Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

New Diamond: Strategies for receiving room upgrades?

Old Dec 27, 19, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

This is the first year I have recieved any status as I started a new job traveling every week. I am a Diamond Member. My question may seem silly but hey.

Do you have to ask to get room upgrade? I know some properties do not have upgraded rooms, but for those who do, is there a way to increase the odds of getting one?

Thanks
Happy New Year!
Old Dec 27, 19, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
I would advise a couple things:

1) Check the mobile app sometime in the morning of your check-in. Sometimes you are already upgraded. In my experience, this seems to be the better run hotels that do this. I could be mistaken on the "why" part, but that is just my experience.
2) If you are not upgraded when you check on the app, do not do the mobile check-in (where you select a room). That, from personal experience and reading on here, seems to make the process of upgrading a bit more of a pain for the front desk, thus, it seems to reduce chances of an upgrade.
3) If you do not get one, it never hurts to say "Hey, I am just curious, is there any chance of getting a diamond upgrade?" when you are at the front desk. Being polite goes a long, long, long way. People love doing stuff for people when people really appreciate it. I think that is the best advice that I can offer.
4) Of course, there will be times when you do not get an upgrade. Depending on the types of hotels, locations, day of the week, events in town, etc., there may be times where you are not able to be upgraded.
5) Sometimes you will be surprised and get really good upgrades that are beyond the one-step upgrade (props to my favorite hotel in terms of service: The Walforf Astoria Chicago on this one!)
6) Bonus Tip - You will notice in the confirmation area that has a link for something in the line of "Hey, if available, would you pay $12 for X upgrade upon check-in?" - It seems the consensus is to skip this request unless you are fully willing to pay for the upgrade, which is weird because that is not a guarantee either.
7) A lot of times on these threads, people will say that the golden rule of upgrades is this: If there is a specific room type that you really want, the sure bet is to book that room type. Obviously free upgrades is awesome, so I understand the question. Just saying that people WILL give that advice on here for some situations where people are stressing about a specific upgrade (I know that is not what you meant though)!

I am sure I am forgetting a couple, but hopefully that helps. Have fun with your status! Wishing you all the best.
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:24 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by wally5505 View Post

1) Check the mobile app sometime in the morning of your check-in. Sometimes you are already upgraded. In my experience, this seems to be the better run hotels that do this. I could be mistaken on the "why" part, but that is just my experience.
2) If you are not upgraded when you check on the app, do not do the mobile check-in (where you select a room). That, from personal experience and reading on here, seems to make the process of upgrading a bit more of a pain for the front desk, thus, it seems to reduce chances of an upgrade.
3) If you do not get one, it never hurts to say "Hey, I am just curious, is there any chance of getting a diamond upgrade?" when you are at the front desk. Being polite goes a long, long, long way. People love doing stuff for people when people really appreciate it. I think that is the best advice that I can offer.
4) Of course, there will be times when you do not get an upgrade. Depending on the types of hotels, locations, day of the week, events in town, etc., there may be times where you are not able to be upgraded.
5) Sometimes you will be surprised and get really good upgrades that are beyond the one-step upgrade (props to my favorite hotel in terms of service: The Walforf Astoria Chicago on this one!)
6) Bonus Tip - You will notice in the confirmation area that has a link for something in the line of "Hey, if available, would you pay $12 for X upgrade upon check-in?" - It seems the consensus is to skip this request unless you are fully willing to pay for the upgrade, which is weird because that is not a guarantee either.
7) A lot of times on these threads, people will say that the golden rule of upgrades is this: If there is a specific room type that you really want, the sure bet is to book that room type. Obviously free upgrades is awesome, so I understand the question. Just saying that people WILL give that advice on here for some situations where people are stressing about a specific upgrade (I know that is not what you meant though)!

I am sure I am forgetting a couple, but hopefully that helps. Have fun with your status! Wishing you all the best.
This is exactly the strategy I use and great advice.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:32 am

Agree with Wally, plus one addendum - have a dummy booking queued you in the app when you walk to the desk. Like for your exact nights, with results showing. That way you have what is needed to call them out when they pull the ďWe are booked solidĒ line - ďOh really, that is interesting, I see five categories of suites for sale on the nights Iíll be staying.Ē It isnít the friendliest approach, but neither is them lying to you. It often leads to an embarrassed agent, a discussion with a manager, and an upgrade.
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Been Diamond for a few months and yet to get an upgrade. Wasn’t sure what I needed to do. Thanks for the insight!
Old Dec 28, 19, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 19, 10:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Agree with Wally, plus one addendum - have a dummy booking queued you in the app when you walk to the desk. Like for your exact nights, with results showing. That way you have what is needed to call them out when they pull the “We are booked solid” line - “Oh really, that is interesting, I see five categories of suites for sale on the nights I’ll be staying.” It isn’t the friendliest approach, but neither is them lying to you. It often leads to an embarrassed agent, a discussion with a manager, and an upgrade.
I've always wanted to try it but I've never had the stones to. Then again I seem to have slightly better luck with upgrades since my stays are shorter and on slower days. My usual "upgrade" at non Euro/Asian properties is an executive room. But in countries like China and Canada I get a suite upgrade almost every time. It really does have a lot to do with a specific property and I typically won't stay at properties that have a history of that BS approach to upgrades.
Old Dec 28, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Be willing to pay something if necessary, and have a direct discussion with the property.
Old Dec 28, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
Only certain Hilton brands are obligated to provide comp upgrades

Only some of the Hilton brands are required to give complimentary upgrades. Make sure to check the T&C before checking into a Hilton-branded hotel to see if that brand has an obligation to do so.

Also, click on the "Add Special Requests" link when making a reservation, indicating your interest in receiving an upgrade.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Another tip is to think about what your stay is for?..... is it your birthday, your partners birthday or perhaps an anniversary?.
Might be worth mentioning that in the special requests box too along the lines of - “ hi, I’m looking forward to our stay at your hotel , as it’s our anniversary/birthday/ celebration it would be kindly appreciated if we were upgraded, many thanks “
catawba and MoodyB like this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wizla View Post
Another tip is to think about what your stay is for?..... is it your birthday, your partners birthday or perhaps an anniversary?.
Might be worth mentioning that in the special requests box too along the lines of - ď hi, Iím looking forward to our stay at your hotel , as itís our anniversary/birthday/ celebration it would be kindly appreciated if we were upgraded, many thanks ď
A good 90%+ are for work and usually Monday through Thursday with the occasional Tuesday-Friday, Sunday-Wed. but everyone here gave me some good information. I have to book airlines through my company website but I can book rental car and hotel on my own. May start doing that maybe that will help get a few upgrades.
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:38 pm

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by wally5505 View Post

OK, I've never understood this directive and I've seen it often. How do you know if you've been upgraded? When I do OLCI, my choices are to accept the "great room [they've] picked for [me]" or to choose my own. If I've never been to the hotel, how do I tell by looking at the 2D line drawing room map which room to tell? Obviously, I can do research ahead of time on Trip Advisor or what not, but sometimes, there just isn't time for that for every hotel stay. What am I missing by everyone's comments of "check to see if you're upgraded"?

For reference, my stays are usually HGI, DT and ES. So maybe that's the difference? There are rarely true "upgrades" with those hotels?
Old Dec 28, 19, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by karatelovr View Post
What am I missing by everyone's comments of "check to see if you're upgraded"?
There is third option, which is when you start the check-in process, after you have chosen the arrival time,a room suggestion comes up immediately, which is an upgraded room and message to that effect. The room type is also visible at this point, and you can compare it to what you booked originally against Hilton.com's list of room types. There is a second option on that screen which allows you to choose another room, and there may well be other upgraded room options. Again the room type is specified and can be compared against what is booked.

For the two options you are referring to, if you "select own room" then again you should be shown the room type. Bear in mind that most upgrades are a single jump, so perhaps from a Queen Room to the Queen Deluxe - many people wouldn't notice the difference. But if you look at the Hilton.com room types there is a clear hierarchy laid out there.

If you instead use the floor map instead of the room tabular listing, you may notice a small up arrow symbol on available rooms, indicating they are upgrades. This is inconsistent, I've seen it come and go even in the same hotel a short time apart, so I suspect someone needs to correctly press particular buttons to make it happen.

Finally if you go to the My Stay tab, you will see the room type: this particular field will update to whatever the current upgraded room offering is, typically a day or so before arrival. This is a seamless change, so you need to recall what you booked or look at the original email booking to see whether this is actually an upgrade.

Just be aware of some "upgrades" are not what they seem - so for example going from a Queen to a Twin Premium room - this is an upgrade but not if you wanted the larger bed!
wally5505 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 19, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
There is third option, which is when you start the check-in process, after you have chosen the arrival time,a room suggestion comes up immediately, which is an upgraded room and message to that effect. The room type is also visible at this point, and you can compare it to what you booked originally against Hilton.com's list of room types. There is a second option on that screen which allows you to choose another room, and there may well be other upgraded room options. Again the room type is specified and can be compared against what is booked.

For the two options you are referring to, if you "select own room" then again you should be shown the room type. Bear in mind that most upgrades are a single jump, so perhaps from a Queen Room to the Queen Deluxe - many people wouldn't notice the difference. But if you look at the Hilton.com room types there is a clear hierarchy laid out there.

If you instead use the floor map instead of the room tabular listing, you may notice a small up arrow symbol on available rooms, indicating they are upgrades. This is inconsistent, I've seen it come and go even in the same hotel a short time apart, so I suspect someone needs to correctly press particular buttons to make it happen.

Finally if you go to the My Stay tab, you will see the room type: this particular field will update to whatever the current upgraded room offering is, typically a day or so before arrival. This is a seamless change, so you need to recall what you booked or look at the original email booking to see whether this is actually an upgrade.

Just be aware of some "upgrades" are not what they seem - so for example going from a Queen to a Twin Premium room - this is an upgrade but not if you wanted the larger bed!
Hmmm I have never noticed the arrows or any message saying an upgrade. I'll have to look at the My Stay tab. Thank you for the information.
Old Dec 28, 19, 6:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Also, longer duration stays have an exponentially lower chance of getting an upgrade.

1 night - easy upgrade, very unlikely to sell that room
so why not give it out to someone who appreciates it.

2 nights - probably ok, especially if there are a few of each type available.

3+ nights, they will be banking on being able to sell the room in night 3 and onwards so even if there is availability they will be reluctant to give it out.

Also, Iím sure youíve done your reading around the rest of the forum, but upgrades are waaaayy more common outside of the US. My travel is 50% UK, 40% Middle East, 10% Europe, usually 1 night at a time as I move around a lot, I get upgraded 80% of the time. 20% of the time it is a significant upgrade.
IndyHoosier, wally5505 and KevTN like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: