Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Property Puts Confirmation # and Check In/Out Dates on Mandatory Parking Pass

Old Nov 12, 19, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE

This is a new one for me.

At check-in, I was given a parking pass that had my reservation confirmation number and arrival/departure dates written on it. I was told this parking pass must be clearly displayed on the dash of my vehicle.

The parking structure is attached to the hotel and requires key-card access, so I feel itís fairly secure.

But, Iím not 100% comfortable with my confirmation number on public display.

Has anyone run into this before?
Old Nov 12, 19, 10:51 pm

Ranks #12,000 on my list of things to worry about when traveling.
:D!, arlflyer, BigFishDave and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 12, 19, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's better to have the confirmation number (for a reservation that is already checked in) than your name or room number. The hotel wants some way to identify the car's owner/renter/driver if there's a problem, such as if the car is damaged or needs to be moved.
hhdl, MissJ and BlueZebra like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 5:40 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's better to have the confirmation number (for a reservation that is already checked in) than your name or room number. The hotel wants some way to identify the car's owner/renter/driver if there's a problem, such as if the car is damaged or needs to be moved.
If the hotel needs a way to identify the owner of the car, there are other ways (more respectful of privacy) to accomplish this, such as requesting the license plate number.
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
I must disagree - #12 ,000 is far far too high.

I'm much much more of a privacy advocate than the average bear, and have professional experience in the field, because I know how data leaks and is collected.

This particular scenario just isn't a problem. There's nothing being given up here that identifies the person that belongs to the car.

Also, if driving a rental, I'm not going to remember or worry about that license plate number. Hell, I might not even remember the make and color.

There are plenty of real issues around privacy. This isn't one of them.
jalves, hhdl, jerry305 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 19, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
If the hotel needs a way to identify the owner of the car, there are other ways (more respectful of privacy) to accomplish this, such as requesting the license plate number.
It's actually much more respectful of privacy to tag with the confirmation number (difficult for anyone without access to the property management system to link to you) than to associate the license plate number with the stay (very easy to look up the plate in registration databases).
Old Nov 13, 19, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
I appreciate the input. It threw me for a loop, having never run into this before.
Old Nov 13, 19, 6:37 pm

To elaborate: note that if a property asks for a plate #, it's probably written on the registration cards which are typically filed in a box at the front desk. Especially at a limited service property, it's not going to be that difficult to get your hands on that box for long enough to e.g. snap a picture of a reg card of interest. The reg card will also have a confirmation # and a guest address, but if you're in Honors and have a PO Box in your profile that's probably sufficient to shield that. You can also take steps to shield your registration info (LLC etc.), but there are plate databases maintained for repo men.

These databases are filled in by roving cameras taking pictures of every car they see and recognizing the plates. Chances are that your car has been picked up many times at all hours by these, and it's not that expensive to buy a report of places with times that your car's been spotted: from that data it's easy to deduce where you live/work given your plate.

Granted, in the confirmation number scheme, an attacker could go from knowing you're in room 316 to getting a confirmation number to finding your car and plate in the parking lot and finding out where you live and hacking you to pieces in your sleep, but the hotel asking you for your plate makes that a little easier.

I don't think this is worth being paranoid about, for the record. "Plenty of people will kill you for some fanatical cause" and all that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: