Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Old May 13, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

I stayed at the Atlanta Airport Hilton May 10 -11, 2018. Being a Diamond Member, I followed posted signs to the Executive Lounge for breakfast the next morning to find the door was locked with a normal key lock (my digital attempted to unlock the door, but I received a "something went wrong" message). I went to the desk to inquire and was told Hilton was phasing out Executive Lounges chain wide and they were "focusing on new business". The clerk told me that the lounge had closed about a week earlier and because this property was corporately owned, it was one of the first. I was offered a sandwich from the gift shop or a continental breakfast in the restaurant as my Diamond benefit. I have been unable to confirm through Hilton Customer Cares, only receiving replies to my inquiries telling me what the Executive Lounge is, what the Executive Floor is, and the breakfast policy for this particular policy is - all questions that I know the answer to. They have been less than forthcoming. I have emailed Hilton executive leadership, but no replies. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know the status moving forward with Hilton Executive Lounges? TIA.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Weren't we hearing a couple years ago on this forum that an executive lounge was going to soon be "brand standard" for the Hilton brand? I believe it was even part of the theory for why some lower Hilton properties were converting to the Doubletree flag a couple years ago...

I do not see the lounges going away globally. The lounges are an important way for the hotels to save money by forcing Golds and Diamonds in there for very selection-controlled and capacity-challenged (to make you get in and out faster) breakfast so they don't get in the way of paying customers down in the main restaurant.

Given the "experience" in a lot of the US lounges, it may not be a bad idea to phase them out...
stevie likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by storewanderer

Given the "experience" in a lot of the US lounges, it may not be a bad idea to phase them out...

Amen. Losing Asian lounges would be a tragedy. The staff and offerings make them a pleasure that I gladly paid out of pocket for in my non-status days. US lounges? Heck, I'd drive the (metaphorical) dagger in Et tu, Brute? style if I had the chance.
Grog, stevie, earlyriser and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:51 pm

Consider me skeptical at this juncture...
Old May 13, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Very similar to the experience I had at the Doubletree in Norwalk.

Despite the closure, I received a coupon for a free beer/wine, free appetizer and free full breakfast.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd take anything a front desk clerk says with a huge grain of salt. Also IME airport Hiltons can be erratic with their lounge hours. I know from personal experience that the San Antonio Airport Hilton has their lounge closed Saturdays and Sundays, so you may have just run into a routine weekend closure and an uninformed desk clerk since you were there on a Friday morning.
AlanSen likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I am appreciative of lounges in the US and feel doing away with them would be a hit on my experience. Forcing me to mix with the throng for food offerings doesn't appeal....
nismo240ssx and markko like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador; AA Exec Plat; UA Silver
I also don't want to see the lounges go away..but it does seem to be a trend. I've come across at least two Hiltons whose lounges have closed recently:

The Hilton Tucson East just underwent a renovation, and when it reopened recently the lounge was gone, replaced by guest rooms. No notice was given, and pictures of the lounge (along with the old, pre-renovation rooms) are still on the website and in the app.

Also, the Hilton San Diego Mission Valley, which had a nice lounge a few months ago when I was last there, has also since removed it. Now they're selling "premium floor" rooms (like a lot of Embassy Suites do) which include a Keurig coffee maker and snacks and drinks that are restocked daily.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Lounges aren't going away across the board. C'mon people. Fake news time.

The easiest thing for a front desk person to lie about is to blame corporate for any changes that their customers might not like.

This specific hotel probably didn't like paying for Diamond benefits, lounge, etc. now that 95% of the US has Diamond from a credit card or a status match. So they shut down their lounge. Other hotels in the US may do the same, but it's not coming from Hilton corporate as a policy.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:23 am

The Orlando Hilton closed their Executive Lounge as well recently. Not necessarily all a bad thing as breakfast there was crowded and unappealing...now they have a reserved section at restaurant for Diamonds with very nice buffet. Also received appetizer coupons for downstairs bar that served meal-size portions.
Closing ELs internationally, however, would make me rethink Hilton as that is one of the biggest perks!
ProudPatriot likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
I was also going to mention the Orlando Hilton. I haven't been in a state side Hilton that has a lounge in a long time. I really do feel like they are going away.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Newark Hilton Penn Station has a note on their web reservation site that the Executive Lounge closed on Jan 1.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have been spending a lot of time recently at US Marriott properties and their lounges. It made me realize how bad the Hilton US lounges are. I would be happy if they close them and simply give me breakfast at restaurant and some appetizer or drink option at the restaurant in the evening. A lot of the lounges need a refresh in my opinion and they also cost money to operate. I find it hard to believe people are seeing value in actually paying for the Exec lounges at a lot of places. They might just prefer to fold a lot of the lounges as opposed to trying to compete.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
The Hilton Pensacola Beach just opened a new executive lounge back in December. It's quite nice, actually, but does have limited hours (and I still chose the upcharge for the bigger breakfast downstairs).
Old May 14, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
No all lounges are not going away, but there is a noticeable trend of existing lounges closing and much more noticeable that new properties are not having lounges. A new property having a lounge now seems an exception rather than a rule (unless its a reflag which happened to previously have a lounge)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.