Hotel not yet open

Old Sep 22, 19, 12:18 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 1,367
Hotel not yet open

I reserved a couple months ago for a reservation in October for a new construction hotel. It turns out the hotel is delayed and will not be open at the time of my reservation. I booked this at what I would describe as a below-average rate for the given area. There are other Hilton properties available nearby, at rates 20-30% higher. Hilton has notified me the hotel will not be open in time for my reservation and has simply cancelled my reservation. They have not offered to match the rate at a nearby property or similar. Should I expect them to?
storewanderer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
Posts: 119
Not really
Catskilltraveller is online now  
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: HH D; IHG G
Posts: 971
This seems to become the new normal. If you can't make it, you cannot cancel, but if they don't make it, you are thrown out like a bum.
B3nder, Rasmus3s and MoodyB like this.
Sisosig is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:35 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 25,983
You could always contact Hilton corporate and see if they will do anything for you.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:45 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,824
I would call Hilton to see whether they have corporate arrangements. But, bottom line is that you are SOL with no room and must make a decision as to whether to book something elsewhere.

I would caution for the sake of others that this is a common issue with new properties. Unless there is some extraordinary reason, I would not book into a property which is not yet up and running.
Often1 is online now  
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan E50, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Posts: 1,540
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
I reserved a couple months ago for a reservation in October for a new construction hotel. It turns out the hotel is delayed and will not be open at the time of my reservation. I booked this at what I would describe as a below-average rate for the given area. There are other Hilton properties available nearby, at rates 20-30% higher. Hilton has notified me the hotel will not be open in time for my reservation and has simply cancelled my reservation. They have not offered to match the rate at a nearby property or similar. Should I expect them to?
Exact situation my friend found herself in last year. They didnít even tell her but I saw something in the local news so she got proactive. It was Marriott.. She was reasonable but assertive with them. They booked her into another Marriott property nearby and honoured the rate.

I would be assertive about this with Hilton. If you are HH, go to them. Iíve always found them more helpful than the individual properties. Remember, you booked in good faith.
Bartolo is online now  
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:53 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,824
What property? There may well have been others on FT who have had the same issue and had it resolved well?
Often1 is online now  
Old Sep 22, 19, 3:27 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What property? There may well have been others on FT who have had the same issue and had it resolved well?
Property is HGI Sunnyvale, CA.

Maybe that they gave me notice a number of weeks in advance and most other nearby properties have availability (albeit at higher rates) is good enough. If it was a day or two before my arrival and many surrounding properties were booked... it would be another story...

It is nice to stay in a brand new hotel but this is a definite risk...
storewanderer is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 3:30 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,500
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would call Hilton to see whether they have corporate arrangements. But, bottom line is that you are SOL with no room and must make a decision as to whether to book something elsewhere.

I would caution for the sake of others that this is a common issue with new properties. Unless there is some extraordinary reason, I would not book into a property which is not yet up and running.
It's not necessary to avoid new properties, but you should make a backup (and of course fully refundable) reservation elsewhere and watch the situation, paying attention to cancellation deadlines.
droopydog likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 4:11 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 22,428
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's not necessary to avoid new properties, but you should make a backup (and of course fully refundable) reservation elsewhere and watch the situation, paying attention to cancellation deadlines.

Bingo! this is exactly what I have done but as you so duly noted, a person must ride herd when to bail as the CX date gets close The only times I was successful in being put into another hotel was either it was an SPG problem (sadly gone now) or the owners of the hotel had other properties in the area, that were apx the same type, so no move from a Hampton to a Waldorf

As times remain good for the industry the more the answer will be SOL
craz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread