Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wouldn't depend on PP getting you into the boardrooms...
I used to be AS MVPG 75k but had to switch back to DL once AA went to variable earning and DL dropped completely... I'm based in ATL and, at the time, was flying ATL-SEA 5-6 times/year, but now I'm back on DL and only in SEA 3-4 times/year. If getting turned away from a board room on AS is a 50/50 proposition, it puts me even more strongly in the Ascend/Business camp as the 10 PP entries/year would be more than enough for me.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Given the way US premium credit cards appear to be going in terms of loyalty schemes, I'm wondering whether it would be in the best interests of consumers to separate out US hotel loyalty membership from non-US entirely, as serious $50-100K+ spenders overseas are increasingly being chucked together with people investing $100 over a year.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Also, I assume the Resort credit also applies only to incidentals and not base rate... which would, again, make it hard to recapture given I don't have a ton of "Resort" stays (I'd basically have to actively focus on Resort properties when in Orlando for business and try to recoup it all through F&B).
Hmm... I assumed the Resort credit would be good for the base rate, as long as you stay at one of the 80 Resort properties. What makes you think the credit can't be applied to the base rate?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I think the FAQ that I read specifically addressed that the weekend cert WOULD be fulfilled. The link to that FAQ is on another thread.
I'd assume if you met the $10k spend with your current Reserve card, and your anni date was after the Amex switchover, you'd have to allow the switchover to happen to get the weekend cert?? You couldn't canx the Reserve and still get the cert?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm going insane reading 3-4 threads about the same thing!

Can the mods please consolidate all these threads into one?
I think you should start a new thread with this request
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:31 pm

Is this the first card that offers top tier status at one of the major chain hotels which doesn't require spend? I can't think of any card that does the same for Hyatt/Marriott/Starwood/IHG.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:06 am

What happens if we currently/already have both the no-fee Hilton American Express card and the no-fee Hilton Citi Card? Will the cards be merged? If so, will they add up the credit limits? What does that mean for the age of the accounts? If they won’t merge, will we have two of the same no-fee Hilton American Express cards? if so, what happens if we already have four personal American Express cards?

Or, since I already have the no-fee Hilton American Express card, can the no fee Citi card be converted to one of the other three Hilton American Express cards (Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card, Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, or Hilton Honors American Express Business Card) instead of a second no-fee Hilton American Express card?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Possibly because there is no rational response to people complaining about something that did not happen. There has been no change to the benefits of Diamond status.
If you are instead talking about the jealousy that is being written about that some others might get some benefits that apparently should be reserved for a chosen few, then I don't think that Lauren is in a position to reverse a decision made during negotiations between AMEX and Hilton.
^^

This is exactly it. A lot of moaning about something that hasn't actually happened. The AMEX incidental credit has always frankly sucked for the average traveler, especially compared to the CSR and Prestige travel credits. The resort credit is extremely limited and the vast majority of people simply wouldn't be able to take advantage of it every year. This greatly reduces the value of the card and the supposed "They pay you to get Diamond".

This card does NOT hit the same buttons as the CSR or Prestige do. Neither does it hit the same buttons of mass market hotel cards like the IHG/Marriott/Hyatt, etc cards. It's more of a new hybrid. There will still be definite value for a certain niche of traveler and probably opportunity for cannibalization of AMEX Platinum cardholders to this card but I think all the moaning about devaluation is greatly overstated. I see the greatest value of this card to be for existing Hilton customers who are likely already Diamond or close to it.

And in a worst case scenario if it becomes too much to manage, Hilton will probably just create a new "upper" tier above Diamond, similar to what IHG did with Spire. In fact, perhaps it's prophetic that this card is called A-Spire. The moaning elitists who are "real" Diamonds would probably move up to the new tier leaving a small group of barely Diamonds and cc holders in the newly devalued Diamond category.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:50 am

Cool. Am gonna try this out!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I'd assume if you met the $10k spend with your current Reserve card, and your anni date was after the Amex switchover, you'd have to allow the switchover to happen to get the weekend cert?? You couldn't canx the Reserve and still get the cert?
That’s how I read it and why I’m not canceling my Reserve card.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Yes, Diamond recognition/service is markedly better abroad, especially in Asia.
+1
The very best treatment I ever experienced as a Diamond was the Bangkok Hilton on the river. Did not have to stand in a check in line, just ushered to a private lounge area near the check in desk, given drinks while we waited, given a full river front suite on the 17th floor etc.
The real kicker was my GF was sick. One day while I was out of the room, she was sleeping on the sofa in the living room. Someone from the hotel entered the room while she was sleeping and placed a full bouquet of flowers on the coffee table in front of her and also left a bowl of soup. When my GF woke up, she was beyond thrilled.
BTW, we were staying on points.

Last edited by bigbuy; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:38 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by bigbuy
+1
The very best treatment I ever experienced as a Diamond was the Bangkok Hilton on the river. Did not have to stand in a check in line, just ushered to a private lounge area near the check in desk, given drinks while we waited, given a full river front suite on the 17th floor etc.
The real kicker was my GF was sick. One day while I was out of the room, she was sleeping on the sofa in the living room. Someone from the hotel entered the room while she was sleeping and placed a full bouquet of flowers on the coffee table in front of her and also left a bowl of soup. When my GF woke up, she was beyond thrilled.
BTW, we were staying on points.
OTOH, I won't be that thrilled if someone just enter my room while I am sleeping or doing whatever. Imagine my reaction if I woke up with a stranger standing next to me...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mmdough
OTOH, I won't be that thrilled if someone just enter my room while I am sleeping or doing whatever. Imagine my reaction if I woke up with a stranger standing next to me...
I knew that was going to come up. Apparently from what we could find out, they DID knock on the door. My GF was really out of it and I guess the person assumed no one was in the room and came in surprised to see my GF on the sofa asleep.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
Hmm... I assumed the Resort credit would be good for the base rate, as long as you stay at one of the 80 Resort properties. What makes you think the credit can't be applied to the base rate?
From the way I interpret this, the resort credit will cover incidental charges at resorts.

"Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases."
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
I currently have the Citi Hilton Reserve, anniversary date 8/1 and I have already earned a free night with over $10K spending since my anniversary date. If I spend $15K on my new Amex card between 2/1 and 8/1 will I earn another free night? If the answer is no the first free night certificate I would receive from Amex would be in August 2020 (since I would earn it by spending $15K between 8/18 and 8/19) and by then I would have paid Amex $285 in annual fees.
Yes, you will receive another weekend night if you spend $15K between 2/1 and 8/1/18.
My read of this is that:

1. If your Citi Reserve anniversary date is after the switchover, you will earn a free night at your anniversary provided you hit the $10k threshold prior to the switchover.
2. If your Citi Reserve anniversary date is after the switchover, you will earn a free night at your anniversary provided you hit the $15k threshold after the switchover but prior to your anniversary.
3. Provided you fulfill #1 and #2 , Hilton Honors will fulfill two weekend night certs at your anniversary.

My guess is that since these certs are fulfilled by Hilton, and not Citi, I would think that the switchover will not move up the fulfillment date for the Citi cert, ala Chase Fairmont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.