"I am from" badges

Old Dec 14, 19, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Silver, IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
"I am from" badges

At a recent stay at Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow I noticed the staff had a line on their badges under their name saying "I am from Romania", or "I am from the Philippines" etc. I thought this was a really good idea as it lets people know what their accent is without getting into the whole "where are you from thing" that sometimes has negative conotations.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it spefiic to that branch, or maybe the more metropolitan cities?
Old Dec 14, 19, 6:08 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Many hotel staff (and staff from some airlines) wear badges indicating the languages they speak, which may be more helpful than just saying where you are from (how long do you have to live in London before you can say you are from London?)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 6:39 am

I've seen this at various hospitality establishments in different parts of the world across different ownership. It's a known thing.
Old Dec 14, 19, 6:41 am

How many did you spot that said “I am from England, Scotland” etc?
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
and how many that say
I am from India
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: DL GM, WN A+/CP, HH Diamond
The Double Tree at EWR does this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:09 am

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I've seen this over the years at resort properties
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Silver, IHG - Spire Ambassador, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Many hotel staff (and staff from some airlines) wear badges indicating the languages they speak, which may be more helpful than just saying where you are from (how long do you have to live in London before you can say you are from London?)
True, I maintain that no one is actually born in London, they just move there at some point.
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Last time I was in a Helsinki department store the staff all worry badges of the languages they spoke.. Most had 3or 4, the shelf stackers generally had 1or 2. So not an indication of their origin but sure helped to know who to speak to to be understood.
Old Dec 14, 19, 10:29 am

At some Sheraton hotels, the badges said, "Connected to..."
As in, "Lisa. Connected to Paragliding."
"Tom. Connected to Birdwatching."

Naturally, I had all kinds of snarky and indecorous ideas.
"Connected to Money Laundering"
"Connected to Multi-drug Resistant Gonorrhea"

A family friend moved to the States, and he got excited to get a badge that said, "from Colorado."
Since he wasn't doing too well on the dating scene, he asked for a badge that reflected his true origin, "from Lyon, France."
It didn't work. Women still weren't interested.
nancypants and :D! like this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 10:56 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hawkbat View Post
At a recent stay at Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow I noticed the staff had a line on their badges under their name saying "I am from Romania", or "I am from the Philippines" etc. I thought this was a really good idea as it lets people know what their accent is without getting into the whole "where are you from thing" that sometimes has negative conotations.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it spefiic to that branch, or maybe the more metropolitan cities?
I saw it at the Hilton Shinjuku Tokyo. Some of the desk clerks had their country flags on them. The man checking me in had a Kenyan flag on his nameplate. I asked him if he was from Kenya and he asked what gave it away that he wasn't from Tokyo. After we both laughed at that I told him it was the Maasai shields on this nameplate. He was very pleased that I knew that.

I thought it was cool that such an international staff as the Hilton Shinjuku would have their home country flags on their nameplates.

I have seen the home country on other hotels in international locations. Its very cool.
Old Dec 14, 19, 1:00 pm

I saw this at Buckingham Palace in the gift shop that is accessible following the summer openings tours. I thought it was a bit strange. I didn't really care that the sales associate ringing me up was from Bulgaria. I did care that she spoke English which she did - quite well.
Old Dec 14, 19, 2:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Hawkbat View Post
True, I maintain that no one is actually born in London, they just move there at some point.
I’ll take the over
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Mats View Post
It didn't work. Women still weren't interested.
Ouch.

David
Old Dec 15, 19, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I've seen this at Johnny Rockets in Chicago. Although most people there were just from somewhere in Michigan or Wisconsin.
EuropeanPete and neo_781 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: