Reward price changes?

Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Reward price changes?

I was just looking at my upcoming stays and notice the reward pricing has changed some since my original booking. One has gone up,but one has come down a titch. Do I need to cancel and rebook to save myself a few points? Thanks for looking at my newb question!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
If rates have changed, then yes, rebook, and then cancel the original. (unless you haven't enough points to do it that way round)
clkc86 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I was surprised reward prices would go down!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by chistery
If rates have changed, then yes, rebook, and then cancel the original. (unless you haven't enough points to do it that way round)

But don't feel any obligation to do this for the reservation where the price has gone up
clkc86 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by clkc86
Thank you for your reply. I was surprised reward prices would go down!
Just happened to me a week ago on a RSVP I booked 3 months ago in Eastern Europe. Points needed dropped from 34K a night to 28K. Cash costs for a room seemed to drop a corresponding percentage. Stay is in about 3 weeks from now.

A few days after I rebooked at the lower rate, checked again and the points jumped to 38K. Cash cost also went up, but not by a similar full percentage rise.

Moral to the story, regularly check points bookings right up to your cancel deadline. About one on three bookings of mine since HH eliminated fixed charts I have successfully ratcheted award prices down. Sometimes the savings may be as little as 2,000 points/night though.
clkc86 and ankomonkey like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Good to know, thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'd simply add that, if the reward price goes down, it's likely that the cash price is now very low for that property and you may be better banking ALL your points and paying entirely in cash.
clkc86 and wizla like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Award prices are linked to the current price of the flexible rate, but capped at a maximum number of points. This maximum used to be published and related to award categories, but these no longer officially exist, which has been an excuse for several devaluations.

If the award price is not a multiple of 10000 (except for the now rare 5000 point hotels) then it is most likely a revenue-based award price. Thus if the flexible rate goes down the number of points required can also go down.

Furthermore, the award price is based on the flexible rate when converted to USD. Thus, if the USD rises in value to the currency of the hotel's rates, the award price can also drop, generally only 1000 points at a time.

This was particularly noticeable with BREXIT as every time GBP dropped by more than 2 or 3% vs USD I was able to rebook award stays for 1000 points less - and the lower points prices stuck even if GBP recovered later. Also the case when the euro was falling against the USD in 2018.
clkc86 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Just happened to me a week ago on a RSVP I booked 3 months ago in Eastern Europe. Points needed dropped from 34K a night to 28K. Cash costs for a room seemed to drop a corresponding percentage. Stay is in about 3 weeks from now.

A few days after I rebooked at the lower rate, checked again and the points jumped to 38K. Cash cost also went up, but not by a similar full percentage rise.

Moral to the story, regularly check points bookings right up to your cancel deadline. About one on three bookings of mine since HH eliminated fixed charts I have successfully ratcheted award prices down. Sometimes the savings may be as little as 2,000 points/night though.
Originally Posted by :D!
Award prices are linked to the current price of the flexible rate, but capped at a maximum number of points. This maximum used to be published and related to award categories, but these no longer officially exist, which has been an excuse for several devaluations.

If the award price is not a multiple of 10000 (except for the now rare 5000 point hotels) then it is most likely a revenue-based award price. Thus if the flexible rate goes down the number of points required can also go down.

Furthermore, the award price is based on the flexible rate when converted to USD. Thus, if the USD rises in value to the currency of the hotel's rates, the award price can also drop, generally only 1000 points at a time.

This was particularly noticeable with BREXIT as every time GBP dropped by more than 2 or 3% vs USD I was able to rebook award stays for 1000 points less - and the lower points prices stuck even if GBP recovered later. Also the case when the euro was falling against the USD in 2018.
The price yo-yo continues today. Significant drop in both the cash price and points. Flexible rate is now 109€ including taxes, or 26,000 points.

Ultimately I cancelled the points RSVP and moved to an AAA cash rate of 104€ all-in. It is a HGI property, BTW.
clkc86 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:16 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Moderator2
The price yo-yo continues today. Significant drop in both the cash price and points. Flexible rate is now 109€ including taxes, or 26,000 points.

Ultimately I cancelled the points RSVP and moved to an AAA cash rate of 104€ all-in. It is a HGI property, BTW.
0.42 eurocents per point seems to be the best you can get on these revenue-based redemptions, but only if you were going to pay the flexible rate. I'm happy to redeem at this rate when I have too many points and no plans to use them at properties which are more expensive thus still offering the fixed/capped points rates.
clkc86 and Moderator2 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.