Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
It's $12 a night unless you're traveling there alone. Why would anyone pay even a dollar more than they agreed at the time of booking?
Exactly, a contract is a contract. Both parties agree no matter how petty unanticipated/unagreed additional expenses are perceived by some. Unless, there are some terms upon checkout which explicitly supercede your reservation and state your nightly fee is a final terms of conditions. I recently went through this nonsense with​​​ a company here in Japan whom had violated various M/C merchant agreements while acting as if they were never wrong. They were lucky I'm a tolerant person. I acted in good faith, corresponded proactively, and they corrected it accordingly once they were informed and warned. Some of those here whom are accepting of whatever they are told are also compliant to a newly developing standard for hotels to charge guests worldwide and ultimately get shafted at the expense of everyone else having to do so too. At the rate we've been going the last few years we will soon see check-in/check-out fees added to our bills.

Last edited by scwam; Jul 3, 2019 at 12:36 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
If anyone is looking to go in November, I just cancelled my reservation from Nov 8- Nov 20. Decided to go back to the Conrad. Just my own humble opinion which isn't worth much, I like the food prices and selection at Conrad. Looking at the Waldorf Astoria, I just feel like I am getting gouged everywhere, and honestly, I don't want to feel like that when I am on vacation. I think $120 for a peking duck is pretty outrageous, $40 for a bowl of noodles, I just can't do it. Maybe I'm not this hotels clientele, but I just feel like overall I can get a better value at the Conrad Maldives for about 25% less points. Good luck to those that go, and enjoy!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by scwam
Does anyone have any links insta / Twitter accounts of anyone staying at present?
I can't find hardly anything except for the WA insta account, I take it much of First week stayers are not FT or blog posters...😩
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Tilly71
Does anyone have any links insta / Twitter accounts of anyone staying at present?
I can't find hardly anything except for the WA insta account, I take it much of First week stayers are not FT or blog posters...😩
I've been following the waldorfastoriamaldives hashtag on IG, the first genuine guest posts / stories I've seen are from d.csomaandras

Everything looks as expected to me for a new Waldorf.

EDIT: Searching Instagram for the location Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi brings up lots of guest posts.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Did @alanslegal arrive yet? Eagerly awaiting his report.
He’s there ... it’s just that the WiFi costs $100/mb so no FT for him... Just kidding I don’t actually know.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by soccerguy985
If anyone is looking to go in November, I just cancelled my reservation from Nov 8- Nov 20. Decided to go back to the Conrad. Just my own humble opinion which isn't worth much, I like the food prices and selection at Conrad. Looking at the Waldorf Astoria, I just feel like I am getting gouged everywhere, and honestly, I don't want to feel like that when I am on vacation. I think $120 for a peking duck is pretty outrageous, $40 for a bowl of noodles, I just can't do it. Maybe I'm not this hotels clientele, but I just feel like overall I can get a better value at the Conrad Maldives for about 25% less points. Good luck to those that go, and enjoy!
I'm having a similar internal debate.

We're booked for 5 nights at the Conrad and 3 at the WA at the end of Nov. I've already gone and booked the Conrad for those 3 nights as well (so I have both hotels booked on those last 3 nights) because I'm not convinced the WA is going to be for us.

That said, as I've got both options available I can wait a few months before making a final decision.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Rizla
MOFO you own a FERARRI!!!!!
Originally Posted by goliath
Yo MOFO, it's spelled FERRARI!!!!!
A relative of @worldTrvl by any chance?!

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
Those eggs organic or cage free ?
They're hatched in the bamboo nests at Terra.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:21 am

The five star resorts in the Maldives have some of the biggest breakfast buffet spreads seen, usually complemented by a menu of hot dishes you can order in addition. Is there any reason for thinking this place won't have that? The insta picture is just a snap of some nice room service breakfasty foods that the marketing person thinks look pretty, and not a documentation of the only dishes you'll be offered to eat.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:35 am

[QUOTE=Rizla;31264169]One guy is complaining about 6USD per night!/QUOTE]

They have every right to complain and honestly should. It's exactly how resorts end up nickle and diming everyone. $6 here, $5 there, $10 there. Before you know you've spend a few extra hundred dollars on "small things that aren't a big deal". They do add up. And resorts do it because of people like you who would never ever leave a bad review at a hotel. You're a pushover.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Well, there's the first TA review now live.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ale_Atoll.html
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
[QUOTE=dcht;31265174]
Originally Posted by Rizla
One guy is complaining about 6USD per night!/QUOTE]

They have every right to complain and honestly should. It's exactly how resorts end up nickle and diming everyone. $6 here, $5 there, $10 there. Before you know you've spend a few extra hundred dollars on "small things that aren't a big deal". They do add up. And resorts do it because of people like you who would never ever leave a bad review at a hotel. You're a pushover.
Me a pushover? LOL. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
It's $12 a night unless you're traveling there alone. Why would anyone pay even a dollar more than they agreed at the time of booking?
It is a Green Tax for the love of God! You are going to a country that is slowly sinking underwater due to rising ocean levels! And one that is surrounded by water that has become a one-use plastic dumping zone.

I am in no way some crazy eco-freak. I love a good whale blubber sandwich as much as the next guy. But come on?!?

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jul 3, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Well, there's the first TA review now live.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ale_Atoll.html
This review is very unhelpful. But thanks for posting it!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Did @alanslegal arrive yet? Eagerly awaiting his report.
Hey, we are not there yet but will be on the 5th. My notes says that @Stivelio will be arriving on same day, @jphripjah on the 6th and @Eschalon on the 7th.
The resort has not confirmed our pick up / yacht time (and we are about 40 hours out assuming we get the 10am boat)

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
On the activity menu,
" inflatables / beach toys " air filling : 15 usd
does that include the ones hotel provides ?
or does the fee applies to the ones we brought with us from home?
It would be ridiculous if they really charge this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
TD[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Hey, we are not there yet but will be on the 5th. My notes says that @Stivelio will be arriving on same day, @jphripjah on the 6th and @Eschalon on the 7th.
The resort has not confirmed our pick up / yacht time (and we are about 40 hours out assuming we get the 10am boat)

Good luck and safe travels to all of the Waldorf Maldives pioneers. We are all looking forward to your objective reporting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.