Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Old Aug 27, 19, 5:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Originally Posted by jphripjah View Post
If instead of having, say, 200 bikes in green they got 50 each in green, blue, red, and yellow, I think it might cut down on this confusion. Or they could number the bikes. Or just make some removable luggage type tags saying "Villa 104, Villa 609, etc." and put those on the bikes when they are assigned to a guest at the start of the guest's stay.
Tags would be ideal or otherwise coloured bicycles, like they do at Conrad Bora Bora. Our bicycles got pinched three times, twice after breakfast and once after afternoon tea. We would inform staff of the situation and we would either be driven by cart to wherever we needed (usually our villa) and then delivered fresh bicycles to our room, or we'd wait a few minutes for new bicycles to be brought to us. Once we just decided to walk along the 'beach' to our villas and by the time we got back, our bicycles were already replaced at our room.
Old Aug 27, 19, 6:20 pm

Just got upgraded (downgraded?) to OWV from BV on a 5 night award stay in February 2020. It's what the wife wanted, so it works for us. Thanks everyone that alerted us to this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 1:52 am

Has anyone with a 2019 points booking successfully up/downgraded to OWV from BV without charge?
Old Aug 28, 19, 5:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by i.am.lost View Post
Has anyone with a 2019 points booking successfully up/downgraded to OWV from BV without charge?
I tried to but they wouldnt make an exception for the booking I have in Nov. Going to switch to Conrad as its our first time in the Maldives (maybe last) and
we want over water I think.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by james0499 View Post

I tried to but they wouldnt make an exception for the booking I have in Nov. Going to switch to Conrad as its our first time in the Maldives (maybe last) and
This is my current mood as well. Booked 5 nights at Conrad and 3 at WA - Coming from a Superior Water Villa at Conrad might feel odd going into a BV at WA. And I'm not keen on paying $400++ a night to go overwater when the only reason it isn't free is because we're a month too early.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james0499 View Post

I tried to but they wouldn’t make an exception for the booking I have in Nov. Going to switch to Conrad as it’s our first time in the Maldives (maybe last) and
Website lists villas by category as BV-RV-OWV for 2019 and RV-OWV-BV for 2020. Changes from BV to OWV is an upgrade for 2019 but a downgrade for 2020. I know it is weird but that's what WA decided.
Old Aug 28, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
This is my current mood as well. Booked 5 nights at Conrad and 3 at WA - Coming from a Superior Water Villa at Conrad might feel odd going into a BV at WA. And I'm not keen on paying $400++ a night to go overwater when the only reason it isn't free is because we're a month too early.
Agree - doesn't seem logical. Also, I just find the WA are really weird in their correspondence to the point where I simply don't feel like I want to go anymore! I'm emailing about the possibility of changing to an OWV, and in the response they randomly add the party line about the bleeding yacht transfer!

"Delighted to inform you that we have luxury yacht transfers for all our guests and it will take around 30 to 45 minutes from Velana International airport which can be arranged 24/7 according to your international flight arrival time.
Transfer fee is at US$350+23.2% Tax and service charge per adult per way. For children below 5 years, the transfer is complimentary and US$100+23.2% Tax and service charge per child per way for children between 5 to 11 years."

1) I didn't mention transfer. Not once.
2) Everyone else seems to be getting quoted $300 nowadays. So what is the price.
3) I booked on day 1 and you wrongly sent me the 'mistake' price of it being for a return journey, and you emailed me saying you would honour it.

