Wiki Posts
Search

Urban Destination Charge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT PL
Urban Destination Charge

Booking a mileage run to NYC to hit DL PL and figured I would use up some HH points. The first couple of hotels I checked out around Times Square had an "Urban Destination" charge. I was like .... The Resort Fees are anoying enough. Whats next a Suburban Property Benefit Fee?
RaginPlainsman and Sisosig like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:20 pm

It's the same fee with a different name. Essentially, that name is designed to stop guests from pestering the Front Desk with this complaint: This isn't a resort. Why are you charging a resort fee?

Of course, it's not really the name that's the issue. A bogus fee by any name is still a bogus fee.
Cat88L3 and dlaue like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a fee. Forget what it's called.

1. For cash paid rooms it forces the property to show up earlier in a list as most people order the selection by cost.
2. For redemptions, it amounts to a cash + points system.

There are a slew of threads on this. In and around NYC hard to avoid. Elsewhere, it may be if you look hard and are willing to stay out of the way.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mikec0624
Booking a mileage run to NYC to hit DL PL and figured I would use up some HH points. The first couple of hotels I checked out around Times Square had an "Urban Destination" charge. I was like .... The Resort Fees are anoying enough. Whats next a Suburban Property Benefit Fee?
Think of this as a "Mandatory Urban Destination" fee: i.e. MUD.

David
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Consider HGI Long Island - fee free, a quick ride into midtown, and it's on the way to and from JFK.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by Often1
It's a fee. Forget what it's called.

1. For cash paid rooms it forces the property to show up earlier in a list as most people order the selection by cost.
2. For redemptions, it amounts to a cash + points system.

There are a slew of threads on this. In and around NYC hard to avoid. Elsewhere, it may be if you look hard and are willing to stay out of the way.
Destination fees (as well as resort fees) aren't charged on Hilton redemptions.
davistev, BrlDsguise, hhdl and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bon mot
Consider HGI Long Island - fee free, a quick ride into midtown, and it's on the way to and from JFK.
Long Island City.

Big difference.
octr202 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: united, delta, british
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Unless they are. Hilton Times Square said wouldn't charge, and then they did, and it took three phone calls with hanging up and calling again on the first two to get an agent who didn't argue that I still owed the money. Are they trained to try to slip it by you until you persist?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
I just did 4 days with 5th night free at the HGI in Chelsea all in points and I did't have to pay any extra fees.

OP, do you have enought points to do it that way? It would still count as a stay/night towards status qualification.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Yep. Using points, looked like the fee was an additional charge. Will let you know after i go. Just making a quick weekend of it.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
I was actually going to make that point and even went to the Terms and Conditions to quote the text. Then, I realized that it says this:

"Reward Redemption
18. At hotels with resort fees, members on reward stays booked using all Points, or using a Promotional free night reward (e.g., issued by credit card partners, etc.) will not pay resort fees."
Source: https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...ard_redemption

If a hotel uses a very strict reading of the Terms and Conditions, they might try to charge an Urban Destination fee because it's not the same title as a resort fee. Doing that would be really sleazy. But, any hotel that charges these types of fee are already going down the path to sleazy, in my opinion.
RafKa, dlaue, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:56 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The Curio Collection Martinique at 32nd and Broadway is a unique historic property with nicely appointed rooms. And they don't charge a fee (yet). Enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Oddly that is where I wound up booking. It looks cool online. Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:57 am

In Oct, I stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Times Sq. Central on points. I wasn't charged any fees.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mikec0624
Yep. Using points, looked like the fee was an additional charge. Will let you know after i go. Just making a quick weekend of it.
I think Hilton’s confirmations and apps don’t understand that full award stays don’t incur the charge, but it doesn’t mean that it will get charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.