Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Destination/Resort Fee added to a prepaid booking

Old Nov 29, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: $9 Fare Club

Prepaid a rate for 2 nights in the Hilton San Diego Bayfront & they've added a $35 Urban Destination fee to the reservation. I suspect they introduced this after my booking, however I don't believe they should be able to apply it retrospectively. Would strike me as a bait & switch move. I will be speaking with Front Desk/Duty Manager if necessary but would welcome any thoughts from folks with prior resort fee shenanigans.
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
My last trip to San Diego was in August this year, I booked my flights and hotel in Sep. 2018. At this time there was a clear information about the mandatory resort/destination fee, that ‚s why I decided to book the Omni hotel.
Old Nov 29, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
Prepaid a rate for 2 nights in the Hilton San Diego Bayfront & they've added a $35 Urban Destination fee to the reservation. I suspect they introduced this after my booking, however I don't believe they should be able to apply it retrospectively. Would strike me as a bait & switch move. I will be speaking with Front Desk/Duty Manager if necessary but would welcome any thoughts from folks with prior resort fee shenanigans.
They did this to me when I checked in in October. The fee was added instituted by the hotel in mid-September and you don't have the option of opting out. I particularly don't like this because part of it is for the use of kayaks and bikes and this is primarily a convention hotel. I did get it back as a credit against my food & beverage charges, but my company would typically pay for that and if I am going to San Diego I don't necessarily want to eat at the hotel. I advised at both check-in and check-out that I will no longer stay at this hotel as long as this fee is in place.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Arguing with a manager about resort fees is one of the most futile actions you can take in a hotel
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I don't see why hotels don't advertise as "Conrad Two Dollar a Night" and add fees to total ~ $450/night.

This was the strategy of "Dollar a Day Rent a Car" back in the 1970s. They were forced to drop the "a Day" from their brand to avoid prosecution.
Sisosig likes this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Arguing with a manager about resort fees is one of the most futile actions you can take in a hotel
Perhaps, but they must be aware that it gets escalated to Corporate unless they deal with it? And a Be Our Guest certificate would cost multiples of the resort fee. I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell a product/service and then come back looking for more money after the fact.
Old Nov 30, 19, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now that these fees, whether termed "urban destination", "resort" or whatever, are common, the days of simply refunding, issuing F&B credits and the like are ending.

Nothing is going to change until there is a decision in one of the various lawsuits out there.
Old Nov 30, 19, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Arguing about resort fees with a hotel manager is fairly futile as they are disclosed at the time of booking. Yet, that's not what's happening here.

This issue is that the resort fee was added after the reservation was booked. As long as the fee isn't mandated by government (like the state of Georgia's $5/night fee), no reasonable person would expect the OP to have to pay a resort/destination fee that wasn't disclosed when the reservation was made.

If I were the OP, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I've actually been in that situation twice (at two different hotels). Both times, the Front Desk proactively informed me that I would not be paying the fee because my reservation was made prior to it being instituted.

If you're worried, just call the hotel and clarify the situation. Other than that, I'd recommend having a printed copy of your reservation. That should be enough to get the hotel to remove the fee if they aren't as proactive as the hotels I visited.
Old Nov 30, 19, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
I guess it comes down to whether the resort fee was disclosed or not. The person in post # 2 in this thread says that a resort fee was disclosed when they were considering booking this hotel in 2018 (which is why they booked elsewhere).

If There wasnít a fee when OP booked or the fee didnít apply to OPís prepaid rate, then I would agree with Writerguyfl that the OP probably wonít be charged but calling may help put his mind at ease.
Old Dec 1, 19, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
I guess it comes down to whether the resort fee was disclosed or not. The person in post # 2 in this thread says that a resort fee was disclosed when they were considering booking this hotel in 2018 (which is why they booked elsewhere).

If There wasnít a fee when OP booked or the fee didnít apply to OPís prepaid rate, then I would agree with Writerguyfl that the OP probably wonít be charged but calling may help put his mind at ease.
Might also depend *how* they booked it for what terms they have -- direct through Hilton or through a third party. AFAIK, priceline or similar often vaguely says there can be other fees but doesn't list them, especially if it's one of the "opaque" bookings. In these cases one might apply.

Or somewhere like Costco travel might indicate clearly there are no other mandatory fees at that property and it may not be required for booking through them (I've seen this in the past - required with direct booking but no resort fee in the Costco price), and the hotel has no right to add it within the terms.
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Update on how this shook out; checked in digitally in the app and didn't notice anything about the Urban Destination fee. Wanted to be certain it wouldn't be an issue so chose to check out with an agent. Low and behold as I'm checking out she says "oh you didn't use any of your F&B credit", I tell her no one told me about it. Proceed to have a conversation about how the Urban Destination fee was added, I note that I prepaid the booking on 9/10, she tells me they instituted it on 9/13 and then did wipe the charge and gave me a zeroed out folio. So ended as it should, but had I not been proactive then it'd have hit on my bill. Sneaky enough and the hotel GM will be getting an email. For reference I booked directly with Hilton and there was no warning of the fee as it wasn't in play at that time.
Sisosig and moa999 like this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just like airlines are required to prominently disclose the TOTAL cost of a flight including surcharges and taxes, why has our government not required the same for hotels? I can't imagine the hotel lobby is that much stronger than the airline lobby, notwithstanding some of the recent wins against AirBnB...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: