to run their Reservations Department.

If the person you speak with agrees to the change, she or he will need to coordinate with Hilton Reservations to make the change (because all awards bookings are controlled by that group). Because of this annoying set-up, the likelihood that will agree to make the change is lessened.
Old Jan 5, 20, 12:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Rather than booking every night individually, a 7-night stay can be booked as 1 + 5 + 1, since it's most likely that extra nights will be removed or added to the front and back of the whole stay.
Old Jan 5, 20, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
It has been my experience that hotels that are 'sold out' often hold back a few rooms for their 'regulars' who often just 'walk in'

Bob H
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
While this is somewhat different and at a Marriott it might be helpful. I was contacted by the hotel and asked if I would be willing to give up night 1 of a 5 night stay due to being oversold from a convention. Since it was a point stay and one night free it essentially was at no cost to me. They provided unlimited golf, suite upgrade, and 4 breakfasts so I came out pretty good. I'd call the hotel directly and see if they need the room and if they would offer you some type of compensation.
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:12 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
I'd call the hotel directly and see if they need the room and if they would offer you some type of compensation.
I already called the hotel directly before even contacting the Diamond desk to shorten the stay and they said they can't modify point stays.
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
I already called the hotel directly before even contacting the Diamond desk to shorten the stay and they said they can't modify point stays.
Maybe a manager or the person in charge reservations/groups? BTW the Marriott property didn't modify my reservation but was done with an email agreement and the website kept the original reservation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: