Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Room charge got 'reverted' 1 week after checkout (?)

Old Nov 28, 19, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold & ST Elite Plus.

Stayed 1 night in a BKK property last week on a flex rate. Guaranteed booking with card #1 , payed upon checkout with card #2 (with signature). Had a nice stay, no complaints. Just saw on my digital CC slip of card #2 that the charge got 'reverted'. Don't want to awaken sleeping dogs by calling the hotel, but quite curious why a charge could be reverted. Messy front desk? Did my CC company not honour my signature?
Old Nov 28, 19, 4:23 pm

While I can't speak to accounting practices in foreign countries, I did work in hotel accounting here in the United States. Where I worked, there are layers of checks to ensure everything is proper.

In the set-up I worked under, the Front Desk only handles in-house guests and those that have checked out that day. Once the night audit is run, the Front Desk no longer has control over the folio for a guest's stay. As such, I think the notion that the Front Desk was "messy" with your account is unlikely.

Where I worked, I was the Income Auditor. In that position, I audited the Night Auditor. (Of course, the Night Auditor is the person who audits the Front Desk.) Essentially, I was the third layer of checks to ensure guests were correctly charged. My work was signed off on by the Hotel Comptroller, who was the final layer of checks.

As Income Auditor, I was a Monday-Friday employee. On Monday (or Tuesday after a holiday weekend), I'd go through all the audits from the weekend. If I caught anything, I'd make the appropriate charge/credit to a guest's credit card. In most cases, I wasn't required to contact the guest to alert them of the charge/credit because it usually wasn't a huge charge.

I'm speculating, but I'd guess that something was caught during one of the various accounting checks that happen. The only way to know exactly what happened will be by contacting the hotel and asking.
Travel-Quinten likes this.
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
While I can't speak to accounting practices in foreign countries, I did work in hotel accounting here in the United States. Where I worked, there are layers of checks to ensure everything is proper.

In the set-up I worked under, the Front Desk only handles in-house guests and those that have checked out that day. Once the night audit is run, the Front Desk no longer has control over the folio for a guest's stay. As such, I think the notion that the Front Desk was "messy" with your account is unlikely.

Where I worked, I was the Income Auditor. In that position, I audited the Night Auditor. (Of course, the Night Auditor is the person who audits the Front Desk.) Essentially, I was the third layer of checks to ensure guests were correctly charged. My work was signed off on by the Hotel Comptroller, who was the final layer of checks.

As Income Auditor, I was a Monday-Friday employee. On Monday (or Tuesday after a holiday weekend), I'd go through all the audits from the weekend. If I caught anything, I'd make the appropriate charge/credit to a guest's credit card. In most cases, I wasn't required to contact the guest to alert them of the charge/credit because it usually wasn't a huge charge.

I'm speculating, but I'd guess that something was caught during one of the various accounting checks that happen. The only way to know exactly what happened will be by contacting the hotel and asking.
Thanks for your explanation, very interesting! Never knew so many people would check my payment after I would leave the hotel.
I think I got the answer, though. Initially, the charge appeared as 'Doubletree By Hilton' and now a delayed transaction popped up as 'Doubietree By Hilton'. That silly mistake in their hotel name does make me think they use a different bank (where to registered a wrong name) to charge my card.
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
This is a Revolut account.

Firstly you shouldn't be using Revolut for Thai baht transactions at all, as Revolut adds 1% to the exchange rate (and 2% on weekends as defined by UK time). Although if your next best card charges more than 1%, or you are afraid of carrying physical cash euros to Thailand, or you just don't care about paying 0.99% more than necessary, then fine.

So, you used the magstrip on Revolut and had to sign a paper slip? I suspect what happened is that the transaction was confirmed manually after all those paper slips were submitted to the bank, and Revolut displays this as a reversal and recharge. With traditional card providers the process happens transparently so you don't even know it happens.

I'm surprised that you haven't seen it before, as this also happens with any sort of transaction that is not confirmed immediately such as those involving preauthorisations (which is what I thought happened initially, but you said you used a different card for the preauth).

I can't explain the spelling error so you could also be correct that a different bank was involved.
Old Nov 29, 19, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
This is a Revolut account. Firstly you shouldn't be using Revolut for Thai baht transactions at all, as Revolut adds 1% to the exchange rate (and 2% on weekends as defined by UK time). Although if your next best card charges more than 1%, or you are afraid of carrying physical cash euros to Thailand, or you just don't care about paying 0.99% more than necessary, then fine.
Well spot It's Revolut and I created a Thai baht account in it and shifted money in it mid-week (to circumvent that 1% extra). All my other cards charge over 1%, so except the cash option, this is the cheapest option for me.

So, you used the magstrip on Revolut and had to sign a paper slip? I suspect what happened is that the transaction was confirmed manually after all those paper slips were submitted to the bank, and Revolut displays this as a reversal and recharge. With traditional card providers the process happens transparently so you don't even know it happens.
Ah, cool! Didn't know happened behind the scenes. Thanks!

I'm surprised that you haven't seen it before, as this also happens with any sort of transaction that is not confirmed immediately such as those involving preauthorisations (which is what I thought happened initially, but you said you used a different card for the preauth).
I can't explain the spelling error so you could also be correct that a different bank was involved.
It probably happened before, but definitely not all the time - as I use Revolut for about 3 years now and never spot it before.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: