Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Has anyone received their cert for their second year ($450) renewal? My fee posted in July, bill paid in August. Amex is a different company but my Citi annual cert always posted mid August. Wonder how long it will take
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TxTrav
Thinking of applying for the business card with the higher sign up bonus available now. Already have the personal cards (including two no-fee cards due to the Citi changeover).

But...just retired two years ago after many years of self employment. Have had a number of business credit cards but none currently open. Only source of income now is investment money (not taking social security yet). Consider doing some free-lance consulting but can't list that as income. Only consulting done since retirement is for non-profits. Can a business card application be filled out with $0 income? Tax records will show almost 30 years of business income but not for over a year.
When you have a business that you operate by yourself, such as your free-lance work, you could just consider it a sole proprietorship and put in your name as the name of the business. Next, instead of the Employer Identification Number (EIN) you just put in your social security number.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by StangGT909
Has anyone received their cert for their second year ($450) renewal? My fee posted in July, bill paid in August. Amex is a different company but my Citi annual cert always posted mid August. Wonder how long it will take
Is it a converted card? You couldn't be paying the $450 annual fee for the second time.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:27 am

Yes it’s a converted card

I upgraded earlier this year and paid the prorated $450 fee. My renewal came in July.

Im surprised no one else has been in this situation, surely someone else had upgraded from the Citi Reserve ?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by Seabilly
When you have a business that you operate by yourself, such as your free-lance work, you could just consider it a sole proprietorship and put in your name as the name of the business. Next, instead of the Employer Identification Number (EIN) you just put in your social security number.
Thanks, yes have always used SS# on biz apps and up until two years ago have always put freelance income (which was our only income for almost 30years) in the required business income field. But since retirement don’t have any income except what we draw from savings.

So should I list $0 in the income field for a new application?
Want to be honest. Don’t really know what potential consulting income might be. Have a high FICO score and plenty of years of stellar credit history.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TxTrav

Thanks, yes have always used SS# on biz apps and up until two years ago have always put freelance income (which was our only income for almost 30years) in the required business income field. But since retirement don’t have any income except what we draw from savings.

So should I list $0 in the income field for a new application?
Want to be honest. Don’t really know what potential consulting income might be. Have a high FICO score and plenty of years of stellar credit history.
IIRC, there was a range of salaries, something like 0-10K, and you'd just put down the bottom one. If there is no range, then just put down $0. In the past I've had Business cards with Citi, Chase and AMEX and have never had a problem. It's been a while since I requested any and I've let them all go except for my Marriott/Chase which will probably go away when the next renewal comes up. Worst they could do is decline you or ask for additional information.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Can someone clarify something for me, I seem to find two conflicting versions. For the Hilton Aspire, are the Airline credit ($250) and the Resort Credit ($250) base on my member year or the calendar year? And if the first one, how do I find out exactly my member year, is it the day my annual fee posts? I think I may have just messed this up but also wanted to know for keeping track purposes. Every other card is calendar year so wasn't sure with this one.
ETA:
Just called Amex and they said that the airline credit is calendar year and the resort credit is member year.
Basically I just screwed myself out of an extra $250 from the time i upgraded my card in February to July since he said I would have had a $250 credit then and now in July 26 would have the credit again (my credit just posted on August 28 since i had been "saving" my credit for this trip. Live and learn I guess. (*btw this was only because I upgraded an existing card, I am sure this is not a problem with new cards but for anyone that upgraded, take note)

Last edited by miadukes; Aug 31, 2018 at 5:58 am
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:07 pm

Yes it’s a converted card

I upgraded earlier this year and paid the prorated $450 fee. My renewal came in July.

Im surprised no one else has been in this situation, surely someone else had upgraded from the Citi Reserve ?
I also "upgraded" from the Citi Reserve. But I did so by opening a Hilton Surpass before the conversion, with its 100k bonus. Then by opening an Aspire for another 100k +night bonus.

The surpass->Ascend I have to keep past the fee for the weekend night @ first renewal.
The Reserve->Ascend they gave me a 20k point/$3k spend retention offer in February. And I'm going to finish putting $15k on it shortly (mostly tax payments...), for two additional weekend nights.

Not sure what I will do with the two Ascends later this year.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I'm strongly considering the Aspire card. I have given Hilton a break over the past year or so as IHG has been good for me between their offers and CCs. I just blew through almost all of my IHG points, and it looks like there is no accelerate offer to help me build them up in the near term. For the Aspire's $450 AF, I could probably break even from just the free night and airline credit. So the rest of the nice Diamond perks and huge point return would just be gravy. Although, I'd like to get a little more out of the card. Anyone have anything positive to say about the resorts credit? Looks pretty limited.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I'm strongly considering the Aspire card. I have given Hilton a break over the past year or so as IHG has been good for me between their offers and CCs. I just blew through almost all of my IHG points, and it looks like there is no accelerate offer to help me build them up in the near term. For the Aspire's $450 AF, I could probably break even from just the free night and airline credit. So the rest of the nice Diamond perks and huge point return would just be gravy. Although, I'd like to get a little more out of the card. Anyone have anything positive to say about the resorts credit? Looks pretty limited.
The resorts credit isn't that limited--it covers lots of properties and can be used against the per night room charge,
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by taxatty56
The resorts credit isn't that limited--it covers lots of properties and can be used against the per night room charge,
Well, it is limited in the sense that Hilton has 5,000+ properties worldwide and the resort credit can only be used at a small percentage of those that are classified as resorts.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Well, it is limited in the sense that Hilton has 5,000+ properties worldwide and the resort credit can only be used at a small percentage of those that are classified as resorts.
Right and if you stay at one of them you get a $250 credit, that is about as positive as you can say about it. You earn points on the portion of the stay which is credited back so currently the $250 could generate 54 points per dollar or 13,500 points. Also would be good for room charges on a points stay. I have at least one resort stay a year so even on points I would earn the credit.
​​​​​
i booked a stay at the Tropicana which charges the first night up front and received a credit before we even checked in. However it doesn't wok on advance purchase rates on US properties.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Made the jump. This definitely seems like the best co-branded Hotel CC at the moment
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:20 pm

FYI, my cert for paying my second year annual fee on the Aspire card came through.

Fee posted in July, bill paid in August, cert email came first week of September.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
FYI, my cert for paying my second year annual fee on the Aspire card came through.

Fee posted in July, bill paid in August, cert email came first week of September.
This would not be the first time I might have completely lost track of time, but how is it you are already on a second-year renewal? I thought that Aspire only came out in January 2018 or thereabouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.