Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn insists credit card be swiped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Marriott

I am on a road trip in the USA and am staying at Hampton Inns. I book online through the Hilton Honors app, and use my Hilton Honors credit card, which is in my profile, to book.

I forgot to bring the credit card with me, but at the Hampton Inn in Florence, SC, I was told no problem. I have plenty of ID and offered another credit card for possible miscellaneous charges. They said it wasn’t needed.

Tonight I checked in at a Hampton Inn in Bridgewater, NJ and was told I must have my card present at check-in. I explained that I booked online through the HH app, and HH used the credit card on file to confirm my no cancellation reservation. I offered another credit card for miscellaneous charges. They insisted on charging the whole amount, plus a $25 deposit against miscellaneous charges on my non-HH card. I explained that I would miss out on points from using the HH card. They Insisted it was hotel policy.

It occurred to me later that I could have checked in online and used a digital key, and this issue would not have come up.

Does anyone know what Hilton Honors’ policy is on having a credit card present?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:16 pm

HGI Hollywood CA does the same thing.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
I expect this would vary based on property ownership and the requirements of their CC acquirer and or processor and not be controlled by a brand standard. Depending on the property's merchant agreement, there may be financial incentives for them to require a swipe/dip as card-present transactions often incur lower processing fees.

Requiring a physical card swipe may reduce fraud, producing and ID and the card will tend to lower incidence of claimed or real chargebacks from stolen cards; for this reason mobile check-ins may still require presentation of the physical card to be charged.

But as you said, your mileage may vary, many properties cannot be bothered to ask for the physical card.

After your stay you could contact the property and a cooperative back office agent MAY be willing to charge your stay to the correct card and refund the folio to your other card but that is fairly big ask. If you are still travelling you might consider requesting a replacement card be overnighted to your next hotel. If you indicate you know where your existing card is, but you cannot use it, most issuers will send a card with the same number.

Cheers
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
I expect this would vary based on property ownership and the requirements of their CC acquirer and or processor and not be controlled by a brand standard. Depending on the property's merchant agreement, there may be financial incentives for them to require a swipe/dip as card-present transactions often incur lower processing fees.
This is likely the reason. In all the hotels in which I worked, it was cheaper to process a credit card that was present (aka swiped through the machine) than one not present. If I remember correctly from when I worked in an hotel accounting position, I think the difference in pricing was contingent upon the number of chargebacks relating to those non-present cards (aka stolen cards).

All of the hotels I worked were business hotels with a ton of repeat guests and the bulk of our "new" guests were usually related to existing local corporate accounts. Stolen cards were not a significant issue. As a result, the policy was to use the card on file (meaning it didn't have to be swiped) if the guest requested.

A Hampton Inn along an interstate would have a very different clientele. Those properties would have far fewer repeat guests and not many local corporate accounts. Those factors mean they are far more prone to processing stolen cards. As such, I understand the reasoning as to why a hotel would require a card to be present.
:D!, hhdl, TerryK and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by smmrfld
HGI Hollywood CA does the same thing.
OLCI and Digital Key can bypass the front desk at this particular property.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a function of the individual property's payment processor and its contract. Often the interchange fee is lower for a card swipe, so that is what the property requires.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1
This is a function of the individual property's payment processor and its contract. Often the interchange fee is lower for a card swipe, so that is what the property requires.
This is incorrect; the property may have other reasons. In the case of the HGI noted above, according to more than one source, it's due to the “neighborhood” in which the property is located and is a property-level choice. Chargebacks are likely a factor.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
First, welcome to FT, sofloflyer! We hope you stay awhile, make some friends, learn and share some stuff! This happened to me in LA, only one of four hotels in one trip asked for a swipe, but after a chat they left in on my not-present card.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I spoke to reception this morning when checking out. She spoke to the GM on duty and they agreed to change the charges to my HH card. Unfortunately, they needed the full credit card number to change it back. I didn’t know the full number and all we could pull up online was the last 4 digits. She suggested I call her when I got home and she’d be happy to transfer the charges to my HH credit card.

She agreed that if I had checked in online and used a digital key, the HH card would have automatically charged. Better strategy for next time!

Thanks to all for your good suggestions.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sofloflyer
Hampton Inn in Florence, SC?
If you’re referring to the one by the convention center (not the I-95 north Hampton), this is a fantastic property.

Relatively new, friendly staff, frequent upgrades.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd worry in a case like this that I could be charged twice, first as possibly a no show on the credit card used on the reservation and then again on the card presented at check in. With different cards, this would be a big mess to fix as it wouldn't obviously be a double charge and it wouldn't be obvious which card (if any technically) should get the chargeback.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aww3583
If you’re referring to the one by the convention center (not the I-95 north Hampton), this is a fantastic property.

Relatively new, friendly staff, frequent upgrades.
Yes. We enjoyed our stay there. There was a fair going on in the Convention Center parking lot. Also, we like Margaritas Mexican Restaurant (aka La Bamba) nearby. It’s nice walk from hotel.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd worry in a case like this that I could be charged twice, first as possibly a no show on the credit card used on the reservation and then again on the card presented at check in. With different cards, this would be a big mess to fix as it wouldn't obviously be a double charge and it wouldn't be obvious which card (if any technically) should get the chargeback.
I’m actually not going to redo the charges. Too much hassle for possible risks. I agree with you on that. But will use online check in next time. Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by sofloflyer
...Does anyone know what Hilton Honors’ policy is on having a credit card present?
I recall being required to hand over my credit card on 2 occasions. The first time was at an HGI in Las Vegas. When I politely questioned the requirement I was told they were allowed to require the card due to issues with fraud. After the stay I confirmed with Hilton that this was allowed. The second time I ran into this (can't remember the hotel) I went along with it given the location.

So I assume, to answer your question, that in at least some situations the official policy allows it.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Don't lose sleep over it. If you really want the points, when you are done with your stay and back home, call the hotel and ask for the accounting department. They will be able to charge a new card after you fill out a page or two of paperwork. Have never had that fail. Can tell them you messed up expense policy or something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.