Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do I still get 1 night stay credit & points if I cancel and pay a 1 night fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I still get 1 night stay credit & points if I cancel and pay a 1 night fee?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
At full service properties, ancillary services are much more profitable than the rooms themselves.

If Hilton wanted to, it could simply sell status for a fixed amount every year.
They already do through the AmEx branded Cards issued in USA....
DiverDave and Duke787 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

To bring closure to this - no, I did not get any stay credit/points after cancelling and paying the full rate I'd booked.

The take away here for me is - if I have a 1 night stay that I need to cancel after the deadline has passed then theres no benefit in cancelling it.
I may as well check in and out on the app. At least then there is still a chance of getting stay credit/points. Should the hotel withhold that, then I'm no worse off than had I simply cancelled the reservation.
DiverDave and RafKa like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by indufan
I am yet to figure out why a hotel (or airline) cares.

The hotel may not care because elite benefit is from coporate.

The corporate cares whether an elite is a real or a fake one.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by freed0m
The hotel may not care because elite benefit is from coporate.

The corporate cares whether an elite is a real or a fake one.
Arguably the hotel would care more because the hard costs/lost profit opportunity of delivering benefits (e.g. free breakfast, wifi, etc.) come out of their profit margin while corporate has an interest in higher numbers of Elites/active members to push the value of their brand to investors and potential franchisees. If "real" or "fake" were a meaningful corporate distinction it wouldn't be nearly as easy to get status without setting foot in a Hilton hotel (CC membership, status 'matches' that grant a higher than held status, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.