Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Reasonable amount of points for safety/security issue

Reasonable amount of points for safety/security issue

Old Sep 26, 19, 9:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Southwest, American, IHG
Posts: 1
Reasonable amount of points for safety/security issue

Just looking for a weigh in on expectations. Gold member, recently completed a one week stay at a Doubletree property. Last night of the stay, late into the evening, encountered a security issue with guests who had just checked into the adjoining room next to mine. For my safety/security, I had to pack up and move rooms late at night with the assistance of security and a manager. These guests had already been "removed" from one area of the hotel, and were about to be "removed" from the hotel. The manager asked what they could do for me to make it right. I was rattled, adrenaline on high and wasn't thinking about what I would want. They said they would comp enough points for a two night stay at another Doubletree or Hilton property, and made it sound as though it would be a generous amount of points. I didn't ask how many points that would be - but had a number in my head. After checking out, I waited longer than the stated 48-72 hours and then called the hotel when points still hadn't posted. The only points that posted were 10k for an issue that happened earlier in the week (I did not ask for the points, I informed them in passing of a problem that had occurred, they deeply apologized and offered 10k points).

At this point it's been a week, I called back today and could not reach that same manager. The other manager on duty said 40,000 should be adequate, and that their standard rate of redemption s 20,000 per night. That doesn't make sense to me. The nights that I stayed there, the rooms were going for 50-70k points per night. Even tonight, the room is going for 30k points, next week 71k points. How many points would you think is reasonable to expect for a comped 2 night stay at an average Doubletree? Not sure where to go from here, never had an experience like this. Should I call and ask them to reverse the 40k points and just refund the two nights? Thanks
2sparrows is offline  
Old Sep 26, 19, 9:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,874
A “number in your head” has no bearing on reality; a specific amount should have been agreed-upon at the time. Maybe you’ll get more points than offered, maybe not. I wouldn’t spend much time on it; give it one more shot, then move on.
nancypants, wizla and BlueZebra like this.
smmrfld is offline  
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:43 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,844
There's really no basis for your argument for more compensation. The opportunity for you to negotiate has probably gone. If you want to stay at the same hotel, why not ask them simply to comp you a specific night/nights.

40K will buy you ten nights at some Hilton group hotels, certainly four nights at some Hiltons/Doubletrees. From what you say it will buy you two nights at the hotel you are focussed on if you're lucky with the dates: otherwise it simply makes a significant contribution to the points total required for the stay.

No harm in trying, of course, but be prepared to be rebuffed: going all out to exploit these situations is never going to be a comfortable process.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Sep 27, 19, 12:20 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: MAN and LON
Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 13,721
Never ask for points always ask for be my guest certificates saves any confusion and is generally worth far more than any points offer.
Land-of-Miles is offline  
Old Sep 27, 19, 11:49 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
40K will buy you ten nights at some Hilton group hotels, certainly four nights at some Hiltons/Doubletrees. From what you say it will buy you two nights at the hotel you are focussed on if you're lucky with the dates: otherwise it simply makes a significant contribution to the points total required for the stay.
What? What 4k night hotels? AFAIK there's only a handful of 5k ones in the whole Hilton Portfolio, in third world economies.

Where is even one of these Hilton/ doubletrees you refer to at only 10k/night that you say are "certainly" available?
strickerj likes this.
B3nder is offline  
Old Sep 27, 19, 2:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PHL/EWR
Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Posts: 1,525
Originally Posted by B3nder View Post
What? What 4k night hotels? AFAIK there's only a handful of 5k ones in the whole Hilton Portfolio, in third world economies.

Where is even one of these Hilton/ doubletrees you refer to at only 10k/night that you say are "certainly" available?
4K = 5K with the fifth night free.

The OP really didn't give enough details on what happened to provide a reasonable response. Sounds like the occupants of the adjoining room may have had two much to drink at a party or the hotel bar and continued their antics or argument in the room next door and the hotel decided to evict them and for whatever reason didn't want the OP in the room when this happened. Maybe the hotel wanted to have access to the connecting door in case they weren't able to use the room's door due to the deadbolt.being locked. This happened "late" at night which sounds like it wasn't the middle of the night. If something like this happened 40K or $200 worth of points seems reasonable to me.

On the other hand if the people shot their TV I would want the entire stay comped.
RoyalFlush likes this.
BrlDsguise is offline  
Old Sep 27, 19, 2:58 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,844
Originally Posted by B3nder View Post
What? What 4k night hotels? AFAIK there's only a handful of 5k ones in the whole Hilton Portfolio, in third world economies.

Where is even one of these Hilton/ doubletrees you refer to at only 10k/night that you say are "certainly" available?

That handful of 5K-nighters become 4K-nighters on 5 night stays.

And possibly better not to use the appellation "third world economies". It's an archaic term and can be offensive: it's hard to know what is meant by it - usually it serves only to betray ignorance.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Sep 27, 19 at 3:11 pm Reason: spelling!
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Sep 27, 19, 5:28 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
That handful of 5K-nighters become 4K-nighters on 5 night stays.

And possibly better not to use the appellation "third world economies". It's an archaic term and can be offensive: it's hard to know what is meant by it - usually it serves only to betray ignorance.
It's a handful though, it seems like you implied there were more than a handful. I guess "some" could mean only 2, or could mean 10%-20%, so it's not very specific.

I'm not attached to the term I used. Generally "third world" has long been used to refer to lower GDP countries rather than the original definition of "third world" as neutral countries during the Cold War (which has no negative or positive connotation...). Do you prefer the term "least developed countries" or "developing countries" instead? I see some places recommending to use any of those to avoid confusion with the old Cold War definition.

If you've got a better phrase for "Places where income levels and thus hotel stay costs are only ~10% of the average in the highest 100 or so countries", I'll use it instead if it ever comes up again. It's not maligning at all to recognize the attribute of massive amounts of poverty and lower GDP in some countries. It's ignorance to pretend all places have equal economies, equal standards of living, etc.

40k HH or ~$160 worth of points may be fully reasonable for whatever inconveniences they experienced. Doesn't make 10k/pts a night "surely" available at many Hilton or Doubletrees or a 4k/night at a handful of places an example of it "being worth 10 nights when they were only promised two".

Unless OP's post was based on a stay in one of those handful of properties in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio, it's unreasonable to use them as an example. Unless they were quoting premium room reward rates rather than standard room rates, it sounds like the property they stayed at has a standard room award rate of 80k/night. (the 'dynamic' rates for standard awards are marketed as purely a 'discount' to make redemptions more valuable than they would normally be). That doesn't mean OP should expect 160k points either, but the related point costs for their room when they stayed x 2 nights would be the equivalent compensation if in fact they actually were promised two night's worth of points.


The one time I complained several years ago was on a 2 night stay on night certs (80k points/night), where the property decided not to completely opt out of providing HH benefits (breakfast for Gold) despite it being specifically confirmed during reservation and shown as a benefit at their on-site restaurant (by name of their on-site restaurant) in the app. Not temporary or construction, they said they just decided they didn't want to provide the benefits to anyone, so they didn't have to. Place was in the middle of nowhere, so required wasting time/gas/$$ to go off-site. They initially offered 50k points (Worth $250 back then), which I accepted, and I would have been happy with less... I actually wasn't even looking for any compensation just to get the problem fixed so others could avoid the issues in the future. Luckily, after front desk was unhelpful, the feedback was started through HH corporate messaging and Hilton Corp followed up confirming the Hotel's accepted resolution offer. I only say luckily because the promised points never actually showed up from the scumbag property/manager, and Corp had to credit them manually 6 months later.

Last edited by B3nder; Sep 27, 19 at 5:58 pm
B3nder is offline  
Old Sep 28, 19, 2:31 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,844
Originally Posted by B3nder View Post
.. Do you prefer the term "least developed countries" or "developing countries" instead? I see some places recommending to use any of those to avoid confusion with the old Cold War definition...



We are addressing truly international travellers who stay at the hotels of a hotel chain with a worldwide network of properties. That relatively low room rates exist in some locations is inevitable: there are most definitely 5K and 10K hotels in the HH portfolio.

To dismiss these lower rates as irrelevant to a discussion where they appear in poorer countries meanders away from any cogent argument.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:25 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DTW
Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Posts: 1,144
Still, when a hotel manager suggests compensation of “enough points for 2 nights”, one would assume he/she means two nights at the going rate for this location. That there are cheaper hotels within the portfolio elsewhere in the world is irrelevant in this context.
MSPeconomist and B3nder like this.
strickerj is offline  
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Still, when a hotel manager suggests compensation of “enough points for 2 nights”, one would assume he/she means two nights at the going rate for this location. That there are cheaper hotels within the portfolio elsewhere in the world is irrelevant in this context.
Well you can assume, but assuming wastes time and my suggestion when you get a vague statement is you get clarification what they mean by dealing with solid numbers. "I am crediting you enough points for 2 nights." Wow, that sounds great. Wait a minute... nights cost 5,000 to 100,000+ points. 2 nights where? I assume here, but it wasn't said... so this is vague... unclear... slimy even. As you point out this hotel has a point variance of 30,000 to 70,000 points in the same hotel so what is it...

"I am crediting you 10,000 points, that is enough for 2 nights in some distant location not in the US."

Or rather than dealing with points just ask for a straight refund or discount applied toward the bill. These chains seem to prefer to throw points at problems that probably should just result in a straight cash discount or refund. The general perception of us here is the value of points, when used carefully, is greater than the value of a 25% discount on your stay or something along those lines. Or in the case of a business traveler, the points benefit you whereas a refund would not benefit you since you would be expensing the stay.
strickerj likes this.
storewanderer is offline  
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:56 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Originally Posted by B3nder View Post
It's a handful though, it seems like you implied there were more than a handful. I guess "some" could mean only 2, or could mean 10%-20%, so it's not very specific.

I'm not attached to the term I used. Generally "third world" has long been used to refer to lower GDP countries rather than the original definition of "third world" as neutral countries during the Cold War (which has no negative or positive connotation...). Do you prefer the term "least developed countries" or "developing countries" instead? I see some places recommending to use any of those to avoid confusion with the old Cold War definition.

If you've got a better phrase for "Places where income levels and thus hotel stay costs are only ~10% of the average in the highest 100 or so countries", I'll use it instead if it ever comes up again. It's not maligning at all to recognize the attribute of massive amounts of poverty and lower GDP in some countries. It's ignorance to pretend all places have equal economies, equal standards of living, etc..
Describe it however you want or however you understand. This is an International forum and phrases that may offend certain people in certain parts of countries do not offend many other people. People trying to sound polite and nice by not using certain phrases that may "offend" someone is a hole that never ends. You will always offend somebody.

People are too concerned with "sounding good" but we just need to get to the meat of the situation and if one person describes something in a way that someone else takes offense to, too bad. At least everyone understands what the other is saying.

Just like that hotel manager who "sounded good" offering "enough points for 2 free nights" to OP. It sure sounded good... no meat.
strickerj likes this.
storewanderer is offline  
Old Sep 28, 19, 12:08 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,844
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Still, when a hotel manager suggests compensation of “enough points for 2 nights”, one would assume he/she means two nights at the going rate for this location. That there are cheaper hotels within the portfolio elsewhere in the world is irrelevant in this context.
I reckon the manager crafted himself a handy get-out for compensation remorse

The lesson for us to take away is to tie tings up on the spot:

If compensation is to be free nights at the hotel, then the simple mechanism is through complimentary nights. An alternative, offering worldwide accommodation, is the Be My Guest certificate - though I think these come from Hilton Towers rather than hotels.
strickerj likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: