FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Breakfast Amenity - now Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1996388-breakfast-amenity-now-gold.html)

DeeGee26.2 Nov 21, 2019 6:07 am

Breakfast Amenity - recently became Gold

Hi folks,

I've booked a night at the Hilton Islington next weekend. At the time I made the booking I was Silver, having a soft landing from failing the Status Match challenge last year.

Booking was for an Executive Room, on a non-refundable breakfast inclusive rate.

I've managed to get them to status match me to Gold again, since making the booking.

I'm guessing that, because I've already paid a breakfast inclusive rate, there's no point me having my continental breakfast benefit on MyWay, so I might as well request the points instead.

Have I understood correctly? The only reason I status matched in time for this booking was for the extra points anyway.

yurtripper Nov 21, 2019 6:37 am

1) You have a breakfast inclusive rate, so be sure to take the points.
2) Benefits are determined by status at time of stay, not time of booking.

DeeGee26.2 Nov 21, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 31761601)
1) You have a breakfast inclusive rate, so be sure to take the points.
2) Benefits are determined by status at time of stay, not time of booking.

Thanks, I've changed MyWay to points on the app.

Although having had to beg and plead for my free breakfast at the Millenium Hilton last year because I was only Blue when I booked and their paperwork didn't reflect my new status, I'm going to keep an eye on what I get. I'm guessing the room type I've already booked is as "upgraded" as a Gold is likely to get, so it's just points and bottled water that I'll be getting, isn't it?

yurtripper Nov 21, 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 (Post 31761633)

Although having had to beg and plead for my free breakfast at the Millenium Hilton last year because I was only Blue when I booked and their paperwork didn't reflect my new status, I'm going to keep an eye on what I get. I'm guessing the room type I've already booked is as "upgraded" as a Gold is likely to get, so it's just points and bottled water that I'll be getting, isn't it?

Well since you've already paid for an Exec room, maybe you'll get lucky and secure an upgrade to a JS? :-)

DeeGee26.2 Nov 25, 2019 4:12 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper (Post 31761811)
Well since you've already paid for an Exec room, maybe you'll get lucky and secure an upgrade to a JS? :-)

Not holding out much hope of that, as they're emailing me to try to sell me that upgrade.

writerguyfl Nov 25, 2019 7:56 am

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 (Post 31774124)
Not holding out much hope of that, as they're emailing me to try to sell me that upgrade.

In my experience, that's an automated function. One of my regular Hilton-branded hotels always sends out an offer to purchase an upgrade prior to arrival. Aside from a stay over New Year's (when I knew they would be sold out), I just ignore them. I still get complimentary upgrades upon arrival more often than not.

Of course, not all hotels operate in the same manner. But, I wouldn't say an upgrade is impossible just because you got that email.

DeeGee26.2 Nov 26, 2019 2:03 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 31774543)
In my experience, that's an automated function. One of my regular Hilton-branded hotels always sends out an offer to purchase an upgrade prior to arrival. Aside from a stay over New Year's (when I knew they would be sold out), I just ignore them. I still get complimentary upgrades upon arrival more often than not.

Of course, not all hotels operate in the same manner. But, I wouldn't say an upgrade is impossible just because you got that email.

I suppose the fact that they're trying to sell the upgrade means that they've got availability on the rooms.

BrlDsguise Nov 26, 2019 3:54 am

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 (Post 31761633)

Although having had to beg and plead for my free breakfast at the Millenium Hilton last year because I was only Blue when I booked and their paperwork didn't reflect my new status

Again status when booking is irrelevant.

DeeGee26.2 Nov 26, 2019 5:17 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 31777930)
Again status when booking is irrelevant.

It is, and I got the bill corrected. But if I hadn't been paying attention I'd have been $200+ tax in the hole, seeing as how they had me down as blue and I got invoiced for the breakfast! No upgrade either, which I put down, in my jetlagged state on arrival, to the hotel being full, but in hindsight, maybe it wasn't...

All I'm saying is, sometimes the hotel's paperwork doesn't match the status if it changes between booking and arrival.

FlugE Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm

IME the hotels see your status from the time of booking. I've seen this go both ways, e.g. when I made a booking once as Diamond that is what they greeted me as at check-in (instead of Silver).

Of course they can see the current status at check-in if they really want to, so it can be worth mentioning in the case when status has been upgraded.

DeeGee26.2 Nov 28, 2019 2:28 am

Originally Posted by FlugE (Post 31779783)
IME the hotels see your status from the time of booking. I've seen this go both ways, e.g. when I made a booking once as Diamond that is what they greeted me as at check-in (instead of Silver).

Of course they can see the current status at check-in if they really want to, so it can be worth mentioning in the case when status has been upgraded.

Is there any point in doing OLCI now it's open, or do I want to be going to the desk and seeing if they have my status correct. Not that it matters unless there's a vague chance of an upgrade...

DeeGee26.2 Nov 28, 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 (Post 31784707)
Is there any point in doing OLCI now it's open, or do I want to be going to the desk and seeing if they have my status correct. Not that it matters unless there's a vague chance of an upgrade...

Had a look at OLCI today. Only two rooms available, right next to the lifts.

I think I might wait until tomorrow...

cjd Nov 28, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 (Post 31785176)
Had a look at OLCI today. Only two rooms available, right next to the lifts.

I think I might wait until tomorrow...

Sometimes, upgrades appear on the morning of check in. I very rarely use online check in on the day before check in unless a good upgrade appears on that day and I know the hotel is fairly full. Another point for future reference, I have never stayed in the Hilton Islington, but in my experience in having stayed at many UK Hiltons and Doubletrees over the years on room only rates, I have never been offered a continental breakfast as stated in Hilton's rules. It's always been a full breakfast. In the US, it varies from hotel to hotel. This won't apply to you as you've got a breakfast inclusive rate and you should change your MyWay preference to the points on this occasion.

DeeGee26.2 Nov 28, 2019 8:18 am

Originally Posted by cjd (Post 31785203)
Sometimes, upgrades appear on the morning of check in. I very rarely use online check in on the day before check in unless a good upgrade appears on that day and I know the hotel is fairly full. Another point for future reference, I have never stayed in the Hilton Islington, but in my experience in having stayed at many UK Hiltons and Doubletrees over the years on room only rates, I have never been offered a continental breakfast as stated in Hilton's rules. It's always been a full breakfast. In the US, it varies from hotel to hotel. This won't apply to you as you've got a breakfast inclusive rate and you should change your MyWay preference to the points on this occasion.

Thanks Chris.

DeeGee26.2 Nov 28, 2019 11:30 am

Yup, as expected.

They've got me as Silver.