Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It's $40K total spend on the card, doesn't matter where.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jalabi99
I've been a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa card holder (the no annual fee card) since 2016, and been on Gold status since then since they gave you Gold status for as long as you were a card holder.
I think you're confused. The no-AF Citi HH card only gave Silver for just having the card. You had to do either sizable spend, or a certain amount of stays within a short time ("fast track") after getting the card, to get Gold. And that was only supposed to last the year you earned it, the following year, and through March of the year after that. So it wasn't "as long as you were a cardholder", but by coincidence, it happened to be, because the card with Citi only lasted as long as your status. it was just once you earned Gold in the middle of 2016, however you earned it, it was good through March 2018, which is right now.

So the card only gave you Gold once (due to something more than just having the card), and that Gold status lasted until the end of this month, whether you kept the card or not.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mmdough
For those who got the free night cert for the Aspire card, did you apply when the new card first came out or at a later date?
I forget when the application page officially opened, but I applied on January 20 and received my weekend certificate today.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
For those who got the free night cert for the Aspire card, did you apply when the new card first came out or at a later date?
I applied on January 18th and received mine today.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I applied about 5 days after the first day (Jan 18th).
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by jalabi99
I've been a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa card holder (the no annual fee card) since 2016, and been on Gold status since then since they gave you Gold status for as long as you were a card holder. In January 2018, I received the no annual fee Amex Hilton card as a replacement for the Citi one. Today I received an email from Hilton:

Silver status is the bare minimum of tiers and is pretty bad so I want to retain my Gold status by all means. Do you think it would be possible to do a product change/"upgrade" to the Amex Hilton Ascend card, which has a $95 annual fee but also complementary Gold status for the life of the card? Or should I just suck it up and put enough Hilton spend to get me back to Gold status?
IMHO, if you are going to spend at least 5 nights in Europe in the coming year, pay for the Ascend. It will almost always get you a free, complete, breakfast and often get you upgraded.

If all your stays will be in the US, the gold is about as worthless as the silver.

I don't have the experience to comment on non-European, non-American hotels.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:09 am

In Central and South America, Gold will get you free breakfast, upgrades, and lounge access as well most of the time. I think it's just the US where it's worthless.

Originally Posted by Dovster
IMHO, if you are going to spend at least 5 nights in Europe in the coming year, pay for the Ascend. It will almost always get you a free, complete, breakfast and often get you upgraded.

If all your stays will be in the US, the gold is about as worthless as the silver.

Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jeff191
In Central and South America, Gold will get you free breakfast, upgrades, and lounge access as well most of the time. I think it's just the US where it's worthless.
Same in Asia. Gold gets you free breakfast and lounge access even at the Conrad.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Dovster

Agree, the Ascend card is the way to go. It's especially nice now that Delta increased the Am Ex spend requirement to keep diamond so I can concentrate all my charges on the Delta Am Ex cards and not have to worry about a minimum spend to keep diamond with Hilton
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
As a heads up I am finding PP harder and harder to use if anyone is getting the card hoping to use that benefit.

Fortunately in all those cases I had a backup being a Delta diamond but would have been screwed if I was relying on PP.

On my last few visits from SEA the Boardroom was not allowing PP swipes due to capacity controls and only admitting Boardroom members and AS first class customers.

I flew ATL/LIM this past week. In Atlanta I had a long layover and wanted a nap and went to Minute Suites and they were booked for the next three hours. I went to the Club in F and was able to get in (I prefer their free alcohol selection over that at the Skyclub) and stayed there for a few hours but not that long after I got there they weren't allowing access to PP members and only accepting their eligible airline partners guests. Coming back from LIM the SUMAQ lounge was at capacity and they had a separate line for eligible airline partner passengers and for PP passes and I was able to get in pretty fast on the airline partner side but the long was really long for PP swipes and they were only allowing the people in the airline partner line to go in as others have left. As I left the lounge a couple hours later there was no one in the Airline line and only a couple in the PP line. Landing in ATL I wanted a shower and there was a wait at the Skyclub so went over to the Club and they weren't allowing PP swipes.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I think you're confused. The no-AF Citi HH card only gave Silver for just having the card. You had to do either sizable spend, or a certain amount of stays within a short time ("fast track") after getting the card, to get Gold. And that was only supposed to last the year you earned it, the following year, and through March of the year after that. So it wasn't "as long as you were a cardholder", but by coincidence, it happened to be, because the card with Citi only lasted as long as your status. it was just once you earned Gold in the middle of 2016, however you earned it, it was good through March 2018, which is right now.

So the card only gave you Gold once (due to something more than just having the card), and that Gold status lasted until the end of this month, whether you kept the card or not.
Just went back to Nerdwallet to see the terms and it looks like you're right. D'OH!

Since it looks like if I "upgrade" to the Hilton Amex Ascend card I'll get complimentary Gold status I am thinking that would be the way to go for now. I will ring up Amex and check if I'm eligible for an upgrade and if not I'll request it.

Edited to add: Just logged-in to my Amex card dashboard and found that I am eligible to upgrade to the Ascend and to the Aspire. I wish I could have gotten the 75K bonus point offer, but I am going to call Amex again and as if when I upgrade to the Ascend I will be able to get the offer (or anything close). At worst, I will just get the Ascend and then in three months I'll do a 3x CLI on it, and be content with that. Sometime late in 2Q'18 I will probably apply for the Amex Business Platinum, the Amex SPG, the Chase Ink, the Chase Freedom and the Chase Freedom Unlimited and I should be good for cards for the rest of 2018.

Last edited by jalabi99; Mar 31, 2018 at 4:10 pm Reason: Edited to add more detail
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:43 am

Is the $250 Hilton resort statement credit -good for drinks,dinner etc? or ONLY resort fees?

IF good for other than "resort fees"--can it all be used on a one night stay?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SPLP007
Is the $250 Hilton resort statement credit -good for drinks,dinner etc? or ONLY resort fees?

IF good for other than "resort fees"--can it all be used on a one night stay?
it is good for anything a qualifying resort charges to the card, room, resort fee, taxes, room charges etc.

Any number of nights, if the charge is less than $250 it will be credited in fulll.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
it is good for anything a qualifying resort charges to the card, room, resort fee, taxes, room charges etc.

Any number of nights, if the charge is less than $250 it will be credited in fulll.
We went to the Hilton Aruba in early March. We spent about $220 with the card. Nothing has shown up as yet (not surprising, though). Any experiences with how long this takes to credit?

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by brp
Any experiences with how long this takes to credit?
I can't speak for this property in particular, but my charges credited the $250 within a couple of days after the charges posted. Perhaps try giving AmEx a call to get a manual credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.