Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Q: How to get a cash refund of Hilton Honors points? A: Not possible.

Q: How to get a cash refund of Hilton Honors points? A: Not possible.

Old Oct 16, 19, 3:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
Q: How to get a cash refund of Hilton Honors points? A: Not possible.

In the end of may we transferred $4,000 worth of American Express rewards points into a newly opened Hilton Honors account in order to book a stay at Conrad Bali, where our friends were getting married. Upon arrival to Bali on September 2nd we found the property in dilapidated condition and checked out the same day. The staff at the hotel, including the general manager, was extremely apologetic (not that it helped after a 20 hr flight from California)... Eventually toward the end of September, after many emails with the hotel GM, we got our 838,000 HH points back. However, now Iíd like it refunded back either as AmEx rewards or as cash value on the card. We have no intention of ever staying in Hilton hotels, especially after this experience. However, the customer service team at HH hotline has been uncooperative. I call the corporate number, but they donít pick up. I found some head of customer relations for HH on LinkedIn - she did not respond to me. What else can I do? We feel robbed.
Olga Pernik is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,530
Doubt it will happen, but suppose you could keep trying if you have a lot of patience and time to burn. Or just stop wasting your time and stay at another HH property; itís always amazing when someone ghosts several thousand properties because of a bad experience at just one.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:21 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
We have never stayed in Hilton before, prefer too stay in small boutique hotels wherever we go...
Olga Pernik is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,530
Not much incentive for HH to grant your request then, is there?
smmrfld is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: From LHR to SFO to LAS
Programs: None
Posts: 1,856
Originally Posted by Olga Pernik View Post
In the end of may we transferred $4,000 worth of American Express rewards points into a newly opened Hilton Honors account in order to book a stay at Conrad Bali, where our friends were getting married. Upon arrival to Bali on September 2nd we found the property in dilapidated condition and checked out the same day. The staff at the hotel, including the general manager, was extremely apologetic (not that it helped after a 20 hr flight from California)... Eventually toward the end of September, after many emails with the hotel GM, we got our 838,000 HH points back. However, now Iíd like it refunded back either as AmEx rewards or as cash value on the card. We have no intention of ever staying in Hilton hotels, especially after this experience. However, the customer service team at HH hotline has been uncooperative. I call the corporate number, but they donít pick up. I found some head of customer relations for HH on LinkedIn - she did not respond to me. What else can I do? We feel robbed.
A bit confused here. If you booked using Hilton points, why would they give you cash or Amex points back? That doesn't make sense. Seems like they have done what should be done...give you the points back.
SgtRyan is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:26 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
Well the only reason we bought the points off of our Amex card was to stay in Bali for friends wedding. We have never stayed in Hilton hotels before, and likely never will. We have no use for the points... I do regret buying the points in first place, but we thought we were getting a better deal
Olga Pernik is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,530
Well then, this will be one of those travel learning experiences. If you’re so adamant about not staying at an HH property, maybe you can gift or donate the points to someone who can use them.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:30 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Well then, this will be one of those travel learning experiences. If youíre so adamant about not staying at an HH property, maybe you can gift or donate the points to someone who can use them.
Iím not sure where your attitude is coming from. I simply asked for help here.
Olga Pernik is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,530
Originally Posted by Olga Pernik View Post
Iím not sure where your attitude is coming from. I simply asked for help here.
Not sure what you mean. Youíre stuck with the points but refuse to use them. Why not give them to someone or an organization that can use them instead of letting them go to waste?
Beano likes this.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: n/a
Posts: 16
Talking

Thats not how this works. Thats not how any of this works.
itslit509 is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:51 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by itslit509 View Post
Thats not how this works. Thats not how any of this works.
And why? I bought a commodity that I do not need anymore. Now I want a refund. Isnít that how it works?
Olga Pernik is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:54 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,530
Originally Posted by Olga Pernik View Post
And why? I bought a commodity that I do not need anymore. Now I want a refund. Isn’t that how it works?
Only if you can find language in the HH and/or AMEX T&Cs that provides for a refund. I’m pretty sure that such language doesn’t exist.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 3:59 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Only if you can find language in the HH and/or AMEX T&Cs that provides for a refund. Iím pretty sure that such language doesnít exist.
One can hope ))) itís a lot of money... otherwise Iíd just leave it be
Olga Pernik is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 4:00 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SNA
Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Olga Pernik View Post
And why? I bought a commodity that I do not need anymore. Now I want a refund. Isnít that how it works?
Not if the terms specifically state:
Unfortunately, American Express holds no responsibility for flight or accommodation availability; this is at the sole discretion of the partners. Refunds and point returns are not accommodated after the transfer to a partner programme has been instructed.
PilgrimsProgress is offline  
Old Oct 16, 19, 4:02 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Not if the terms specifically state:
Yeah that makes sense, not trying to get the money from Amex as they donít hold it in their possession
Olga Pernik is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread