Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Best value and conveniently located Hilton properties in Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best value and conveniently located Hilton properties in Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Gold generally gets you breakfast. Diamond will get you lounge access if they have one.

Depending on the property, Diamonds often get upgrades. I get suites almost every time at some properties.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but I don't have Diamond status yet. I was more interested about the food. Besides lounge access, does Diamond get anything more in terms of food?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:25 am

Ah yes, Asia, that little space between the Bosporus and the Bering. Very easy to speak accurately to using generalizations... /s
camsean likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
  • HGI in KL is very cheap but very grim area and clientele indeed. I stayed there and wished I hadn't.
  • Shenzhen Hiltons are good value for what you get.
  • HGI In HK is good value and OK. Conrad is slightly cheaper now at c.1800-2000
  • Penang DT has good rates
  • Hilton Phuket is quite nice good value as well.
  • Best value for me is HGI in Bali. Really nice and amazing cash but even better on points
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
  • HGI in KL is very cheap but very grim area and clientele indeed. I stayed there and wished I hadn't.
  • Shenzhen Hiltons are good value for what you get.
  • HGI In HK is good value and OK. Conrad is slightly cheaper now at c.1800-2000
  • Penang DT has good rates
  • Hilton Phuket is quite nice good value as well.
  • Best value for me is HGI in Bali. Really nice and amazing cash but even better on points
Just want to be clear that we're talking about the cash rates on all of those properties? Did any of them impressed you with regards to food quality and selection?

I should have Diamond status some time next year. I would love to try out your entire list as a Diamond.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:11 am

I have always gotten club at Hilton KL as gold booking one category below. Same for Hilton PJ in KL.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes, I'm aware of that, but I don't have Diamond status yet. I was more interested about the food. Besides lounge access, does Diamond get anything more in terms of food?
Apart from what's available in the lounge, breakfast in the restaurant is the only other complimentary food bestowed upon a Diamond. And even then, there are exceptions to that policy. Unfortunately there is no secret F&B venue that Diamonds have access to. If you're looking for lobster, champagne and caviar, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The Hilton Petaling Jaya offers good rates for Kuala Lumpur: though these rather reflect its inconvenient location (PJ is a satellite city of KL, contiguous with the capital).

If you are considering other Hilton brands, the two adjacent HGI properties in Chow Kit are central and exceedingly good value.
I'm assuming you meant the Hilton Garden Inn Kuala Lumpur Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman South? Any other comments about the area and food in general?

You're right, the price is really good and a lot cheaper than the Hilton. Having said that, I am thinking of trying the Hilton before I fly out of KUL. I think it's close to KL Sentral so it makes a lot of sense to spend a night or two there before leaving the country.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm assuming you meant the Hilton Garden Inn Kuala Lumpur Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman South? Any other comments about the area and food in general?
the SOUTH and NORTH HGI hotels are more or less adjacent, but operate as separate establishments. The immediate area is far from ritzy, but it's fine. There are some low-key restaurants nearby.

You're right, the price is really good and a lot cheaper than the Hilton. Having said that, I am thinking of trying the Hilton before I fly out of KUL. I think it's close to KL Sentral so it makes a lot of sense to spend a night or two there before leaving the country.
KL Hilton is a nice enough hotel, and it can certainly make sense for first or last nights in the city, before or after the train or bus between airport and Sentral. The DoubleTree may offer a better value proposition, and for me it is in a better longer-stay location than the Hilton. YMMV of course.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich

Nothing much in Chow Kit area where the HGI Jalan TAR North and South is located, however the monorail station is just a few minutes walk away so you are not too far away (3 stops if I remembered correctly) from Bukit Bintang area which is the main shopping area
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

the SOUTH and NORTH HGI hotels are more or less adjacent, but operate as separate establishments. The immediate area is far from ritzy, but it's fine. There are some low-key restaurants nearby.
I'm assuming north and south usually have similar prices? For the dates that I have in mind, North isn't available.

KL Hilton is a nice enough hotel, and it can certainly make sense for first or last nights in the city, before or after the train or bus between airport and Sentral. The DoubleTree may offer a better value proposition, and for me it is in a better longer-stay location than the Hilton. YMMV of course.
Why do you say the DT offer a better value proposition and a better longer stay location?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teo1991
Nothing much in Chow Kit area where the HGI Jalan TAR North and South is located, however the monorail station is just a few minutes walk away so you are not too far away (3 stops if I remembered correctly) from Bukit Bintang area which is the main shopping area
If I arrive at KUL at 1 AM, what's the best way to get to HGI Jalan South? I'm assuming Grab or Taxi? If Grab, I'm assuming all tolls (if any) and any other fees are charged straight to my credit card and I don't need to pay anything extra with cash? How much am I looking at for the fare?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm assuming north and south usually have similar prices? For the dates that I have in mind, North isn't available.
Both similar but they have their independent ups and downs in prices. Both can host tour groups (which I guess can fill the place) though they seem much more common at he North variant

Why do you say the DT offer a better value proposition and a better longer stay location?
It's always cheaper than the Hilton, sometimes by not so much, but often quite dramatically so. The rest is my highly subjective opinion: for me it's a comfortable place, in an area i find convenient. It doesn't hurt that there's a covered/shaded walkway to the LRT and the lower floors of the building housing the hotel have restaurants, a food court, pharmacy and up-market supermarket.

But seriously, not being rude, but why not try the places out yourself - you'll get a mish-mash of opinions from this forum.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Both similar but they have their independent ups and downs in prices. Both can host tour groups (which I guess can fill the place) though they seem much more common at he North variant

It's always cheaper than the Hilton, sometimes by not so much, but often quite dramatically so. The rest is my highly subjective opinion: for me it's a comfortable place, in an area i find convenient. It doesn't hurt that there's a covered/shaded walkway to the LRT and the lower floors of the building housing the hotel have restaurants, a food court, pharmacy and up-market supermarket.

But seriously, not being rude, but why not try the places out yourself - you'll get a mish-mash of opinions from this forum.
No offence taken. There's only so much time and obviously there are no shortage of options. Just want to read some opinions from the experts here and then I'll make up my mind. After all, we're sharing our knowledge and expertise here right?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
  • HGI in KL is very cheap but very grim area and clientele indeed.
?? IMO neither of the Hilton properties are located in such areas in KL
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by teo1991
And the free Go KL City bus (red line - south bound) stops right in front of the hotel and the blue line to KLCC 100 meter east of the Chow Kit monorail station.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.