Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Reef Villa is base villa now. Point availability is wide open.^
Thank you very much!! I booked for Nov 2020....was really preferring the beach villa though!
Old Dec 25, 2019, 4:59 pm

Why JAN to APR on 2020 Standard Room Rewards is unavailable ?
Old Dec 25, 2019, 10:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
For people who has stayed at this hotel and Conrad Rangali, can you please share your inputs, which you like and dislike between these hotels . And which hotel you prefer to come back for your future trip.

Thank you.
There are some comparison comments here;

WA Maldives vs Conrad vs Conrad Bora Bora
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:50 pm

Credit Card Charge for a points booking

Looking to book 5 nights in November and the last page of the booking notes a deposit will be charged to my credit card for $12k??
I noticed on some earlier posts that the transaction is not actually charged. Is this correct? Does anyone have any recent experience? Do they expect me to pay $12k and then refund me in after my stay?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by munch2001
Credit Card Charge for a points booking

Looking to book 5 nights in November and the last page of the booking notes a deposit will be charged to my credit card for $12k??
I noticed on some earlier posts that the transaction is not actually charged. Is this correct? Does anyone have any recent experience? Do they expect me to pay $12k and then refund me in after my stay?
I start my search from the main Hilton page and then I don’t get this warning or charge to my cc.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:02 pm

April 2020 Availability

Currently booked with Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for Apr 11-17. Lately on Conrad's FT there's been a lot of negative feedback regarding Conrad's service and overall quality reducing. With that said, it has somewhat taken away my excitement of visiting Conrad. What are the chances that WA availability for the same dates as my Conrad stay opens up? I'd be willing to cancel Conrad and book WA instead. First time in Maldives in general.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I re-read the wiki, which guest confirmed that the pizza ovens at Nava were replaced recently / and that suitable-qualified italian installer turned up at the resort?

I can tell you of two other stories that I was told that relate to other restaurants but they sound awfully similar and made up.
I also read the Wiki and was chatting with the Director of Culinary at breakfast this morning who confirmed that the pizza ovens at Nava were replaced recently. He was especially proud of them and encouraged me to try the pizza there since the one at Tasting Table does not have the same oven and in his own words is "not the same". When I get to Nava will confirm whether any Italian came over to install and train the staff there.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Carlos Adrian Cueto
Currently booked with Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for Apr 11-17. Lately on Conrad's FT there's been a lot of negative feedback regarding Conrad's service and overall quality reducing. With that said, it has somewhat taken away my excitement of visiting Conrad. What are the chances that WA availability for the same dates as my Conrad stay opens up? I'd be willing to cancel Conrad and book WA instead. First time in Maldives in general.
I'm at WA in April for 10 nights. And booked I think in June or July 2019. It is possible but don't get your hopes up. As the beginning of April and easter time is considered (extra) high season. So they probably have sold out of their allotted point redemptions. I think that if they were to release availability, it would be very close in. (2-3 weeks in advance) . Just be happy at the Conrad. I have heard that the Conrad is more stunning in terms of natural beauty.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
For people who has stayed at this hotel and Conrad Rangali, can you please share your inputs, which you like and dislike between these hotels . And which hotel you prefer to come back for your future trip.

Thank you.
I just arrived at WA for a 12 night stay after completing 7 nights at Conrad (third trip to Conrad). I will continue to post about the WA during our stay.

Initial impressions are that the WA is stunning - with service and hard product both being 5 star. This resort is light years better than the Conrad. I will happily update during our stay if this turns out to be an incorrect assessment. Conrad has a lot of work to do in order to properly compete.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by Michael19887
The wiki has been updated to present the resort overview in a manner that removes bias/inaccurate information and to more closely align it with the actual experience at the resort. This included rearranging bullets, updating certain pricing information, removing unnecessary drama, and adding a few tidbits throughout that I hope are helpful.
Thanks Michael. I will add further updates to the Wiki as well during my stay at the WA. The Wiki for the WA was a bit of a joke before.

