Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Its not about the size/ratio at the UWS it is about the Conrad.
? I was talking about the design of the interior (of the UWS) and how it's going to make all the other villas' interiors look even more outdated than they already are.

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Conrad villas are about half the size of their equivalent at other luxury properties. To me that makes the Contad a total non starter as the rooms are so sub par. This is a shame because I like the resort but couldn't ever see how I could stay there again after the SR. It would be like visiting a youth hostel after a luxury hote
What they'd need to do with the BVs is re-do every block of 4 into 2 units, redecorate up to the standard of other luxury properties and then, if they wanted to, build another 14 or so units by extending the RWVs further out.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
In terms of the hard product, it looks very impressive. Now we need to see if the soft product is to much; whether the dining prices are significantly more expensive, etc and so on. Obviously I am keen to go there on points (who isn't?) but won't be upset if I end up stuck at the Conrad instead.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Are there any house reefs accessible from the beach easily at this resort? Does anyone know?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by nort
Are there any house reefs accessible from the beach easily at this resort? Does anyone know?
From the OP's Google map screenshot you'd think so. Problem is most of the coral is destroyed during construction and it takes years to recover. That, together with the fact that the vast majority of the world's coral is either dead or in very bad shape, makes for a very grim outlook. You're not going to have anything close to a decent house reef to speak of there for the best part of the next decade. The upside is that fish feed on the algae that is growing on the dead coral so there will be plenty of marine life to see.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
will anyone soon be leaving the Conrad and able to take updated aerial pictures of the progress thats been made in the last 3 months since my pictures were taken in January?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by harrisk7
will anyone soon be leaving the Conrad and able to take updated aerial pictures of the progress thats been made in the last 3 months since my pictures were taken in January?
Probably better off posting this in the Rangali thread. There are a couple of FT'ers there right now so you might be in luck.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Probably better off posting this in the Rangali thread. There are a couple of FT'ers there right now so you might be in luck.
good point
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Hoping these come up at 95K. Currently we've saved about 400K. My guess would be we're not so lucky. Or, like the St. Regis, it'll be 95K for starters and change soon after. Still bitter I wasn't able to ride that train.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Hoping these come up at 95K. Currently we've saved about 400K. My guess would be we're not so lucky. Or, like the St. Regis, it'll be 95K for starters and change soon after. Still bitter I wasn't able to ride that train.
I thought the max Hilton charged was 95k for a standard room?
I know they play games with what a standard room is, and how many they have at that level, but there should be room rooms at 95k from where you can then upgrade if required?
Old May 28, 2018, 9:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Subman
I thought the max Hilton charged was 95k for a standard room?
I know they play games with what a standard room is, and how many they have at that level, but there should be room rooms at 95k from where you can then upgrade if required?
Well, that's what I would've thought about St. Regis. Would've thought a base room would be 35K a night (as it was for a very short time)... but think they ended up classifying all rooms as suites.

Just consider that Conrad and their rooms are really nice at 95K. So if this is supposedly going to be more upscale- and I get the impression it will be- it'd stand to reason that Hilton may end up doing something similar to what St. Regis did.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Well, that's what I would've thought about St. Regis. Would've thought a base room would be 35K a night (as it was for a very short time)... but think they ended up classifying all rooms as suites.

Just consider that Conrad and their rooms are really nice at 95K. So if this is supposedly going to be more upscale- and I get the impression it will be- it'd stand to reason that Hilton may end up doing something similar to what St. Regis did.
Starwood has a bunch of properties where there are no rooms available at Standard award rates....

From the SPG T&C

Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui, Thailand; The Naka Island, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Phuket, Thailand; Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas, Steamboat Springs, Colorado; The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal, Costa Rica; The St Regis Bora Bora and the Le Meridien Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia; Mystique, Santorini, Santorini, Greece; The St. Regis Bali Resort, Nusa Dua, Indonesia; Hotel Cala di Volpe, Hotel Pitrizza, and Hotel Romazzino, Costa Smeralda, Italy; W Retreat & Spa, North Ari Atoll, Maldives; The St. Regis Vommuli Resort, Vommuli, Maldives; W Retreat, Koh Samui, Thailand; Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai, U.A.E.; St. Regis Residence Club, Aspen, CO; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, FL; and Phoenician Residences, Luxury Collection Residence Club, Scottsdale, AZ.

Hilton currently has zero. It's certainly possible they will start charging more than 95k points for redemptions at any given property at some point in the near future. More likely IMO, they'll just designate a very small number of rooms as "Standard." IHG has done this in Bora Bora.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Construction Pictures from 6/7 & 6/8

Last edited by harrisk7; Jun 8, 2018 at 9:53 pm Reason: More pictures
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:55 am

TY for posting these pictures!!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:50 am

Thanks very much. How did you get these? Do you have access to any higher resolutions?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks very much. How did you get these? Do you have access to any higher resolutions?
I have a friend who is working on the construction there. I dont have access to higher resolution; not sure what phone hes has that hes taking them on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.