Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:52 pm
jtz

Thanks all for the replies on length of stay.

Originally Posted by gnomey
based on my experience in this kind of beach/water-based vacation, it highly depends on what kind of traveler you are, and what activities you plan to pursue

if you are planning to dive/snorkel etc, then i think you probably need 4-5 days. a few reasons - weather may not be favorable to you on some days, you may not be able to see all the marine creatures you want in your first dive/snorkel and hence need to make subsequent attempts, you have other fun activities / day excursions you want to pursue besides dive/snorkel and each of these will take at least 1/2 day, and divers are not advisable to fly <18-24 hrs after their last dive. on top of all these, you may want some time off that you can roam on land to explore nook and cranny, take photos, or eat in a leisure manner without feeling rushed that you need to jump into the water again.

if you are planning to do nothing except reading / lounging / sun bathing, then you probably can stay as long (or as short) as you want until you are bored or run out of money. of course some would question what's the point of going all the way to maldives and do the same thing you could do back home or at a cheaper locale. all i can say is, diff strokes for diff people!
I'm definitely the first type of traveller. Staying in IC KS for 1 of the 4 nights, was a bit too much for me, I like bit of lounging but definitely more exploring. I'm yet to do a proper snorkel and am hoping I can have the skills to do so before a trip to Rangali. (dive is next on the list!)

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Well, you're probably not gonna like this but I think anything less than say 2 or 3 weeks is too short. Not that I have done a trip there for that many nights.....not yet anyway.....but there are quite a few FT'ers who stay at this property for 2 weeks at a time, every time they visit.
To put it bluntly, it really sucks going to paradise and having to leave only a week after you arrive, or start thinking about leaving a few days after you arrive. I absolutely love the Maldives, especialy Rangali, and hate that nagging "Damn, we've only got another 4 days left!" thought that enters my head 3 days into a 7-night stay. And the next day it's "Damn, we've only got another 3 days left!" and it gets worse as we get closer to leaving. By the second to last day I am beginning to loathe the sound of seaplanes..... My 30 or 35-night stay at the end of this year will put that to rest, however. I am so looking forward to getting away from the rat race that is Mainland China and just relaxing for a month, solid. Having said that, 99% of the people here can't bear to stay in a place like the Maldives for more than 4 nights because they think it's too quiet, and too boring, ROFLOL. Each to his own I suppose but to be perfectly honest they don't know how to relax and enjoy peace and quiet, let alone enjoy the sun. Be aware that Rangali is just that - peace and quiet (for the most part)! As an interesting point, I once asked the Director of Rooms how long the ideal stay was (based on guests' opinions) and she said 2 weeks. You'll find that those people are all from the US, Europe etc, where people, generally speaking, have different standards and ideas of what it is to relax and what a relaxing stay entails. They do it in a different way and that's one of the reasons why they keep going back to Rangali.

As for CKS, I have stayed there once and 3 nights was enough. On the CKS thread you'll find that is the concensus. They (Koh Samui and the Maldives) are vastly different environments and resorts in a place like Koh Samui are vastly different properties compared to resorts in the Maldives and Rangali in particular, so you should most certainly take that into consideration. If I were to go to a resort like Jumeirah Dhevanafushi - a tiny place with only 2 restaurants - I wouldn't want to stay more than 3 or 4 nights. It would certainly be enough as far as F&B options went. Rangali is another cookie entirely and its size and dining options (largest F&B operation in the Maldives) make a 7-night stay seem far too short. Size will always dictate length of stay to a certain degree for those who like variety. There are more places to explore and more that are private - no-one, I don't care where you're from - doesn't want to have any privacy at all and at quite a few resorts, privacy Rangali style isn't that easy to come by.

My questions to you are: Have you ever been to the Maldives before? Do you like beach resorts? What's the longest you have stayed at one? Do you like a lot of privacy or are you turned on by crowds and crowded, noisy beaches? Do you like to explore a little and do the odd excursion? Do you like to snorkel or scuba dive? Are you a foodie or are you happy with a buffet every night? Last but not least: What's your budget for this holiday? If you answer all those I can hopefully give you a pretty good idea of how long to stay.
Wow, 30 nights! I'm from London and totally get the 'need to unwind, relax, do nothing' kind of holiday. But, having said that, I've just realised I've never actually done a laid back relaxing holiday. I still manage to jam pack it with activities, sightseeing and just generally doing things.
In comparison to CKS, I had no idea that Rangali was a larger resort. Never been to the Maldives but its on my bucket list. The thing that draws me to it more though, is the vastness of the different atolls, exploring different islands and even the local 'no tourists' islands. Privacy is an absolute must, with a little bit of activities and excursion. Food is not an issue as long as I get to try out something different, get at least one nice romantic dinner in, otherwise open to anything. Hoping to have good skills to snorkel without fear by the time I go, and one day dive also (its a massive dream of mine!) Budget is kind of tight, hoping to make most of it on Barclaycard free night his and hers and points.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Are there any laundry facilities at the Conrad Maldives? If so, any idea of the costs?

If not, any idea on the costs of having the resort provide laundry services?

Thank you.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rjp123
Are there any laundry facilities at the Conrad Maldives? If so, any idea of the costs?

If not, any idea on the costs of having the resort provide laundry services?

Thank you.
considering a coke is USD8, I wouldn't attempt to send my laundry out, nor would I imagine they have a laundry facility for guests to use.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

[QUOTE=MaldivesFreak;29343065]Cheers. Is that a book you have in your villa or did you see it on the resort's website?

It's a booklet in the room containing information on all restaurants, excursions, fitness activities etc.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
considering a coke is USD8, I wouldn't attempt to send my laundry out, nor would I imagine they have a laundry facility for guests to use.
Laundry Service available here, e.g prices are shirt @ $6.00, shorts @ 5.50 and they offer same day / express or next day services.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tilly71
Laundry Service available here, e.g prices are shirt @ $6.00, shorts @ 5.50 and they offer same day / express or next day services.
bargain compared to the rest of the resort!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jtz
Hi all
I've read a lot of this thread and am hoping to stay in Rangali sometime this year.
Would love to know thoughts on length of stay. I know everyone has their own preference but for those that have been, how would it compare to IC Koh Samui 4 nights and 1 night Conrad Koh Samui, because I found that quite long.
I was thinking perhaps 3 nights?
And I'd love to know any thoughts on other differences between BV and WV, besides ones listed on their site?
Thanks
I stayed 3 nights in November and absolutely loved it. I didn't go longer because I didn't have any vacation days left, not enough points, and couldn't afford to spend more than I did. But I did not regret going for the 3 nights at all. I was lucky with the snorkeling excursion and saw a whale shark, turtles, and manta rays all in one trip. I snorkeled twice, went to happy hour twice, afternoon tea once, and breakfast three ways (Vilu, Atoll Market, in room dining). I stayed two nights in SWV and last night DBW (DBW was an upgrade from BV). I felt like I got a good taste of everything and know that next time, I can return for a longer trip. However, if you can stay longer, of course that would be preferred!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, United Plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Is your review showing yet? Will be interested to see what issues you had, especially with F&B.

That's really weird because all the woodwork was re-laquered in supposedly all the SWVs last year. Which villa was it?

Who was your host?
The review is still pending.

As for F&B, had a bizarre experience at Vilu . . . was at happy hour and asked around 6 pm if we could call from the bar to change our 7:15 Sunset Grill res for 2 people to Vilu. They said they'd take care of it and came back saying we just needed to wait till 7 for the kitchen to open, so we cancelled Sunset. We waited at the bar happily until 7:20 when another staff member came and told us that they would not have any tables until 9:20 pm which was unexplainable. We kept an eye on the place, and it was nearly empty all night. I had a work call at 10:30, so at that point, we just went with a "meh" meal at Rangali. Checked in with the Director of F&B and he sincerely apologized and comped a bottle of champagne . said there was a miscommunication, but I'm not sure what it was. Mandhoo food was good . . . sunset grill was way overcooked (past well done when ordering medium rare steak). Room service was unedible at times (seafood soup).

As to the SWV, maybe the floors had been redone, but the rest of the woodwork and general room condition was in terrible shape (the ceiling, the desk, sink, the furniture) -- see some pics in the TA review when it posts.

Host was Asif.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:16 am
formerly Sparkster

Here now until Thursday February 1

Hi

Am currently on the island. Any FTers here and want to say hi and compare notes, happy to do so.

Have been here for 5 nights already. Stayed in the water villa, beach villa and currently in the deluxe beach villa. No complaints whatsoever. I'm an avid traveler. It's the best place I've visited and best resort I've been to. Our host is Olga and she has been unobtrusively attentive and exemplary.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:12 am

Currently here for another couple of days. Stayed at Water villa and Beach VIlla. The water villa is so quiet and private while we can hear our next door neighbors at the beach villa. Noise isn't too bad though. The base level water villas are located at the smaller island while the beach villa is on the main island (this probably only matters if you have a kid and will be using the kids club). Both rooms are spacious and fantastic. I didn't experience any of the worn furniture that others have commented. Few additional observations.
1. Our room housekeeper is the same person for the room for the entire time. I was told that they work 2 months in a row, then have 8 straight days off. This made tipping easy as I didn't have change and is able to wait until the last day to tip my housekeeper. They come twice a day, which is especially helpful since they sweep out all the sand from the room.
2. Kids club staff is fantastic. You can leave the kids there and they basically babysit them for you. There are also planned activities throughout the day. Although sometimes they don't happen because of low participants.
3. We did the Whale Shark snorkling yesterday and it was a dud because no whale shark sighting. While I understand it is entirely out of the staff's control, I wish they would offer a second attempt for 50% off.
4. I ordered couple of eggs made to order for my kid and was charged $16++ per egg. After adding in the taxes and 10% service charge, the price for two eggs came out to $39.18, which is ridiculously high. Especially when you consider an order of fried rice includes an egg on top for the same price.
5. Today is day 6 of 7, and was only told today that my 5 year old eats free from the kids menu. Funny thing was I've been ordering from the kids menu and have been charged all this time.
6. Water sport staff is great and always there to assist. However, I do not like the location as we are limited to where we can kayak and use the paddleboat, so we hardly ever use it.
7. Ithaa was totally worth it! Lots of marine life near the restaurant and the food was delicious.
8. Ufaa hotpot for dinner was decent. However, service was a bit slow because our soup almost dried up on two occasions.
9. We mostly ate at Rangali Bar as the food prices are reasonable and tasted decent.
10. Personally, I think the Maldivian Lobster is the best bang for the buck on the menu. For $62++ you get 3 halves of a lobster. This is comparable in price in decent restaurants in NYC
11. Finally, was told that happy hour at Rangali Bar was 4-6 pm, which consists of 50% off drinks. Somehow, today it is 5-7 and I was charged full price when I went at 4pm
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:16 am

Does anyone if the prices at the Rangali bar have increased this week? We have just had exactly the same meal and drinks as of five days ago and it was nearly $10 more expensive tonight, I'm not that fussed about $10 but just interested to know.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:17 pm

Does anyone if the prices at the Rangali bar have increased this week? We have just had exactly the same meal and drinks as of five days ago and it was nearly $10 more expensive tonight, I'm not that fussed about $10 but just interested to know.
Probably best just to ask them directly. They wouldn't try to avoid answering you.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:36 am

Could it be that you were there during happy hours the first time but not on the second visit?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bwh3m
Just finished six nights; writing this from the lounge (which is now charged for Diamonds). I just submitted a more thorough review on TA, but overall very disappointed in this property.

We've been looking forward to this trip for a year, and the physical islands were everything we were hoping for. However, the resort's overall delivery was surprisingly poor. Our beach villa was in decent shape, and we were quite excited to get to the SWV for the second half of our stay (no Diamond upgrade despite extra capacity). When we got into the SWV, we couldn't believe its condition. Everything was worn down, scratched over, water stained/molded, and just plain old. After the shower ran out of hot water in five minutes, we asked to go back to the regular water villa (and our host didn't attempt to move us otherwise or address the underlying issues).

In general, our host was non-existent despite tipping him heavily at check in, and we had a tough time getting consistently decent service throughout the stay. Additionally, food was hit or miss . . with way too many misses given the price.

The good aspects were the spa, adventure snorkeling and the quiet zone pool. It's probably worth it to go on points one time given the redemption value for an over water villa, but I cannot comprehend people willing to pay cash to stay here (much less return multiple times). This property does the Conrad brand a disservice in my opinion, and we'll look elsewhere next time we visit the Maldives.
Ouch! Had I seen this review a month ago, I may have opted to stay at the Hyatt instead. Kind of locked into the Conrad now but your review worries me.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: free agent
It's my 2nd day here, and everything's going well with my stay (happy with OWV, despite no upgrades but all good since it's an award redemption stay). Just want to ask a quick question about tipping host and housekeeper since I am not sure what's appropriate amount, or it's not totally necessary, due to service charges? Friend and I am really pleased with our host's efforts to make our stay totally awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.