My initial impressions of WA vs Conrad are entirely aligned with you. This is true paradise.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by samuelo
I also read the Wiki and was chatting with the Director of Culinary at breakfast this morning who confirmed that the pizza ovens at Nava were replaced recently. He was especially proud of them and encouraged me to try the pizza there since the one at Tasting Table does not have the same oven and in his own words is "not the same". When I get to Nava will confirm whether any Italian came over to install and train the staff there.
You can ask him for yourself if he is still there. There is also a limited time lunch pasta menu at Nava that they are running for Festive season. Do try the pizza, the Parma one was our favorite. Also - can recommend the gnocchi on the festive menu.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
Thanks Michael. I will add further updates to the Wiki as well during my stay at the WA. The Wiki for the WA was a bit of a joke before.

My initial impressions of WA vs Conrad are entirely aligned with you. This is true paradise.
Great to hear; keep the updates coming for everyone’s benefit. It’s a community wiki and should be treated as such. After actually staying there; it was mind-boggling to think a 5 star resort of this caliber was presented in the wiki in the manner that it was.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:38 am

Great to hear; keep the updates coming for everyone’s benefit. It’s a community wiki and should be treated as such. After actually staying there; it was mind-boggling to think a 5 star resort of this caliber was presented in the wiki in the manner that it was.
Agreed entirely - this resort has not been represented accurately.

For context: I have had the pleasure to experience all levels of hospitality from rustic youth hostels in Paris to the modern luxury of the Four Seasons or classic luxury of the NY St. Regis. All levels have merits as long as the guest feels as though they are getting value for their dollar.

So far the WA Maldives is the finest hotel I have ever visited and by far the greatest value / dollar.

I look forward to sharing my experiences (at both the WA and the Conrad) with this forum so that everyone has an accurate picture of the pros/cons of different options in the Maldives.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:53 am

@Michael And other WA guests:

What is your opinion about must do dining / drink options?

My list includes:
+ Burger at Ledge
+ Pizza at Nava
+ Li Long Chinese cuisine

Tonight I am headed back to Peacock alley for 1/2 priced Barrel aged cocktails - the mixologist gave me a small sample at Happy Hour today and it was top notch. I’ll post a review and menu photo later tonight.

Anything else I am missing that is a must do?

You can ask him for yourself if he is still there. There is also a limited time lunch pasta menu at Nava that they are running for Festive season. Do try the pizza, the Parma one was our favorite. Also - can recommend the gnocchi on the festive menu.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by brandonpkt
@Michael And other WA guests:

What is your opinion about must do dining / drink options?

My list includes:
+ Burger at Ledge
+ Pizza at Nava
+ Li Long Chinese cuisine

Tonight I am headed back to Peacock alley for 1/2 priced Barrel aged cocktails - the mixologist gave me a small sample at Happy Hour today and it was top notch. I’ll post a review and menu photo later tonight.

Anything else I am missing that is a must do?
Here are a few things we enjoyed:
- The Ledge - Also must try in addition to the burger is the peri peri chicken, lobster roll at lunch (if you are from the USA, it is served Connecticut style warm with melted butter), eggplant (appetizer); cigar smoked old fashioned cocktail
- Terra was a great meal. Check out the menu and if looks good to you, you will enjoy it.
- Li Long - We had the 7 course meal for 199++. It was a ridiculous amount of food and you will leave stuffed, but it is a great way to sample all of their best dishes. I would recommend it. If you don't do that, you've got to at least order the duck.
- Nava - Parma E Rucola pizza; dark & stormy cocktail
- Yasmeen - We recommend sharing one of the set grills for 2 - it is a lot of food - there is a choice of seafood, meat, or vegetarian; loved the garlic sauce for dipping
- Glow - I don't really think you can go wrong with any of the entrees; we had the snapper, prawns with risotto, and heard the steak was good as well
- In Villa dining - soft shell crab sandwich with truffle fries was the best of the dishes we ordered the day we dined in
- Go to the lobsters & champagne on Sunday and tell us all how it is

Another couple we chatted with enjoyed the sunset fishing trip. They caught 7!! fish, and the resort prepares everything caught for you the next day in multiple cooking styles (grilled, fried, whatever you like) with side dishes. We didn't do this excursion but will next time.

If the spa is your thing, they have several overwater treatment rooms with glass bottom floors, just confirm you will be in one of those when you book.

If you relax at the main pool, they provide the bottles of water that are in the room and a welcome cold tea as well. We also relaxed at a quiet spot on the beach with very soft sand all the way at the other end of the beach from the pool, closer to Li Long, and there was never anyone there.

Last edited by Michael19887; Dec 27, 2019 at 8:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.