Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:50 am

Meanwhile in the capital.
http://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/20...093020645.html
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:04 am

My wife and I are heading to the Conrad Maldives next week and we had some questions about baggage on the seaplane. I know there are weight limits, but are there limits to the number of bags you can bring? We each have a suitcase and a backpack (carry-on), but we have another duffel bag with our scuba eqp. and some snacks. Is the extra checked bag on, assuming the weight is within the limits?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:22 pm

Booking Advice Please

Is there any chance of Hilton hotel standard awards to come into inventory closer to the date? Im trying to book a 7N stay at Conrad Maldives for my honeymoon and Ive got the 5 nights in WV but cant seem to get availability for the last 2N to show (Im 300 days out). Only booking that is available now during my dates is a 8N reservation in BV. Any way to have them add the BV nights at the end of my current reservation? Or should I just hope for the last two nights to come into inventory eventually? Or do I cancel my current WV reservation and book the 8N BV (throwing away a night) to avoid potentially paying for two nights (quoting 2.4k per N right now).
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Keep the WV booking, make a 2nd booking for 2 nights in the BV. Ask the property to link the reservations. Keep an eye on availability. If and when WV becomes available for those two nights, modify that reservation and you're done.

if I understand correctly, worst case you end up in the WV for 5 and BV for 2.

Is the problem that the BV rate for 2 nights is crazy high compared to the 8 night booking? Can you "squat" the BV on points for now?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Keep the WV booking, make a 2nd booking for 2 nights in the BV. Ask the property to link the reservations. Keep an eye on availability. If and when WV becomes available for those two nights, modify that reservation and you're done.

if I understand correctly, worst case you end up in the WV for 5 and BV for 2.

Is the problem that the BV rate for 2 nights is crazy high compared to the 8 night booking? Can you "squat" the BV on points for now?
The problem is that currently, there is no award availability for 2N bookings during the dates I need, only 8N stays show any award bookings (and only in BV). I want a 7N stay and I would be happy to book the last 2N in a BV if it were available for points, but unfortunately its not. My dilemma is, do I cancel my 5N WV award reservation to secure a 8N BV award reservation and in this way guarantee a full stay on points...or..do I keep the 5N stay in hopes of two more award nights opening up for the days I need. If i keep my current booking, I risk losing the ability to fully book the stay on points if the 8 BV award nights availability goes away and if 2N availability never opens up. Then I'd be stuck paying cash for the 2N i need, with the going rate at ~2.4k per N
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:12 pm

Starting on night 6, how many nights would you have to book to make a new BV booking on points and do you have enough of them?

make that your 2nd booking and then call Hilton to cancel anything after night 7 and refund those points.

also,if it's allowing you a 2 night cash booking in a BV, there's no reason why it would not allow a redemption room booking.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Starting on night 6, how many nights would you have to book to make a new BV booking on points and do you have enough of them?

make that your 2nd booking and then call Hilton to cancel anything after night 7 and refund those points.

also,if it's allowing you a 2 night cash booking in a BV, there's no reason why it would not allow a redemption room booking.
Starting on night 6 I would need to book 8 more nights to make a new BV booking on points, and I don't have nearly enough. I have enough to make a booking for 4 more nights. And i just noticed its not allowing me to make a cash booking for BV on night 6 unless I make an 8N cash booking as well. Hmm so what do you think my best option is?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:00 pm

Ok. That makes more sense about night 6 with that explanation.

Then yes, it sounds like you would be down to your original options.

if you do decide to book the 8 nights, I would NOT eat the 8th night and ask the hotel to amend the booking and refund the last night.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyStayGolf
My wife and I are heading to the Conrad Maldives next week and we had some questions about baggage on the seaplane. I know there are weight limits, but are there limits to the number of bags you can bring? We each have a suitcase and a backpack (carry-on), but we have another duffel bag with our scuba eqp. and some snacks. Is the extra checked bag on, assuming the weight is within the limits?
I have had a total of 4 bags, way over weight on each of 4 visits to the Rangali. It only costs more money. I think last time the overweight was $175 for two of us (8 bags total including 2 personal items). My experience is that sometimes the personal item gets counted in the weight limit and sometimes it doesn't. At least there are no overweight charges on the return. (I don't think you will meet the baggage weight limits with scuba equipment.)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by speedlog
If one wanted to leverage this type of deal: when are the high/low/shoulder season periods for travelers from China to the Maldives?
Originally Posted by neuro0
High season for Mainland Chinese definitely are Chinese New Year, 1st week of May and Oct 1st week.
Don't forget the last week in June and the entire 2 months of July and August when it's school holidays. This is when you see most of them travel.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 3, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: deleted sentence no longer relevant
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
An anecdote is not the singular of "data", and Bora Bora is of course several times as far from China as the Maldives. China now has more billionaires than the US, and thousands of people who don't quite join the billionaire club but who comfortably sit in the ultra wealthy category. I doubt they're ever to be found on the tourist buses decamping hundreds of Chinese to take photos of the Eiffel Tower.

In South East Asia last month Chinese made up the largest tourist numbers by nationality that I noticed in luxury hotels - in places like Amanjiwo, the St Regis Bali, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
An anecdote is not the singular of "data", and Bora Bora is of course several times as far from China as the Maldives. China now has more billionaires than the US, and thousands of people who don't quite join the billionaire club but who comfortably sit in the ultra wealthy category. I doubt they're ever to be found on the tourist buses decamping hundreds of Chinese to take photos of the Eiffel Tower.

In South East Asia last month Chinese made up the largest tourist numbers by nationality that I noticed in luxury hotels - in places like Amanjiwo, the St Regis Bali, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok.
Well if my anecdote is not the singular of "data," then neither is yours
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:36 am

There are plenty of people with money in china, but the tourists always chase "prestige". The Maldives are expensive and, like a rare whisky, therefore prestigious. There are many many of them in all the resorts, and the country being close to China helps significantly.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:42 am

Any FTers at the Conrad this week?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cynicor
There are plenty of people with money in china, but the tourists always chase "prestige". The Maldives are expensive and, like a rare whisky, therefore prestigious. There are many many of them in all the resorts, and the country being close to China helps significantly.
The "billionaire" Chinese tourists that the above poster was referencing aren't the annoying tourists. The billionaires are quiet, reserved, well behaved, and want some tranquility. The tourists that flood buses to snap selfies in front of Angkor Wat and the Colosseum are the ones that need to be avoided at all cost and these people simply don't have the resources to travel to Maldives, let alone stay at the Conrad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.