Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Glad it's going well. We're all jealous! I don't tip my host - - fortunately have been enough to know all the ins/outs. I say hi when I get there and au revoir at the end. I also don't tip at any restaurant. Service charge, as you note, takes care of that. I do gladly tip the room attendant. At the end of the visit, all at once.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, United Plat
Originally Posted by gnomey
Curious to know why you think tipping before service is given or concluded is a good idea?
(not a criticism to you - am seeking alternate viewpoint. i wouldnt even think abt doing this anywhere in the world, more so in certain places)

Esp considering many guests complain (cant remember where, probably TA) that they are rendered invisible the moment they settle the bill at check out (and prior to boarding the seaplane). That guy probably think he hit the jackpot
When I was putting in 300+ hotel nights/year, I found that it was effective to do a serious tip to valet at arrival (and I know others who do this as well). The point is that they often don't get tips, so they feel really appreciated at the beginning, and service following was phenomenal. Obviously didn't work here. Regardless, that's just another strike to the overall service IMHO.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat Amb, Honors Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Miles & More Senator
Question Upgrade from WV & Point Availability

Hello there,
I am currently planning a stay at the Conrad Maldives for our honeymoon early next year (Jan/Feb 2019), as a HH Diamond member I plan on spending some points. However, I couldn't find any award availability in January yet - will that be uploaded/updated in the coming month or did I miss anything?

I am still hoping for the 95K water villa availability :-) However, I was a little confused by the 2018 upgrade pricing, It says "Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 588" and "Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 992" - is it actually more expensive to upgrade from WV? (which is generally more expensive than the Beach Villa) Just trying to figure out, which villa type I should book...

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Best, Patrick
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:14 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bwh3m
In general, our host was non-existent despite tipping him heavily at check in, and we had a tough time getting consistently decent service throughout the stay. Additionally, food was hit or miss . . with way too many misses given the price.
To tip or not to tip, that opens a can of worms just thinking about it.

Our host received zero tips from us (well having brought up in a non-tipping country like Australia) however he gave us excellent service. Nothing was ever rushed and he would spend plenty of time giving us suggestions of what to do / try, although we booked all our restaurants / activities via our host we felt absolutely no pressure for us confirm anything, he would leave notes in our letter box or a voice message to check in on us and to make sure everything/restaurants/activities went well. After three nights in our DBV, we had to move to a SWV and I had asked our host for specific SWV villa numbers (as you know, not all SWVs are equal). He said 'not too worry, I will speak to Reservations and get you into a really nice villa"; we ended up in a DWV for four nights.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alanslegal
To tip or not to tip, that opens a can of worms just thinking about it.

Our host received zero tips from us (well having brought up in a non-tipping country like Australia) however he gave us excellent service. Nothing was ever rushed and he would spend plenty of time giving us suggestions of what to do / try, although we booked all our restaurants / activities via our host we felt absolutely no pressure for us confirm anything, he would leave notes in our letter box or a voice message to check in on us and to make sure everything/restaurants/activities went well. After three nights in our DBV, we had to move to a SWV and I had asked our host for specific SWV villa numbers (as you know, not all SWVs are equal). He said 'not too worry, I will speak to Reservations and get you into a really nice villa"; we ended up in a DWV for four nights.
Can you elaborate on the "not all SWVs are equal" comment. I asked for 334 or 342, and if those weren't possible, anything between 335-341.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJunkie
Can you elaborate on the "not all SWVs are equal" comment. I asked for 334 or 342, and if those weren't possible, anything between 335-341.
Have you read this part of the wiki: 'Villa Selection: Superior Water Villas'

Originally Posted by Patrick_17
Hello there,
I am currently planning a stay at the Conrad Maldives for our honeymoon early next year (Jan/Feb 2019), as a HH Diamond member I plan on spending some points. However, I couldn't find any award availability in January yet - will that be uploaded/updated in the coming month or did I miss anything?
You have enough points in your account for the (duration and) point cost of the redemption booking, correct? If not, it won't show availability.

