Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
All the villas look like they are infinitely nicer than the Conrad from the video; looks like a huge pool for all villas, even the base beach villas, and a huge improvement to the tiny pool and deck on the base water villas at the Conrad. Hopefully they don’t have those huge walls extending 25+ feet out into the ocean blocking all wind and airflow like the Conrad does.....those decks got 🔥🔥
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by harrisk7
a huge improvement to the tiny pool and deck on the base water villas at the Conrad.
... with commensurate pricing and surely not available as standard awards.

As for the beach villas, I am concerned about those mini-jetties every 3 units or so, which suggest a strong current which would otherwise wash away the sand, and will definitely detract from the tropical island beach feeling. With characteristics comparable/superior to the Conrad's deluxe beach villas, no doubt they will be in high demand as standard awards, perhaps in a Bora Bora like scenario where each night has to be booked 365 days ahead of time.

Also, I appreciate the Conrad for its non built-up areas on the smaller island, and relative sense of space on the larger island, which seem to be missing from this new W-A with admittedly highly specified villas on every available piece of land (and water). Great for staying in/by one's pool, but CR might have the edge for water/beach/land activities. The ratio of water villas to 'public' beach front also looks very low, for water villa residents who would like some time in the sand.

The nearby empty islands on Google maps might make for good snorkeling trips.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I’d assume they would build concrete breakwaters around the island to take the effect of the current and waves away like they do at the Conrad....

I’m hoping they will allow boat transfers between the Waldorf and Conrad, say you wanted to do 5 and 5. It was only about 10 minutes away from the Conrad by seaplane when we flew over it; one would think a boat transfer to the other would be possible.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I thought the opening couple of minutes felt very much like "Dubai by the Sea", but I do have to admit that the Villas look nice - very reminiscent of the Cheval Blanc Randheli which clearly wins in pure luxury terms vs. the Conrad.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

I’d assume they would build concrete breakwaters around the island to take the effect of the current and waves away like they do at the Conrad...
Rangali island has a much larger 'continental shelf', so to speak, which enables the implementation of such breakwaters, and it still suffers from erosion problems especially on the northwestern side of its big island, where onshore perpendicular concrete walls make for an unattractive section of beach.

The steep dropoffs off Ithaafushi's middle island must make it a challenge to keep the sand on its beaches in the desired configuration.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I thought the opening couple of minutes felt very much like "Dubai by the Sea"
Hopefully not too apt a metaphor... The 'sandless' arrival pier and lobby do seem set up for the W-A brand's target audience.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by monahos
Rangali island has a much larger 'continental shelf', so to speak, which enables the implementation of such breakwaters, and it still suffers from erosion problems especially on the northwestern side of its big island, where onshore perpendicular concrete walls make for an unattractive section of beach.
After they removed most of the mostly-underwater wall between the tip of Rangalifinolhu and the OWS / Mandhoo 18mths ago, it has been much much better and is now not really a problem although they still have the walls emanating from the beach into the water so it still looks less than perfect. Now the erosion is occuring further down the island, especially near the beach volleyball court (villas 201-205) where they've had to put sandbags onto the beach and cover them with more sand.

Originally Posted by monahos
The 'sandless' arrival pier and lobby do seem set up for the W-A brand's target audience.
Yes. This is a shame. This property is going to fall far short on natural beauty compared to Rangali. The undergrowth on both Rangali and Rangalifinolhu at the Conrad, and the pathways through it, give you a completely immersed feeling.....like you're in a hospitable jungle. The W-A will feel rather fake, like the O&O Reethi Rah. Like you say, it's going to appeal to a certain audience but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Certainly not mine but perhaps I will visit once if the base villas aren't hiked up to something like 150K pts per night which Hilton could well do.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:33 am

I’d assume they would build concrete breakwaters around the island to take the effect of the current and waves away like they do at the Conrad....
If you mean breakwaters further out (like the low walls surrounding Iru Fushi) then they aren't able to do that due to the limited size of the lagoon so it is indeed difficult for them to keep the sand along the middle stretch and the eastern half of the resort. There's really no way they can do without those ugly walls emanating from what was the sandbank every few villas. At least they look to be making an effort to reduce the eyesore by having greenery on the tops of some of the breakers.

I’m hoping they will allow boat transfers between the Waldorf and Conrad, say you wanted to do 5 and 5. It was only about 10 minutes away from the Conrad by seaplane when we flew over it; one would think a boat transfer to the other would be possible.
Impossible to be only 10mins flight time from the Conrad. It's 7-8min / 20km from MLE so it's the other way around, more like 22-23min flight time.
Either resort will be able to provide a speedboat service but expect to pay in the region of 3000-3500K++ for the transfer. It will be far cheaper for even a family of 4 to take the seaplane back from the Conrad to MLE then speedboat to Ithaafushi or vice versa.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:33 pm

can't wait
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Looking forward to this one. Whenever rooms become available please can someone post in this thread.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Looks great much more like the St Regis than the Conrad, where the room design feels well past its sell by date. Why would anyone choose the Conrad as a redemption rather than this? I look forward to trying next year.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:51 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Better start saving those HHonors points!!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Looks great much more like the St Regis than the Conrad, where the room design feels well past its sell by date. Why would anyone choose the Conrad as a redemption rather than this? I look forward to trying next year.
Wish that they could swap the hard product around (with the Conrad). Then you'd have the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Wish that they could swap the hard product around (with the Conrad). Then you'd have the best of both worlds.
The Conrad is presumably beyond bringing up to the latest accommodation standard though. You would have to do so much work and drastically cut the number of guests and force up prices.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:26 pm

So it will be interesting to see what the UWS looks like when finished. I don't really think the number of guests / villas needs to be cut, though I suppose this would differ from person to person. It's a huge resort with good shape and layout and you don't realise there are 500 or so guests there at any one time. 150 villas is about right for a good balance between size and privacy. There are plenty of resorts with a much higher ratio of villas to actual land area.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
So it will be interesting to see what the UWS looks like when finished. I don't really think the number of guests / villas needs to be cut, though I suppose this would differ from person to person. It's a huge resort with good shape and layout and you don't realise there are 500 or so guests there at any one time. 150 villas is about right for a good balance between size and privacy. There are plenty of resorts with a much higher ratio of villas to actual land area.
its not about the size/ratio at the UWS it is about the Conrad.

The Conrad villas are about half the size of their equivalent at other luxury properties. To me that makes the Contad a total non starter as the rooms are so sub par. This is a shame because I like the resort but couldn't ever see how I could stay there again after the SR. It would be like visiting a youth hostel after a luxury hotel

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Apr 15, 2018 at 11:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.