It just comes across really poor IMO. Inconsistent from one person to the next and incredibly impersonal. I just got married at the WA in Rome and they couldn't be more different. If they can't get their service right over email, it doesn't really fill me with confidence for when I arrive on the island...
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:31 pm
wsc

What is the privacy like in the pools in the Beach Villa and Overeater Villa?
for the beach villa does the folliage give you good privacy?
And for the ovwr water villa can the person in the villa next to you see you when you are both in the pool? (Obviously someone in the sea will be able to see you)
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
If instead of having, say, 200 bikes in green they got 50 each in green, blue, red, and yellow, I think it might cut down on this confusion. Or they could number the bikes. Or just make some removable luggage type tags saying "Villa 104, Villa 609, etc." and put those on the bikes when they are assigned to a guest at the start of the guest's stay.
I saw some bikes with numbers on them (ours did). A little wooden looking tag with the Villa number under the seat, like a license plate. Perhaps this is a new process they're slowly putting in place.

I do recall riding our two bikes to Tasting Table, and then when we were leaving only two bikes were parked there, but when we started to ride off some guests said "those are ours," and I said "Well, ours were here and now they are gone I think they're first come first served" and then a staff member intervened and said I could take them, but maybe I was being a dick there.
If they had numbers on them, then yes, I'd say you were being a dick. Ours got taken at breakfast one day, we walked back to our villa as opposed to taking other bikes, but used WhatsApp to tell our personal concierge. The bikes were replaced quickly (even the same bikes, and I'm sure because there was a mark on the bell). When the bikes were re-delivered, he even took a picture of them parked outside out villa and sent it in the WhatsApp convo.
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
Originally Posted by wsc View Post
What is the privacy like in the pools in the Beach Villa and Overeater Villa?
for the beach villa does the folliage give you good privacy?
And for the ovwr water villa can the person in the villa next to you see you when you are both in the pool? (Obviously someone in the sea will be able to see you)
We were in a BV and I would say the privacy was ok, though that also depends on which Villa you're in. When I walked to the sides of my patio (towards either of the swinging bed things), I could see into the neighbor's pool. Now, I'd have to really look, but I could see there.

One day we rode our bikes to a spot between Villa 617 and 619. The privacy for the guests in 619 was not good to say the least. I would not recommend nude sunbathing next to the pool there, even though that's what was occurring...
Old Aug 28, 19, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by hoyt View Post
I saw some bikes with numbers on them (ours did). A little wooden looking tag with the Villa number under the seat, like a license plate. Perhaps this is a new process they're slowly putting in place.
It would be even better if WA could provide personalised license plates with our initials or names on them, a la SS Laamu or FS Landaa Giraavaru. It wouldn't cost them very much (the initials could be recycled for reuse), and these small added touches go a long way in improving the guest experience.

Hopefully someone from WA is reading this thread, or maybe a FTer here could bring up this suggestion to management during their stay.

Last edited by flyerchatter; Aug 28, 19 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 28, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hoyt View Post

If they had numbers on them, then yes, I'd say you were being a dick. Ours got taken at breakfast one day, we walked back to our villa as opposed to taking other bikes, but used WhatsApp to tell our personal concierge. The bikes were replaced quickly (even the same bikes, and I'm sure because there was a mark on the bell). When the bikes were re-delivered, he even took a picture of them parked outside out villa and sent it in the WhatsApp convo.
I think the numbering is very new, I stayed in early July. It was just a free for all.
Old Aug 29, 19, 7:19 pm

Just changed the last four nights of our eight-night stay to an OWV from a BV. The nights are all booked with points, as one block of five and three individual nights. I can see the room change on the reservations.

Now my issue is that I've got two weekend night certificates that I didn't have when I booked, and now there's no availability. In the past I haven't had success getting Hilton to swap out points reservations for certs when there's not extra availability. Beach villas don't seem to be going back into inventory either: a friend canceled his April award night last week and that night never showed up again. It's now been about twelve hours since my nights were converted from BV to OWV, and the only points bookings showing up are premium rooms.
Old Aug 29, 19, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Nice bike tour of the island visible here: https://youtu.be/342sltC50PU

Last edited by Roque Corona; Aug 29, 19 at 8:53 pm
Old Aug 29, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
For anyone that has been there, why is the BV considered a higher tier than OWV? By square footage OWV is bigger, but I am sure there is more to it.

Search this Thread