FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Do I still get 1 night stay credit & points if I cancel and pay a 1 night fee? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1987834-do-i-still-get-1-night-stay-credit-points-if-i-cancel-pay-1-night-fee.html)

FlyingHighlander Sep 18, 2019 10:34 am

Do I still get 1 night stay credit & points if I cancel and pay a 1 night fee?

I just cancelled a 1 night stay (for tonight). Hotel is charging me the full stay amount which is fine, but does it still count as a night stayed and do I get my usual points credited as if I had stayed?

The _Banking_Scot Sep 18, 2019 10:48 am

Hi.

Highly probably not unfortunately. You will generally have to physically check in to get credit.

Regards

Tbs

FlyingHighlander Sep 18, 2019 10:51 am

I suppose I'd have been better off not cancelling and just checking in on the app, and checking out on app next day. I have done this before and received stay/points credit without setting foot in the hotel.

:D! Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 31538569)
I suppose I'd have been better off not cancelling and just checking in on the app, and checking out on app next day. I have done this before and received stay/points credit without setting foot in the hotel.

Yes. But they could audit the digital key and notice that you didn't actually use it, thus not award any points or stay credit.

If people didn't need to physically check in then you could become Diamond by booking 30 less your actual stays at 5000 points (yes I know Americans have an easier way to do it) amongst other loopholes.

JJeffrey Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am

In one instance where I needed to cancel a reservation that was already prepaid/nonrefundable, I called the front desk of the hotel directly and asked if they could check me in and check me out in order get the points and stay credit. They were happy to do that. YMMV.

FlyingHighlander Sep 18, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31538783)
Yes. But they could audit the digital key and notice that you didn't actually use it, thus not award any points or stay credit.

True, but at least it would give me a chance of credits vs nothing at all by cancelling.
I essentially have zero incentive to tell the hotel I'm not going to show up

indufan Sep 18, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31538783)

If people didn't need to physically check in then you could become Diamond by booking 30 less your actual stays at 5000 points (yes I know Americans have an easier way to do it) amongst other loopholes.

I am yet to figure out why a hotel (or airline) cares.

:D! Sep 19, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 31539788)

Agree, only thing I can think of is if you no-show a points reservation they can charge you the best available rate as a penalty (at least with IHG, don't know about Hilton).

RafKa Sep 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I just had this scenario happen to me last week at a property in Asia: prepaid reservation where my plans changed. Checked in online, got points and stay credit. YMMV.

lincolnjkc Sep 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31541083)
Agree, only thing I can think of is if you no-show a points reservation they can charge you the best available rate as a penalty (at least with IHG, don't know about Hilton).

I've never done it (and hopefully never will do it) but the HH fine print implies the same for Honors:

HH Terms and Conditions #9 under "Reward Redemption" (https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...rd_redemption)

All Reward Stay reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. Some hotels may require a deposit in lieu of a credit card guarantee. Deposits cannot be waived for Reward Stay reservations. No-shows or cancellations of Reward Stay reservations outside of the timeframe set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's Best Available Rate for that date. General cancellation policy: cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties. Additional cancellation policies are established by each individual hotel and may differ from the general cancellation policy; in that case, the hotel's individual cancellation policy applies.

writerguyfl Sep 19, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 31539788)

It's a frequent guest program. The purpose of the program is to reward the people that actually stay in hotels, not just pay for rooms.

Limited service hotels with little opportunity for ancillary revenue certainly wouldn't care. In fact, they'd likely welcome the opportunity to take your money without having to pay someone to clean the room.

In contrast, many hotels count on people actually showing up because part of their profit comes from selling things like food and beverage to those people. Certainly, not everyone that stays in a hotel buys ancillary products and services. But, a no-show room provides zero chance at picking up extra revenue.

stc Sep 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 31538487)
I just cancelled a 1 night stay (for tonight). Hotel is charging me the full stay amount which is fine, but does it still count as a night stayed and do I get my usual points credited as if I had stayed?

I *NEVER* have.

stc Sep 19, 2019 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa (Post 31542804)
I just had this scenario happen to me last week at a property in Asia: prepaid reservation where my plans changed. Checked in online, got points and stay credit. YMMV.

And this is why I NEVER used prepaid reservations unless it is like half the cost. I have gotten burned a couple of times and just learned to not use them.

Often1 Sep 19, 2019 6:46 pm

At full service properties, ancillary services are much more profitable than the rooms themselves.

If Hilton wanted to, it could simply sell status for a fixed amount every year.

RafKa Sep 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 31543690)
And this is why I NEVER used prepaid reservations unless it is like half the cost. I have gotten burned a couple of times and just learned to not use them.

Yup, learnt my lesson. Although it was half the flexible rate since it was a BRG.