Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Consolidated "Best Strategies for Receiving an Upgrade" thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Lower your expectations and be honest with yourself.

How important is an upgrade when you are traveling alone on business?

In my 45 years of frequent travel (even before there was a frequent stay program) I found the only 100% guaranteed upgrade to a genuine suite were at facilities where you were on first name basis with the GM.

In the current environment a Diamond upgrade is usually perfunctory and would require an advanced statistical test to determine the difference between the booked room and the "upgrade."
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by timfountain
I have never seen that option. You must be special!
When it comes to Hiltons I very much doubt it. These are hotels with in some cases thousands of guests, the word special can't really stretch to much for anyone. However I do have a recent example to show you what it looks like.

wizla and MoodyB like this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 3:33 pm

Very interesting thread, thank you very much for that. A quick question: Does someone have experience in getting an upgrade when a suite is booked already? E.g. you have booked a Junior Suite and there are 3 more levels of suites above. Is it possible to get an upgrade as a Diamond?
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 3:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rausmade
Very interesting thread, thank you very much for that. A quick question: Does someone have experience in getting an upgrade when a suite is booked already? E.g. you have booked a Junior Suite and there are 3 more levels of suites above. Is it possible to get an upgrade as a Diamond?
Havent experienced it personally but plenty of reports of that happening at some Asian and European hotels. The ones in Istanbul come to
mind since they often have many suite types.
rausmade likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:16 am

As a Hilton Diamond I almost always see an upgrade but never to a Suite. Its as if they have an upgrade ceiling of a category or two if booking a standard room. Im not sure how that changes if you have reserved a Suite.

In terms of a strategy, is it better to complete check in in advance via the app or on arrival? (Im not sure)
rausmade likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:51 pm

Some people say there's no difference, some suggest not to check in in advance via the app.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I haven’t used the app to check in for 2+ years.

1. Removes any chance of an upgrade.
2. In the past 6 months, they’ve removed the ability to select your room from the app.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:55 pm

Human nature

I was looking for what the symbols mean on hilton Floorplan and came across this thread. I'm no expert on getting upgraded but I do have some thoughts on checking in and when don't get an upgrade, you show the app. I think it would work better to say upfront - I see on the app there is such and such upgrade available. Any chance I can be upgraded. Human nature will be if confronted after being told none available - the clerk will most likely double down on no.
Also in reply to person who said haven't been able to check in on the app, I have an option to check in which is why I'm looking at this site. It's at a Hampton.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:56 pm

Human nature

Duplicate

Last edited by Smileeys; Jun 9, 2021 at 7:58 pm Reason: Deleted
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:57 am

The small take away from here is not check to in via the app, if looking for an upgrade, albeit the difference it will make it marginal.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:31 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Others have said this before but it chimes with my experience.

Dont check in online the day before (many hotels do things like this overnight the night before).

On the morning of arrival take a look at what is available, if there is an upgrade consider taking it and checking in but dont download a digital key.

Stop by the desk for a key and politely ask for an upgrade.

On not being able to select rooms at all, although I have seen that on my stays this year I have had a choice on most occasions.

Since restrictions eased a little here in the U.K. I am 4/4 on upgrades, but 0/4 on upgrade to suites.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Like most upgrade based questions, it really will depend on the property itself rather than a blanket policy. I've had upgrades to a top suite from a standard room and I've booked suites and not had a small upgrade to an available category of suite above as the hotel didn't stated at they don't normally upgrade to any suites.

Essentially, if the hotel does include the 3 higher levels of suites as part of their upgrade pool, then you are most likely at the upper end of the list for an upgrade to one of them. If the property doesn't usually make them upgrade eligible, then it's a cash upgrade option only. Sometimes that can actually be a small upcharge if you are already in a junior suite.

One property in London I used to stay at would normally pre-upgrade me to a junior suite a few days before my stay. At that point, the offered paid upgrade to a full Exec Suite would change from circa 150 from a standard room, to 20 from a Junior Suite. Accepting the 20 upgrade pretty much always guaranteed me the room and quite often they waived the fee anyway and treated it as a Diamond upgrade, even though they didn't upgrade to those suites normally.

So far since the reopening of hotels after lockdown in the UK, I've had one hotel where we paid for the only room set-up for 2 adults and a child. At the other hotel, they contacted me a few days prior and asked if I would be happy to switch from a family room to a suite with a rollaway, if they had one available. I confirmed we were happy with that and the upgrade came through the morning of the stay. I certainly didn't do online check-in, as I didn't want to potentially block an upgrade by confirming a room.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:30 am

New Diamond Member - upgrade tips

I recently earned Diamond status. Any tips for gaining room upgrades? Should I check in online as usual and ask for upgrades at the desk. Or wait to check in at the hotel and hope for an upgrade? Thanks!
Old May 7, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Keep your expectations low. If your stays are in the US or Canada, expect an upgrade to a suite about as frequently as you find a lost Susan B Anthony dollar on a sidewalk.
Old May 7, 2022, 8:55 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by conniehar
I recently earned Diamond status. Any tips for gaining room upgrades? Should I check in online as usual and ask for upgrades at the desk. Or wait to check in at the hotel and hope for an upgrade? Thanks!
Over the last 20 years, I've probably gotten upgrades in half of my stays (where the property in fact had upgradeable inventory). If an upgrade is really important, I fax the the manager about a week in advance with my request.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.