Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:13 am

There's a huge number of people between poor group tourist and billionaire. Not sure how many times you've been to the Conrad but I'm talking from experience.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJunkie
Excuse my possible ignorance on this subject matter but don't the Chinese travel in large groups to popular destinations where they can take glamor shots in front of famous landmarks? Maldives, aside from the obvious issue of finances, doesn't seem to be the place that would cater to thousands of Chinese tourists.
Originally Posted by SingaporeJunkie
The tourists that flood buses to snap selfies in front of Angkor Wat and the Colosseum are the ones that need to be avoided at all cost and these people simply don't have the resources to travel to Maldives, let alone stay at the Conrad.
I'm afraid you're very, very wrong. I know probably more than 100 people who've been to the Maldives and they've all done the selfie in front of monument X. I've been living here for more than 15 years JIC you were wondering. And you should check out the statistics:

China remained as the number one market to the Maldives in 2016, holding a market share of 25.2%.....
Source: http://www.tourism.gov.mv/pubs/Touri...rbook_2017.pdf
Go down to 2.4 & 2.4.1. It has been as high as 30.2% and in peak times they make up 2/3 of the guests at most resorts.

And another interesting statistic
(the) majority of these visitors stay in the Maldives for 3 nights
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG:PLAT DL:PM
Hello All -Planning on booking a trip here in early December as a recently minted Diamond. They are currently offering pretty decent advance purchase sale of $595++ per night for beach bungalow, which when booked with citi prestige 4th night free is halfway affordable. Do any regulars know if they offer periodic promos that are worth waiting for ? Or is this about as good as it gets?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by 2manyredeyes
Hello All -Planning on booking a trip here in early December as a recently minted Diamond. They are currently offering pretty decent advance purchase sale of $595++ per night for beach bungalow, which when booked with citi prestige 4th night free is halfway affordable. Do any regulars know if they offer periodic promos that are worth waiting for ? Or is this about as good as it gets?
Cheapest I've seen was $370 tax included through Orbitz for dates in May last year. It must have been a flash sale because it lasted a day at best. I wouldn't bet on it showing up for December.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Meanwhile in Male:

Maldives declares state of emergency as crisis deepens
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
I posted this yesterday morning. No one seemed to care. Apparently Chinese tourists are the real danger here.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I posted this yesterday morning. No one seemed to care. Apparently Chinese tourists are the real danger here.
I did notice your post, and my post today was meant as an update after yours. Then it was just "unrest", today, the state of emergency was declared officially.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Second state of emergency in 3 years? Has anyone been there last time?
Should we worry or even start looking for back up plans for our trip in late Feb-early Mar (fly from DOH, no need to stay in Male if everything works out fine).
Any suggestion is welcome, please!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
It wouldn't keep me from going. Last thing they want to do is endanger the livelihood of their economy.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Thanks for the previous post! Seems like this just escalated overnight Wonder if this has happened in the past. Hopefully this get resolved soon. Sad it happens at peak travel to Maldives
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:42 pm

"What happens in Male stays in Male"
You could almost use this as a rule- no one wants to disrupt the resorts/tourist $ except for a few extremists. And none of them so far have done anything, so it's probably relatively safe. Esp with how far from the capital the Conrad is.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Thanks Folks.
Finger crossed this gets solved sooner.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
In regards to Chinese visitors, let face it, Chinese (including overseas) is the largest population in the world. And they have the most wealthy ppl willing to spend money on luxury. I am not surpirsed I am seeing more and more Chinese in European countries tourist sites, and many businesses cater specifically to them. And being close definitely helps. For those from US, its a hike to go there, most would just settled in central or south America, Bahamas, etc... for them its about relax. Think about takes 24 hours from NY to Male, vs 3 hours from NY to Bahamas... I understand its not apple to apple, but many ppl from US do settled with cheaper cost and convenience.
TBH, maybe I wad lucky, while in Maldives, I never found the Chinese disruptive or noisy (excpet one time, 2 kids running around during underwater dining, but that also happened to an European kid at the same time! They just too excited about the fish around them. Both parents were apologetic...). And they mostly dressed well.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: QF Platinum - SQ PPS - HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, ShangriLa Jade
Unrest in Maldives

Booked to on points to be in Conrad 10-17 Feb.
singapore advisory has warned against travel.
as the time to cancel reward redemption has passed, any advice on how to cancel and get points refunded?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:52 am

Just go! The Singaporeans are crazy paranoid.

otherwsie insurance is your best bet for a refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.