FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Man barricaded inside West Bloomfield Michigan Hampton Inn - 100% Hampton guarantee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2002097-man-barricaded-inside-west-bloomfield-michigan-hampton-inn-100-hampton-guarantee.html)

ceieoc Jan 1, 2020 6:45 am

Man barricaded inside West Bloomfield Michigan Hampton Inn - 100% Hampton guarantee

Due to a barricaded gunman at the West Bloomfield Michigan Hampton by Hilton hotel, when inconvenienced guests use the 100% Hampton guarantee designed to keep people Happy@Hampton, will they lose their valuable Hilton Honors points for their stay?

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...d-hampton-inn/

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4080485.html

craz Jan 1, 2020 7:25 am

Since it happened at 2am, I doubt it held anyone from leaving, but could some folks had a problem trying to get back in after being where they were for New Yrs

That said I dont believe the Guarantee will be heldup since it was not something under the hotels control. I for 1 wouldnt even think of mentioning it. that said usually youd get stay credit and any Elite pts not gotten due to the rate, but it all depends how the hotel handles it, do they zero out the rate or simply leave it and deduct the amount on the payment line

But I feel if anyone was actually affected by it then the hotel will probably add some bonus pts to the acct, unless they told the folks to go to another hotel and come back to retrive your belongings. Sort of like theres no hot water was it due to a main of the city breaking or the hotels system broke down, if the 1st then the hotel is off the hook

BobH Jan 1, 2020 7:47 am

Local TV says they moved some people to other rooms

Bob H

Voodoo Daddy Jan 1, 2020 9:47 am

I believe the guarantee uses the term “for any reason,” so I don’t see how it matters that it wasn’t the hotel’s fault.

craz Jan 1, 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy (Post 31896224)
I believe the guarantee uses the term “for any reason,” so I don’t see how it matters that it wasn’t the hotel’s fault.

It says it will make you 100% happy, I cant help but think if you go to the mat over something like this which is out of the hotels control, you might just in the end, end up with a comped stay, go to the too many times when its not under the hotels control,I would expect a letter from Corp saying they are closing your acct since it seems there is no way they will be able to make you a happy camper

As i said personally I wouldnt expect a comp unless I wasnt able to use my room and the hotel simply said Im SOL, but it doesnt seem that the hotel did that, To me its like arriving by hotel shuttle or taxi and finding the whole parking lot is closed and being told to park 10 mins walk away from the hotel. Since I didnt have a car I wouldnt invoke the guarantee since had I had one I wouldnt have been able to park in the lot, now those who drive there thats up to them.

hhdl Jan 1, 2020 5:58 pm

As I recall, if the guarantee is properly entered into OnQ as service recovery/100% guarantee, points/nights/stay post as if the guarantee wasn't there. It's literally a button on the screen.

If the hotel does it the harder way and zeros the rate, that's sleazy and the hotel going out of its way to deny points (probably retaliation).

DenverBrian Jan 1, 2020 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy (Post 31896224)

So if a meteor strikes a Hampton Inn, killing the entire staff but not you because you happened to be away at the time...are you going to invoke the guarantee? :rolleyes:

Schwann Jan 2, 2020 12:45 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 31898592)
So if a meteor strikes a Hampton Inn, killing the entire staff but not you because you happened to be away at the time...are you going to invoke the guarantee? :rolleyes:

Giving this is America they'll probably try and sue the deceased staff's family.

ceieoc Jan 2, 2020 8:25 am

Good news. The barricaded West Bloomfield Michigan Hampton Hotel gunman surrendered at 10 A.M. This smart guest strategy saved him from being billed an extra day for occupying a Hampton hotel room after the 11 AM checkout time. Although this gunman probably missed the complimentary yummy Hampton breakfast, if he becomes a valued Hilton Honors diamond member, he can enjoy a late checkout time, executive lounge access at other Hilton properties and a 100% elite tier bonus points which can be used for future free nights.

Sisosig Jan 2, 2020 8:40 am

So if a meteor strikes a Hampton Inn...

Just for the record. A meteor striking a Hampton Inn (or any other type of accommodation) would be called meteorite.

Space: meteoroid (can't sue)
Earth atmosphere: meteor (can't sue)
Earth: meteorite (sue all of: Hilton Corporate, hotel's franchisee, hotel's construction company, deceased staff's family, ...)

BobH Jan 2, 2020 9:36 am

I once was trying to check into a Hampton when the fire department was investigating a false alarm, but was told I would have to wait until they finished their work before I could be checked in.

An hour later they were done.

Couldn't claim anything for the delay.

Bob H

sandylouwho Jan 2, 2020 12:35 pm

My family was on a floor at a Hilton one night when an armed man barricaded himself in a room on our floor. At first the SWAT team was going to move us, then believed they had the situation under control and said we could choose to stay in assigned room if we wanted. Being 1am, my husband and son were so tired they decided we would stay in that room, and both promptly fell back to sleep. My heart was pounding watching the armed SWAT team rushing up and down the hallway through the peep hole in the door, and I stayed awake the rest of the night listening to them try to coax "Ted" to do the right thing and come out on his own accord. They eventually broke down his door which was leaned against the wall in the hallway the next morning (solid wood). For our inconvenience we were awarded 1000 Hilton points.

DenverBrian Jan 2, 2020 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sisosig (Post 31899924)
Just for the record. A meteor striking a Hampton Inn (or any other type of accommodation) would be called meteorite.

Space: meteoroid (can't sue)
Earth atmosphere: meteor (can't sue)
Earth: meteorite (sue all of: Hilton Corporate, hotel's franchisee, hotel's construction company, deceased staff's family, ...)

Until it actually strikes, it's a meteor. Then it's a meteorite. So the tense/setup of my statement is valid.

Don't try to out-Buzz Killington a Buzz Killington. :D :D :D

volabam Jan 3, 2020 6:10 am

Originally Posted by ceieoc (Post 31899864)
Good news. The barricaded West Bloomfield Michigan Hampton Hotel gunman surrendered at 10 A.M. This smart guest strategy saved him from being billed an extra day for occupying a Hampton hotel room after the 11 AM checkout time. Although this gunman probably missed the complimentary yummy Hampton breakfast, if he becomes a valued Hilton Honors diamond member, he can enjoy a late checkout time, executive lounge access at other Hilton properties and a 100% elite tier bonus points which can be used for future free nights.

But will he get stay credits for the nights in the county jail while awaiting trial?

Voodoo Daddy Jan 3, 2020 6:39 am

I would not personally claim the guarantee in this case. My point is that the wording of the guarantee invites such claims regardless of fault. If a brand wants to use a guarantee for marketing purposes, they'd better be prepared to deliver.