Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Promo - Get 100% more Points free

Old Nov 13, 19, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*

Just received an email offering double points if you purchase 10K or more. Its $100 per 10K and you would now receive 20K. Up to 160,000 points can be purchased (for 320K in total)

The promo seems good for a stay we will be doing next year in Tokyo. Been looking at the Hilton Tokoy (in Shinjuku) and the semi flex rate there comes to a total of $1,987 for 5 nights. The same stay (actually slightly better with fully flex) can be purchased with 70,000 points per night, for a total of 280,000 points, since the 5th night is free

Total cost for buying all the points is $1,400 (I believe taxes are included?)

$1,987-$1,400, so a saving of $587

Caveats:

I would miss out on 1,987 * 10 * Gold Bonus, or 35,766 points, or about 13% of the cost in points
If the price of the hotel goes down in USD, I can rebook at anytime with cash. If I was to buy the points, then I am either stuck with a ton of points, or potentially now taking a loss on the purchase of the points

Anything else to be considered? I have about half the points already, so would only need to purchase about $800 worth, if that was to factor in to people's calculations

My current balance could get devalued at anytime, so if it was to get devalued, then topping up to 280K and making the booking with points now before a devaluation with be a positive thing

Clicking on the email links to this page (after logging in): https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/cus...t/purchase.htm
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:50 pm

Iíve registered for Hilton Honours today only to realise that I am only able to purchase points without recent stays if Iíve been a member for 90 days or more!! Is there any way round this???
Old Nov 13, 19, 2:00 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
Iíve registered for Hilton Honours today only to realise that I am only able to purchase points without recent stays if Iíve been a member for 90 days or more!! Is there any way round this???
Do you know someone who can buy the points for you and then transfer them?
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:45 pm

Explain how this is a good deal! $1500+ for 320,000 points?
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by IncredibleDeals View Post
Explain how this is a good deal! $1500+ for 320,000 points?
I thought my OP was clear on how its potentially good for an upcoming stay of ours:

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
The promo seems good for a stay we will be doing next year in Tokyo. Been looking at the Hilton Tokoy (in Shinjuku) and the semi flex rate there comes to a total of $1,987 for 5 nights. The same stay (actually slightly better with fully flex) can be purchased with 70,000 points per night, for a total of 280,000 points, since the 5th night is free

Total cost for buying all the points is $1,400 (I believe taxes are included?)

$1,987-$1,400, so a saving of $587
Basically $1,400 is less than $1,987 so it seems to be good for us
RafKa and Lefly like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
Do you know someone who can buy the points for you and then transfer them?
There are multiple reports, including in this very forum, of people having their accounts suspended and points taken for doing things like this...
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:58 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
What you really mean is that for your dates, using points is better than using cash at Hilton Tokyo.

That said, buying points at 0.5 cpp is nothing to write home about because most people value those points at 0.3-0.6 cpp.

The fact that Hilton Tokyo has good points redemption for your dates does not make this a good deal for most people generally speaking.
Old Nov 14, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
What you really mean is that for your dates, using points is better than using cash at Hilton Tokyo.
How could I have made the OP more clear with regards to this?

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
The promo seems good for a stay we will be doing next year in Tokyo.
Old Nov 14, 19, 9:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
@pmarrsouth you are missing my point. This thread has nothing to do with the points promo. It's about booking cash vs points for your hotel, your dates.

You titled this thread "promo - get 100% more points free" yet your entire analysis is based on one hotel, one set of dates, so you have made this thread about Hilton Tokyo for you, it's not about the promo. There are lots of ways to get more points into your Hilton account (credit cards, airline miles transfers, etc.), if you find a good Hilton point redemption then go ahead and get those Hilton points and book with points, but having a new thread every time someone considers such a points redemption does not seem all that useful to me. I guess I was misled by what was going to be the content of this thread - anyway, it's just my opinion so I will let others participate instead.
Old Nov 14, 19, 4:23 pm

You're comparing mostly correctly. But your math is off.

For gold you get 18 points per dollar spend, plus whatever the ongoing promotion is (right now, it's an extra 10 for everyone or 20 for amex hilton cardholders).

Running the numbers with 28 ppd on the spend and me estimating $1900 pre-tax on your provided numbers... it comes out to an estimate of somewhere around 5.7 cents per point value on the example stay you have given (with 53200 points + 280000 points == $1900). So, you are potentially saving around 10%, with the tradeoffs that you have noted. (non-refundability of points for $$ if you cancel your stay. Spending your points vs earning them and having them waiting for use later, etc.
Old Nov 14, 19, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
The fact that Hilton Tokyo has good points redemption for your dates does not make this a good deal for most people generally speaking.
To be fair, the OP didn't claim it was good for everyone. He specifically said it was good for his stay.

Anyone who's participated in HHonors for more than 15 seconds knows these points deteriorate in value like a Zimbabwean dollar. I would never buy HH points just to buy and hold them. But targeted for a specific stay, perhaps. And Tokyo is one city where you can still get pretty good value out of HH points at good hotels.
B3nder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: