Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Fellows House - Cambridge, Curio collection by Hilton { GBR }

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond

This has popped up during a local search, I noticed it was posted on the joining/leaving thread a while back, this will replace the soon to be defunct DT Cambridge
Attached Images  
chrism20 and delinquentwoody like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:05 pm

Opening soon

Am searching for Cambridge accommodation. It looks like this hotel is now available from July 20th, lowest at 46K points per night (average 50k points/180 GBP).

The hotel contains several studios under different names (but with same price). It looks like the hotel is aiming for long stay customers. Not sure if it will offer upgrade for diamond members.

Still, too expensive for a poor PhD student...Wondering if one can manage to negotiate a long stay price.

TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:45 am

I feel Marriott’s University Arms at 20-25k per night is the better ‘award’ option in town
Old Mar 10, 2021, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Interesting, I’m looking at punting ( excuse the pun ) some day stays here as soon as it opens as I’m gonna struggle to hit diamond this year without so will review.
Obviously this depends on the whole covid situation and price but will see.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Website now says accepting reservations for June 30 th and beyond ( thinking of a mid july 2 night stay )

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 12, 2021, 3:23 am

It still looks very ‘Doubletree’, is it just me or are Curio’s expanding too quickly?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 10:44 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by pazza2000
It still looks very ‘Doubletree’, is it just me or are Curio’s expanding too quickly?
When in Cambridge I generally stay at my old college, both cheap and nostalgic. But, as I silently wondered last time “yeeesh, did I really use to live like this?” I keep an eye on CAM hotels. This is a wonderfully named hotel and being Curio one would guess a repurposed mansion or old Inn. Looking at the pictures apparently not, but I eagerly await a stay report. In all fairness, almost any aspirational property that comes onto the market is snapped up by one of the Colleges for housing. Hell, the same can be said about any available slum property.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
When in Cambridge I generally stay at my old college, both cheap and nostalgic. But, as I silently wondered last time “yeeesh, did I really use to live like this?” I keep an eye on CAM hotels. This is a wonderfully named hotel and being Curio one would guess a repurposed mansion or old Inn. Looking at the pictures apparently not, but I eagerly await a stay report. In all fairness, almost any aspirational property that comes onto the market is snapped up by one of the Colleges for housing. Hell, the same can be said about any available slum property.
I hope to stay here soon……will do full report.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Have booked a 3 night stay ( 13-16th July) Ł172 for a Darwin Studio ( 1 up from the basic Kipling King room) with a hob,microwave and dishwasher. Fridge also)

Will post a report on my return.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
I was wholly unfamiliar with this one. It looks like new construction, not what I'd expect from a Curio. The location isn't awful, not very central, but not very far from central Cambridge. I look forward to people's forthcoming reviews. Looking through this thread, I belatedly learned that the DT has left the chain. It was I think called the Garden House back in the late 1980s, a hotel that I someday wished I could afford to stay at while eating lunch in the nearby University Centre. OT, but I appreciated the mention of the University Arms. I hadn't realized that this hotel had been wholly redone. It's just a few blocks from where I used to live 35 years ago on Earl St.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jefftiger
I was wholly unfamiliar with this one. It looks like new construction, not what I'd expect from a Curio. The location isn't awful, not very central, but not very far from central Cambridge. I look forward to people's forthcoming reviews. Looking through this thread, I belatedly learned that the DT has left the chain. It was I think called the Garden House back in the late 1980s, a hotel that I someday wished I could afford to stay at while eating lunch in the nearby University Centre. OT, but I appreciated the mention of the University Arms. I hadn't realized that this hotel had been wholly redone. It's just a few blocks from where I used to live 35 years ago on Earl St.
In 1989 I stayed at the university arms and they wouldn’t let me go to breakfast unless I wore a tie.
jefftiger, DELee and Isochronous like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wizla
In 1989 I stayed at the university arms and they wouldn’t let me go to breakfast unless I wore a tie.
Did you have a tie to wear or did you need to borrow one?

David
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now Open ( 1st July 2021)

Hi,

The hotel opened on 1st July per its instagram page.

I emailed the hotel after 5pm last night to ask if the pool and gym would be open during my stay.

They were extremely prompt in replying ( email said 0242 am!) and they said the gym and pool would be open

Hours quoted are

Gym 24hrs
Pool, spa and sauna: 6am to 10pm.

Bookings ( for 1 hour time slots) are required.

They offered to book time slots for me by email ( or can do it at reception)

I have replied booking 3 pool slots over my 4 days there and a gym slot to try out ( might book more gym slots or will go out for a short jog to explore Cambridge and the gardens ( depending on the weather))

I was impressed by the rapid response to my email so hopefully it is a good sign re customer service.

Regards

TBS
Sisosig and wizla like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The hotel opened on 1st July per its instagram page.

I emailed the hotel after 5pm last night to ask if the pool and gym would be open during my stay.

They were extremely prompt in replying ( email said 0242 am!) and they said the gym and pool would be open

Hours quoted are

Gym 24hrs
Pool, spa and sauna: 6am to 10pm.

Bookings ( for 1 hour time slots) are required.

They offered to book time slots for me by email ( or can do it at reception)

I have replied booking 3 pool slots over my 4 days there and a gym slot to try out ( might book more gym slots or will go out for a short jog to explore Cambridge and the gardens ( depending on the weather))

I was impressed by the rapid response to my email so hopefully it is a good sign re customer service.

Regards

TBS
l

That sounds good, Cambridge is a fine place to visit, the riverside area is very English and the town quirky.
I’m hoping to get a stay here myself sometime soon too.

Last edited by wizla; Jul 2, 2021 at 9:10 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 3, 2021, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wizla
l

That sounds good, Cambridge is a fine place to visit, the riverside area is very English and the town quirky.
I’m hoping to get a stay here myself sometime soon too.
Hi,

Thanks. Although I have been looking and there is a bit of planning to do these days
A lot of colleges are closed to visitors ( ir Trinity, Christ, St Johns)
Kings college and chapel are open ( need to prebook)
Museums and botanic gardens are open ( limited iirc hours ie Thr-Sun for many museums) and need to book in advance ( tickets for the Polar museum, archaelogy musem etc) are made available on Thurs for the following week.)

Have booked tickets for Kings college and the Fitzwillam musem and will book the botanic gardens and other museums on Thursday when dates are made available
Otherwise will wander around the parks and gardens. ( also want to see Portugal place) and have a couple of drinks at the hotel to try it out.

I have edited the wiki to state that the Hotel opened on 1st July.
Regards

TBS
wizla likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 3, 2021 at 3:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.