Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Elite Status Booking for someone else

Old Oct 13, 19, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt

Hello,

I am wondering if I can book a room for my sister and mother using my account and member rate (for new york, in december). I would be paying for the stay. The question is twofold:
-Can they get the room upgrade/benefits of the credit card if Im not in the reservation? Or else can I book with my name and check in, then just switch places with my sister, etc? Would they notice/care? If they arrive separately, does the second person arriving need to check in at the hotel desk when she arrives?
-Can I get points on a reservation for others if I pay for it?

My second question is if a reservation is under my name, with Gold status, and the guest is my husband, with Diamond status, can his status benefits apply to the entire reservation?

Thank you!
Old Oct 14, 19, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
If you are staying at the hotel, check-in yourself and hand your keys to the family member actually staying in the room. Be prepared for an embarrassing situation if you are caught. (most likely at breakfast or something where your family would have to pretend to be you)

If you aren't actually staying, then it gets more complicated, as you would be engaging in fraudulent behaviour. Elite benefits, points, etc. are for the Honors member only.

I'm guessing that this is a family trip. So book one room in your husband's name and another room in your name. The registered guest's status is what matters, although some hotels might take into account the status of any additional guests. Benefits are for the registered guest + 1 guest, so you cannot apply a single Diamond member's benefits to multiple rooms.

Last edited by craigthemif; Oct 14, 19 at 2:12 am
Old Oct 14, 19, 7:06 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Benefits are for the registered guest + 1 guest, so you cannot apply a single Diamond member's benefits to multiple rooms.
This always seem to vary greatly by hotel or even employee. I recently stayed at a DoubleTree where I had booked three rooms for everyone traveling with me and we had a total of 6 people. At check-in we were all together and I made it clear that others were staying in rooms that I had originally booked under my name. We even put their names on at check-in. The employee thanked me for being a Diamond and said that we were all welcome to enjoy free breakfast in the morning.

I don't like to take advantage of the system but many times I run into this scenario where the hotel employee promotes it.
Old Oct 14, 19, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by neotope View Post
This always seem to vary greatly by hotel or even employee. I recently stayed at a DoubleTree where I had booked three rooms for everyone traveling with me and we had a total of 6 people. At check-in we were all together and I made it clear that others were staying in rooms that I had originally booked under my name. We even put their names on at check-in. The employee thanked me for being a Diamond and said that we were all welcome to enjoy free breakfast in the morning.

I don't like to take advantage of the system but many times I run into this scenario where the hotel employee promotes it.
which DoubleTree property is this?
Old Oct 14, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
As I understand your question, you will stay in 1 room with your husband and your mother and sister in another room at the same time and at the same NY hotel. You want to book and pay (prepay?) for both rooms to maximize HH points.

First of all, to get HH points for both rooms you need to merge the 2 folios into one at check-out. At check-out you ask to pay for both rooms in 1 folio - obviously, a folio with your name and HH # in the reservation.

Secondly, you should book both rooms in your name. Add your mother or sister as second guest for 1 of the rooms (and your husband for the second room). Then she will be able to check-in ahead of you and get the keys to the room where your sister and mother will be staying (she should mention at check-in that you will arrive later). When you arrive at the hotel you check-in and mention that you have reserved 2 rooms. You could mention that your husband is HH D and provide his account # at check-in; Most likely the front desk agent will accept this and provide HH benefits for this room (maybe both rooms if he/she is aware that all of you are in 2 rooms) but there is a risk that the agent will update the reservation into his name. Anyway, at check-out you just ask for the room rates paid and any incidentals to be merged into 1 folio under your name.

If you check-in together with them, you just check-in for both rooms; the hotels doesn't care who stays with whom in the rooms. Normally there is no fuzz about this, but if the agent insist to get occupants in the rooms right, you just check-in yourself for one of the rooms (together with your sister or mother) and let your husband check-in for the other room with his HHD # - the hotel can't prevent you from switching room with your sister or mother afterwards. I believe you get the idea, right
Old Oct 15, 19, 7:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Benefits are for the registered guest + 1 guest, so you cannot apply a single Diamond member's benefits to multiple rooms.
Originally Posted by neotope View Post
This always seem to vary greatly by hotel or even employee.
Officially yes, but unofficially - at least for me in my part of the world - I have never had breakfast and lounge access not extended to the 2nd & 3rd rooms on my reservation by the check-in agent (I've never even had to ask, it is always proactively offered). In most cases the additional rooms even get upgraded.

But coming back to OP's question, booking in your name without any intention to stay -- in my limited experience Hiltons are starting to get wise to this, and won't extend Gold/Diamond benefits without you showing up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: