Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
It is unlikely that you will be able to cancel one night from an existing reservation. You can try by calling the hotel. It is more likely that you will need to cancel the existing six night reservation and book a new five night reservation. If you have sufficient points in your account, book the new one first, then cancel the existing one. Do not assume that you will be able to cancel the existing reservation then immediately book a new one. You may find that award rooms are not available or are more costly in points than you expect.
I learned my lesson on this. I was unable to cancel part of a six night reservation. I had a 6 night premium award booking. I was able to re-book 5 nights (in a row) as a standard award booking, but not the 6th night (any type of booking - it was sold out). I finally gave up and had to drop my 5 day standard booking because I couldn’t re-book the 6th night. I consider it a loss of over 800K points (due to difference in point costs).

My lesson learned: book individual nights if there is a possibility you need to cancel some of the nights, but keep others...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:32 pm

What you mean " Is the $200 rate advance purchase or pay at the hotel? You need a "pay at the hotel" rate to get the Aspire resort credit. "?
Booking on hilton website won't work?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
What you mean " Is the $200 rate advance purchase or pay at the hotel? You need a "pay at the hotel" rate to get the Aspire resort credit. "?
Booking on hilton website won't work?
No, it will not. Advance purchase rates for U.S. resorts are centrally billed by Hilton, and American Express will not see this as an eligible resort expenditure.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:48 pm

No, it will not. Advance purchase rates for U.S. resorts are centrally billed by Hilton, and American Express will not see this as an eligible resort expenditure.
So how do I book this to get the credit then? just don't book online on hilton.com? Show up at the hotel in the resort list and book with the front desk rep? That's the only way?

My original question was the followinglooks like the cheapest at $200 but with tax and resort fee, it comes to $254. That will cover my free night with the aspire resort credit right? Will pay $4 and plus the $31 parking fee for one night?

I have 6 nights already booked on points at a homewood suites in San diego and maybe I can call and cancel one night from this and stay a night at the Hilton Lo Jolla to use the $250 credit for one night stay? Going there for a week. Would be nice if I can go use the $250 credit for a meal at any of the resort list for a meal or giftcard purchase. Thanks for your advice
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Disregard.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
So how do I book this to get the credit then? just don't book online on hilton.com? Show up at the hotel in the resort list and book with the front desk rep? That's the only way?

My original question was the followinglooks like the cheapest at $200 but with tax and resort fee, it comes to $254. That will cover my free night with the aspire resort credit right? Will pay $4 and plus the $31 parking fee for one night?

I have 6 nights already booked on points at a homewood suites in San diego and maybe I can call and cancel one night from this and stay a night at the Hilton Lo Jolla to use the $250 credit for one night stay? Going there for a week. Would be nice if I can go use the $250 credit for a meal at any of the resort list for a meal or giftcard purchase. Thanks for your advice
Book at hilton.com just not an advance payment rate. If the property charges a deposit that will trigger the credit.

The resort credit is not a free night. You pay the entire bill at the hotel and receive a statement credit.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Please take a look at the wiki/FAQ in this thread, these type of basic questions about the Aspire credit are well covered, it will give you a much better idea of how it works.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:04 am

OKay! So to trigger the credit on hIlton.com, book anything that does NOT say " advance purchase rate" is what I understood. Same thing on priceline.com and don't book APR?

I already have existing 7 days points reservation in San diego so I won't cancel them. I will try to find out if I can go to any of the hotel in resort list for a meal or GC purchase.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Jun 13, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Are you sure it is based on anniversary date?

It’s very important to recognize that an anniversary (or reward) year is NOT the same as a calendar year. An anniversary year is generally defined as every twelve-month period starting with your account opening date. For example, my anniversary year is August through August, whereas the calendar year is usually January 1 to December 31.

I just had the following chat with AmEx:

AmEx: “I have checked the terms about resort credit. It says “During each year of Card Membership, Card Members are eligible to receive statement credits of up to $250 in total on their Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card Account for any eligible purchases with their Card made directly at a participating Resorts in the Hilton portfolio. A statement credit will automatically be applied to the account approximately 8-12 weeks after the Hilton Resort charges are posted”

me: “So that means the $250 Hilton Resort credit can be applied any time during the year?”

AmEx: “Absolutely Correct. Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card for the benefit to apply. Card Members receive up to $250 back as a statement credit(s) for eligible purchases made directly with the resort property, including room rates and incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) Incidental charges must be charged to the hotel room and paid for with the Hilton Honors Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases.”

So what is it, calendar year or anniversary year?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
So what is it, calendar year or anniversary year?
See wiki, or see Amex Aspire terms and conditions. Typically, the terms and conditions describe the benefit, look there first before calling.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rd/36182-11-0/

During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $250 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:21 pm

I’d like to add that pretty much everything is based on your card anniversary. I had the “basic” (no fee) Amex Hhonors card. When upgrading it to Aspire, they pro-rated the annual fee from $450 to ~$360 or so based on how many months were left in my card year.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by gvaughn
I’d like to add that pretty much everything is based on your card anniversary. I had the “basic” (no fee) Amex Hhonors card. When upgrading it to Aspire, they pro-rated the annual fee from $450 to ~$360 or so based on how many months were left in my card year.
One or two instances do not equal "pretty much everything". In fact other AmEx benefits are based on calendar years (e.g. airline reimbursements, category spending caps, etc.).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion & Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Prepayment towards 2020 reservation to trigger credit

I currently have a points stay booked at the Grand Wailea in May of 2020. I have seen where others have contacted international resorts (Conrad Maldives, etc.) and made a payment in advance towards their account to trigger the $250 credit. Does this still work and has anyone had success doing it at a US resort? I just got the card and my first closing date is 7/8 (when the annual fee posts and hence my anniversary date).

I am wondering if I called up the Grand Wailea and attempted to make a $1,000 payment towards my account if it would trigger the $250 credit plus the $200 off $1000 Amex offer for Hilton Hotels in Hawaii along with the $100 off $500 for Conrad and Waldorf Astoria. Any thoughts on whether or not this would work? Would be great because then I could use my $250 again next year when I stay and I'm betting there will be another Amex offer (there has been 2 years in a row).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
One or two instances do not equal "pretty much everything". In fact other AmEx benefits are based on calendar years (e.g. airline reimbursements, category spending caps, etc.).
So you’re saying if your card anniversary is mid year you can claim double airline credits by calendar year during a single year of card membership? I highly doubt it.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by gvaughn

So you’re saying if your card anniversary is mid year you can claim double airline credits by calendar year during a single year of card membership? ...
That info would be under the AmEx forum, with a separate thread for each airline.
Wiki posts are a good place to start.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-aa-only.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.