Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Have 19K Hilton Points, Should I Buy Another 22K for $110?

Old Sep 28, 19, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat

So recently realized I have 19K Hilton points from a stay earlier this year. I did some research and it appears 19K in North America can barely get me anything. Random checks tell me that typically 40K to 60K Hilton points are needed for a typical hotel night. Not thinking of anywhere else outside of NA atm.

So I have two options: transfer to Aeroplan at a stupidly bad rate, OR purchase 22K Hilton points for $110 USD with the 100% bonus to top my account to 40K plus, for an one night stay at an airport should I need it. So yes itís speculative but I do travel a lot and occasionally need an airport hotel last minute.

Thoughts? Currently diamond (matched from Marriott) but will only be silver or gold next year.
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Maybe get in another Honors stay or two so you can get enough points for some stays?
At Diamond level you should be able to get points fast. Buying points is a mistake here - $110 is probably around what a cheaper Hampton at an airport would cost anyway. Why not spend that same $110, get Diamond points on the stay, and wind up with enough points to do what you wanted to do in the first place.
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:26 pm

Don’t do it.
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:29 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
On your next stay, just use the points to make it a points-and-cash stay.
:D!, more4less, Yemona and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
I value Hilton points so much I use them to buy stuff at Amazon. The redemption rate is really bad, but what do I care. Iím getting free stuff. I do so few Hilton stays that I donít accumulate points very fast. When I have a Hilton stay, I enjoy the experience and forget about collecting for redemptions.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant View Post
Maybe get in another Honors stay or two so you can get enough points for some stays?
At Diamond level you should be able to get points fast. Buying points is a mistake here - $110 is probably around what a cheaper Hampton at an airport would cost anyway. Why not spend that same $110, get Diamond points on the stay, and wind up with enough points to do what you wanted to do in the first place.
Iím still trying to hit Marriott Titanium this year (yeah I know itís not much better but it gives me suites better than HH diamond), so if I need to pay to stay somewhere, it goes to Marriott. The stay earlier this year at Hilton was a work trip that mandated Hilton.

My Diamond status was a match so will expire October 20. $110 doesnít really give me a nice airport hotel whereas 40K generally can.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:02 am
Suspended

I once heard an anecdote about a guy who walked into a men's room and saw another guy throwing a hundred dollar bill into a toilet. He asked the bill thrower what he was doing and he said he dropped a quarter in the toilet and was throwing the bill in to make it worth getting the quarter.

Unless someone has a specific and economically advantageous use for points at the time of purchase, he is like the bill thrower.
Cymro, yurtripper and Beano like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: United Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
So recently realized I have 19K Hilton points from a stay earlier this year. I did some research and it appears 19K in North America can barely get me anything. Random checks tell me that typically 40K to 60K Hilton points are needed for a typical hotel night. Not thinking of anywhere else outside of NA atm.

So I have two options: transfer to Aeroplan at a stupidly bad rate, OR purchase 22K Hilton points for $110 USD with the 100% bonus to top my account to 40K plus, for an one night stay at an airport should I need it. So yes itís speculative but I do travel a lot and occasionally need an airport hotel last minute.

Thoughts? Currently diamond (matched from Marriott) but will only be silver or gold next year.
If you are staying in a Hilton at least once per year, I would just patiently wait. You need to be able to use the fifth night free offer or stay during a big event (World Series, Super Bowl, etc) to get the best value for Hilton points.
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Iím still trying to hit Marriott Titanium this year (yeah I know itís not much better but it gives me suites better than HH diamond), so if I need to pay to stay somewhere, it goes to Marriott. The stay earlier this year at Hilton was a work trip that mandated Hilton.

My Diamond status was a match so will expire October 20. $110 doesnít really give me a nice airport hotel whereas 40K generally can.
What's wrong with the Cash & Points option mentioned above that you seem not to have seen - just slide the slider to exactly 19,000 pts and pay the balance.
B3nder and birdiedouble like this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
So, that doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me. If you were earning the points on a stay at 30 points/dollar (regular earn + typical promotion bonus + Diamond bonus) you'd need to spend $733.

It sounds as if you have a very specific situation in mind, and very specific constraints (don't stay at Hilton much). So I'm going to be contrarian and say this is an exception, and one of the few times it might make sense to do this.
Old Sep 29, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold
Don't. Its too expensive. Use cash+points or accumulate more.
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
What's wrong with the Cash & Points option mentioned above that you seem not to have seen - just slide the slider to exactly 19,000 pts and pay the balance.

Because generally speaking Iíd have to pay more than $110 USD to get to a hotel room prices at 40K with only 19K available. I tried a few options and the average cash portion was $150 USD for a $250ish room.

Why would I want to pay more?
Old Sep 29, 19, 6:20 pm

Because generally speaking I’d have to pay more than $110 USD to get to a hotel room prices at 40K with only 19K available. I tried a few options and the average cash portion was $150 USD for a $250ish room.
Seems like your "example" is one of the unicorn places (They exist, just very very uncommon.) that hasn't raised their point caps if it's $250 for only 40k points. Usually that's in the 50-60k range.

Since you don't know where you will actually want to use the stay, it seems much more reasonable to use a more average point value.
The more common point values are equal or less than the $110 you propose to spend for 22k points.

It's not a great investment to risk an extra $110 (with no plans, and risk of the points devaluing even further before you use them. Or still coming up short for where you want to stay...) for a a maximum possible gain of ~$40.

This is still ignoring the value of any future points you would earn on the "money" portion from points and money, which would already bring the example to close to parity by itself and making the max benefit only maybe $10 or so.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks, did not realize Hilton points are worth so little. I wonít buy any and just going to wait and see.
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Ok thanks, did not realize Hilton points are worth so little. I wonít buy any and just going to wait and see.
If you had a particular, pressing use in mind, and you've done the math, it would make sense.

But if you bought some just to get up to 40k, and you find out the hotel really could be had for 30k, you'd be again stuck with 10k orphan miles. You're right to wait until you can make a complete transaction.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: