Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Is it bad to keep the keys? (A fun survey in souvenirs vs. waste)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it bad to keep the keys? (A fun survey in souvenirs vs. waste)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:30 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I kept my Waldorf Astoria Maldives card, it's made out of wood, so thought it would be a nice to hang on to it rather than the ordinary plastic cards. The only other key I have been tempted to keep were the ones at the Hotel Danieli Venice but couldn't make myself do it.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If it's just a generic key I leave it in the room when I check out.

There's been a few times I've taken the key if they have a unique design. One of the chains used to put the state on them and I would keep those. I've gone to events hosted at the hotel and if they do a special key sometimes I will keep them, but I figure they won't recycle them anyway and probably expect the guests to keep them since they can't be reused seeing they were designed for a specific event.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:18 pm

It looks like there's some serious key-card-collection art out there:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/10414642858518895/?nic=1a

Bicoastal Local likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:10 pm

I return my keys but my youngest son has collected quite a pile of keys. I don't discourage anything that makes him think positively about travel.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1P/MM; HH Gold; MR Gold
Once upon a time, I brought home the Hampton Inn "state" card keys as something fun to collect/talk about.

In recent years, when I forget to leave them behind (either at the desk or in the room upon checking out), I tuck them in my bag and then periodically hand them all over when checking out somewhere else.

However, now that they are switching to RFID cards, I found that hotels already converted to Digital Key didn't have a use for the mag stripe ones. A temporary issue.

As for throwing them away, well....My perspective is that we have a global plastic waste issue, folks, so do your part even when it seems trivial.
MissJ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.