Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Rumor: Hilton to Phase Out All Executive Lounges at Hiltons in the United States?

Old May 14, 2018, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by cfariss
I went to the desk to inquire and was told Hilton was phasing out Executive Lounges chain wide and they were "focusing on new business"... I have been unable to confirm through Hilton Customer Cares...

***Before we all get too far along on sharing opinions/angered on lounges being pulled from the Hilton chain, it would be proper to get confirmation or denial of this statement that the Atlanta property gave out as chainwide policy. I'd hate to see a bunch of pitchforks hoisted before anyone really knows what's up.

Lauren? @HonorsRepresentative

TDM (who totally values lounges)
Old May 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I’ve not yet had the pleasure of a US Hilton lounge, but have enjoyed several UK lounges and will go out of my way to book a hotel with a lounge (esp. in London). Hoping this isn’t the beginning of the end for Hilton lounges, as this Diamond member would look elsewhere.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Thanks for flagging this. There are no plans at the Hilton Honors level to remove Executive Lounges from our hotels. We know the lounges are an important benefit to our members and help to ensure we deliver the best experience possible. Any changes at the property level would be an individual hotel decision.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old May 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Thanks very much, Lauren, for this clarification. While it's always disappointing to see a property close its lounge, it's good to know that there's no overarching corporate policy driving these decisions.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Hmmm. This could be significant......

Does anyone have an idea how many Hilton-owned properties there are versus franchise-owned? It seems like there are a lot more franchised Hiltons than Hilton-owned. Seems like this is what Lauren was referring to......I think.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Thanks for the clarification Lauren!
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks for flagging this. There are no plans at the Hilton Honors level to remove Executive Lounges from our hotels. We know the lounges are an important benefit to our members and help to ensure we deliver the best experience possible. Any changes at the property level would be an individual hotel decision.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old May 14, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
Hmmm. This could be significant......

Does anyone have an idea how many Hilton-owned properties there are versus franchise-owned? It seems like there are a lot more franchised Hiltons than Hilton-owned. Seems like this is what Lauren was referring to......I think.
That information is presented in their quarterly results. The latest is as of 31 Mar 2018. According to the provided stats, Hilton Owned/Leased properties - 66, Hilton Managed properties - 265, Franchised - 244.

A link to the document can be found on the Hilton website when you Navigate to the Investor section.
http://ir.hilton.com/~/media/Files/H...gs-release.pdf
Old May 14, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
That information is presented in their quarterly results. The latest is as of 31 Mar 2018. According to the provided stats, Hilton Owned/Leased properties - 66, Hilton Managed properties - 265, Franchised - 244.

A link to the document can be found on the Hilton website when you Navigate to the Investor section.
http://ir.hilton.com/~/media/Files/H...gs-release.pdf
Thanks for the information. On page 9 of the link you sent, I am seeing 21,718 Hilton owned/leased properties; 206, 908 Hilton managed properties and 4,618 franchises.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist

Thanks for the information. On page 9 of the link you sent, I am seeing 21,718 Hilton owned/leased properties; 206, 908 Hilton managed properties and 4,618 franchises.
I think you might have mis-read the column heading as you scrolled through the page.

The 21,718 refers to the total number of rooms at their 71 properties.

In my reply, I had only included the information for the "Hilton Hotels & Resorts" sub-group, as those usually had the Executive Lounges. In my experience for example HGI and Hamptons did not have Exec Lounges.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Thanks!
Lauren
Thanks for the info, but is there no such thing as a brand standard? Seriously, why can we not have reasonable expectations of what we are going to find when we arrive at a Hilton property?

The message that corporate does not intend to do away with lounges but individual properties can do whatever they want is not very comforting.

Typed by the person who, just two nights ago, determined that there was only one Hilton property in the entire island of Manhattan that had an executive lounge.

If Hilton recognizes that "lounges are an important benefit to our members" why are they so frequently missing from "full service" Hilton's located near airports, large bodies of water, or any place that calls itself a resort or tourist attraction?
username likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by cfariss
I stayed at the Atlanta Airport Hilton May 10 -11, 2018. Being a Diamond Member, I followed posted signs to the Executive Lounge for breakfast the next morning to find the door was locked with a normal key lock (my digital attempted to unlock the door, but I received a "something went wrong" message). I went to the desk to inquire and was told Hilton was phasing out Executive Lounges chain wide and they were "focusing on new business". The clerk told me that the lounge had closed about a week earlier and because this property was corporately owned, it was one of the first. I was offered a sandwich from the gift shop or a continental breakfast in the restaurant as my Diamond benefit. I have been unable to confirm through Hilton Customer Cares, only receiving replies to my inquiries telling me what the Executive Lounge is, what the Executive Floor is, and the breakfast policy for this particular policy is - all questions that I know the answer to. They have been less than forthcoming. I have emailed Hilton executive leadership, but no replies. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know the status moving forward with Hilton Executive Lounges? TIA.
I have stayed at this hotel property and experienced its executive lounge.

I decided to go to the official Internet web site of this hotel property and clicked for information on rooms and suites. This is the official description for an Executive Room:

Take in the best views Atlanta has to offer while enjoying exclusive enhancements to your stay including complimentary breakfast at Herb n’ Kitchen (per night per person, max 2). In addition, these high floor executive rooms also include complimentary premium WiFi, luxurious bathrobes, two bottles of water and first-class views of downtown skyline or airport. Other amenities include a Hilton Serenity Bed, a coffee maker, in-room movies, a refrigerator, hairdryer, an iron and ironing board and a video check-out. Each executive level guest room has one king-sized or two queen-sized beds.
Notice that there is no mention of an executive lounge. Frankly — in my opinion, anyway — the name Executive should be removed from the name and description of the room and renamed something else so that future guests are not confused to believe that an executive lounge still exists at this hotel property.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
I think you might have mis-read the column heading as you scrolled through the page.

The 21,718 refers to the total number of rooms at their 71 properties.

In my reply, I had only included the information for the "Hilton Hotels & Resorts" sub-group, as those usually had the Executive Lounges. In my experience for example HGI and Hamptons did not have Exec Lounges.
Note to self: do not send messages of any type after two glasses of wine.

dcmike and DaWhirledTraveller like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Note to self: do not send messages of any type after two glasses of wine.

...that you consumed in the Executive Lounge?
Old May 14, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by canarsie
...that you consumed in the executive lounge?
😄 😄😄
Old May 14, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VA Platinum
Interesting that most of the Double Tree , Curio, Hiltons and Conrads in Asia Pacific are Hilton managed and it is usually where people find the best treatment for Diamonds and Golds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.