Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Points Unlimited

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you are staying at high-rate Hilton hotels based on the earn/burn ratio only (even during double point promos), you have a LOT of research to do. Clever... not so much.
I didn't say, that I stay at high-rate Hilton hotels based on the earn/burn ratio only.

I say, that the main competitive advantage of the Hilton group the number of points you can earn there. In my case I get 150000 points less under the upcoming promotion compared to the actual promotion. And even if that 150k points more or less doesn't effect your choice of hotel, it does effect mine.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Just added the promotion. Would've missed it for sure. Thanks OP!!!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
I didn't say, that I stay at high-rate Hilton hotels based on the earn/burn ratio only.

I say, that the main competitive advantage of the Hilton group the number of points you can earn there.
And that's why you need to do research. Yes you get more points, but those points are worth FAR less. Rubbish promo or decent one from Hilton, and you still are better off with no-promo Hyatt or Marriott...

The competitive advantage of Hilton is that you can get elite status without being a 50+ night per year road warrior. You pay for that with a lower earn/burn return on your spend.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:38 pm

And that's why you need to do research. Yes you get more points, but those points are worth FAR less. Rubbish promo or decent one from Hilton, and you still are better off with no-promo Hyatt or Marriott...
Usually I burn my Hilton points by booking 5 nights standard award stays at the Conrad Tokyo, one of the best hotels in the world from my point of view. It's usually 380k points instead of USD 5k cash. On a triple point promotion at Hilton I get more than 30k point for USD 1k spent on a stay. That means, that I get around 40 Cent back per USD spent or 40%. (With the actual rates at Conrad Tokyo at the moment it's 49,3%).

Curious to hear about the better ratio at Hyatt or Marriott.

With the upcoming promotion it get around 17 Cent back per USD spent or 17%. Of course there are always better deals than that at other hotels.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Not according to what the HHrep said in post 41
My reading of that post is that the OP would not get the 30K bonus points (due to the 30-night stay). Not that those nights stayed after the start of this promo (which would be 2 with a 1/08 checkout) do not count towards the 10-night tracker.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:26 pm

The data simply does not support this assertion. At the top of the award chart both Hilton and MR converge to around 90k points per night. And in the middle of the award chart, a 35k MR property is usually comparable to a 50-60k Hilton property. Yet the earn rate at Hilton is almost always 2x or more what you get at MR even with Amb (which doesn’t earn you more than Titanium). I know firsthand because I do 100 nights/year at each and run the numbers.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
[QUOTE=Hilton Honors Ambassador;31849583]Yes. According to the FAQ:

Will I earn Bonus Points for Reward Stays with the “Points Unlimited” promotion?
Yes – members will earn 2,000 Bonus Points per stay on reward stays. Reward stays will also count towards the 10,000 Bonus Point award.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders[/QUOTE
Back to my original question, because I'm still not sure and I deleted before getting an answer:

Promo is 2,000 per stay and bonus 10,000 after 10 nights

So a 5th night free award stay would count as one Stay, but how many nights? 4 or 5?

Last edited by Eujeanie; Dec 20, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:33 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by twitch76
I think my question may have been lost in the discussion of whether or not reward stays counted.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?
It would count as one stay and two nights according to the promotion gurus.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
twitch76 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:33 am

Post #52 above did not drop to last post after editing, so can someone (William) please look up there and answer my question? Thank you
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
[QUOTE=Eujeanie;31856868]
Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador

Back to my original question, because I'm still not sure and I deleted before getting an answer:

Promo is 2,000 per stay and bonus 10,000 after 10 nights

So a 5th night free award stay would count as one Stay, but how many nights? 4 or 5?
All of my "5th Night Free" award stays have shown up as 5 nights stayed in my account (for normal account purposes regarding elite qualification/ milestone bonuses).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:43 am

[QUOTE=Fanjet;31868045]
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

All of my "5th Night Free" award stays have shown up as 5 nights stayed in my account (for normal account purposes regarding elite qualification/ milestone bonuses).
Thanks, might end up making a difference to me for the 10,000 bonus.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:31 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Post #52 above did not drop to last post after editing, so can someone (William) please look up there and answer my question? Thank you
The promotion gurus confirm that it would count as five nights.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador
The promotion gurus confirm that it would count as five nights.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Thank you.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:58 am

Only thing I got was for $1000 spend can get 2000 points for use up to 3x. But I don't think it's worth it?as my signup bonus for this card was higher than 2000 for $1000 spend.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Would MVP rate be qualified for this promo?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.