I am still hoping for the 95K water villa availability :-) However, I was a little confused by the 2018 upgrade pricing, It says "Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 588" and "Water Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD 992" - is it actually more expensive to upgrade from WV? (which is generally more expensive than the Beach Villa) Just trying to figure out, which villa type I should book...
These rates can fluctuate and there also may be new rates since the WVs were opened up for points bookings so you should email the resort for a full list of upgrades.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, United Plat
We were put in 335 (despite requesting 338, 339, 342). The view was good (not obstructed by OWS as much as I feared) . . but the interior was in desperately bad shape. Didn't see interior or any others, so not sure if that's a uniform issue or not.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:27 pm

Hello there,

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Best, Patrick
Yes Jan 2019 has not been showing availability for 95K water villa. in fact, it doesnt even show for beach villa. this has been going on for a while bc another poster also mention it, and i also noticed it

it seems like there is some bug. website says rooms available at 95K points, but then no room show up at all for you to click through and book
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Have you read this part of the wiki: 'Villa Selection: Superior Water Villas'
I did read that but that focuses entirely on the view, and not the interior. Based on very bad recent review here, it seems like some interiors are to be avoided.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:46 am

I did read that but that focuses entirely on the view, and not the interior. Based on very bad recent review here, it seems like some interiors are to be avoided.
I stayed in a superior wv just shortly after they were supposedly renovated and the floor had heavy scoring somehow. Whatever they used to finish the wood must be very prone to scratches. Anyway it wasn't too distracting, just noticeable. We got moved to a retreat wv because of a leak in our room and found the electric blinds and bathroom layout to be nicer.

I'm fairly easy to please. Perhaps the previous review came from someone who leans toward critical or things have gotten really bad in the last eight months.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:19 pm

Sorry I thought you were already aware of the issues written about in the last page or two and wanted to point out other factors. It's hard to say what the condition of the other 11 villas is like but if I were you I'd make sure management know that you know about it and you won't get the same room unless those areas have been attended to.

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I stayed in a superior wv just shortly after they were supposedly renovated and the floor had heavy scoring somehow. Whatever they used to finish the wood must be very prone to scratches. Anyway it wasn't too distracting, just noticeable. We got moved to a retreat wv because of a leak in our room and found the electric blinds and bathroom layout to be nicer.

I'm fairly easy to please. Perhaps the previous review came from someone who leans toward critical or things have gotten really bad in the last eight months.
The pics that bwh3m posted in his review are now showing: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...li_Island.html
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
The pics that bwh3m posted in his review are now showing: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...li_Island.html
Thanks. And damn! Stains on the desk? I sympathize with the hotel in general if guests are treating the rooms so poorly, but it doesn't excuse a lack of upkeep for the prices these rooms go for. Perhaps with all of the budget going to renovations, there is a lapse in upkeep of the rooms which have already recently been renovated. With the roof the way it was, and my experience with leaks after heavy rains, I wonder if they need to re-do the roofs on these villas.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club
Has anyone been ever offered complimentary hydroplan transfer here? We are returning soon and though nothing is cheap here this transfer cost always annoyed me. Would be great to save this part somehow.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Wadge
Has anyone been ever offered complimentary hydroplan transfer here? We are returning soon and though nothing is cheap here this transfer cost always annoyed me. Would be great to save this part somehow.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! post of the year

That's like asking the Conrad Seoul to fly you in on Korean Air on the hotel's dime.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Thanks. And damn! Stains on the desk? I sympathize with the hotel in general if guests are treating the rooms so poorly, but it doesn't excuse a lack of upkeep for the prices these rooms go for. Perhaps with all of the budget going to renovations, there is a lapse in upkeep of the rooms which have already recently been renovated. With the roof the way it was, and my experience with leaks after heavy rains, I wonder if they need to re-do the roofs on these villas.
The photos look terrible. Remind me of places like old Days Inn or Howard Johnson, not of Conrad. Not sure why they think they can get away with it with the amount of $$$ that they charged. For sure there is inconsistency among the SWVs. Otherwise I would expect more complaints and bigger uproar. Vila 335 is the black sheep villa among all the villas, but still you cant afford to slack like this in a 5* property. Think your best bet is ask to be moved if you happen to be given one of these villas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.