Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:12 am

I currently have a Water Villa booked at the Conrad on points / 2 weekend night certs for 7 nights total in Jan. I have the points to switch to the WA. For those that have done both, would you change it? I've never stayed at either one before and probably won't be back for a very long time if at all. A sincere thanks from a longtime lurker to all of you who've taken the time to share your experiences here.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:24 am

just released 12/23-28 but did not go back to inventory
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Food and Drink daily spend

We’ve been to the Conrad - so used to inflated prices in the Maldives, but the menu prices at this resort actually put us off going. Any feedback on daily spend yet?

Also - I know this has been covered at length already - but can you clarify that the complimentary breakfast for Gold/Diamond Hons does include eggs etc or do we have to pay the 30$ ++ extra!

We’re not big on the sweet offerings at Afternoon tea so are there options to go full savoury - are they flexible or is it one offering for all?

thanks guys - really enjoying reading the live feedback!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:05 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Swiftexplorer1
We’ve been to the Conrad - so used to inflated prices in the Maldives, but the menu prices at this resort actually put us off going. Any feedback on daily spend yet?

Also - I know this has been covered at length already - but can you clarify that the complimentary breakfast for Gold/Diamond Hons does include eggs etc or do we have to pay the 30$ ++ extra!

We’re not big on the sweet offerings at Afternoon tea so are there options to go full savoury - are they flexible or is it one offering for all?

For meals, some restaurants have PDFs on the menu / pricing

https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/e...staurants.html

For us, at dinner you can spend a lazy $200-$250++ as a couple without alcohol - at the a la carte restaurants. If you go for a set menu which they offer at a few of the restaurants, they range from $148++ to $398++ per person. In room dining if we order a pasta and a steak sandwich, it comes out to just over $100 inclusive of taxes.

Complimentary breakfast include eggs (scrambled, fried, poached, omelettes etc which you order off a menu aka piece of paper) plus the buffet spread. Also you get NV champagne, it was rotating between Billecart-Salmon or Moet & Chandon. Mind you, if you have a glass of the same champagne at dinner, it would be $62++!

Afternoon tea is pretty much identical - basically three tier snack food. One level savoury sandwiches (very very bite size only), then sweets, then fruits. Guess they want you to not be full and go spend another $400 on dinner later
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Swiftexplorer1

Speaking of food prices, I was at The Ledge the other night and one of their entrees was a type of beef I think prime rib listed at $350 per kg. That’s the exception though, of course, I think it was a special item for that night, they change the menu daily.

The free breakfast fast includes a full buffet and eggs cooked to order, choice from the menu of omelette, eggs Benedict, poached, over easy, sunny side up, etc. There’s no extra charge for the eggs.

Here’s a weird thing about the breakfast buffet. Every other buffet I’ve ever been to has packs of butter out, usually on ice, generally located somewhere near the breads.

Not here. The butter packs are kept squirreled away presumably under lock and key. You have to flag down a waiter and ask for butter. Then he’ll bring you a pack of Beillevaire butter a few minutes later. After a day or two you’ll learn to order butter when you arrive and order your orange juice.

I guess this is a luxury butter and the WA guests couldn’t be trusted to have free access to it on the buffet line, lest we would be lining our pockets with pack after pack of butter and stuffing our suitcases with it when we leave.

Now I guess their explanation could be “We want to make sure the butter is served at the right temperature, for your enjoyment and for food safety reasons, we don’t want to put out rock hard butter that’s hard to spread and then have it melt or get warm as it’s sitting out there on the line.” But they’ve got a yogurt/smoothie fridge they could keep the butter in there and give us free access to as much as they want, if they dare.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jul 11, 2019 at 3:33 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Thank you jphripjah for taking the time out of your vacation to explain and take photos for us eagerly waiting FTers!!

In your photo (which I've resized), how deep is the water in the light blue and dark blue areas?

I’m guessing the light blue/green water is about four feet drop but I don’t know for sure. I think they designed things here to have 10-40 meters of four foot deep water all around and then it drops off.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Just grabbed a twin-bed beach villa at BAR, which was the last one. I am not sure if I could successfully convert this cash booking into point redemption.
Anyway based on previous posts, it looks snorkeling at WA would be at least as good as Conrad? A sharp drop-off sounds a bit scary though!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:50 am

Does the Diamond breakfast include the a la carte menu, or items are extra charge?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
Does the Diamond breakfast include the a la carte menu, or items are extra charge?
The ala carte items are included. The full buffet is included. The still water is included. The butter’s included. The bacon’s included. All the food that you can see or smell or touch or that’s on the menu they hand you is included.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:44 am

jphripjah! You make me laugh with your comments!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jphripjah

The ala carte items are included. The full buffet is included. The still water is included. The butter’s included. The bacon’s included. All the food that you can see or smell or touch or that’s on the menu they hand you is included.
Just like the french butter, there is a special menu that is available, is not listed but one can access if you know. Tell you guys more later

I have left the resort and wow did the six nights just fly past, felt like yesterday we had arrived.

We rode the hired yacht and gosh was that a downgrade. Tell you more later too.

Boarding flight to DMK, Scare Asia flight 178 is back!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Bigtime thank you Alanslegal for all the tips and info!

Safe travels!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Once I used the FFM I will NEVER go back to a traditional snorkel. Buy the FFM and try it out in a controlled environment at home. Your pool. A friends pool. I did purchase several from Amazon and found the one I liked best. Returned the others. Having the “correct” one does help.

Not sure how deep people want to free dive, but have gone 20+ feet with no issues. I SCUBA so no need to dive deeper when snorkeling for me.

If you look in the WA activities list I posted a week or so ago it mentions snorkeling with something I had never heard of. So I Googled it. Looked interesting so I bought one. Tried it in the pool at home and loved it. Going to try it out in the ocean tomorrow.

https://www.powerbreatherusa.com/

TD
If you are going FFM, make sure you do not get one made in China. They have been implicated in deaths in Hawaii because of CO2 buildup. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-...elated-deaths/
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:22 am

I think I found a new favorite!

Using my SCUBA mask and this new “snorkel” was pretty sweet. You do have to practice a little with it, but we’ll worth it!

https://www.powerbreatherusa.com/

TD

PS....I have no stock in this company.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah

Kheily mamnoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.