Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points breaks for longer stays - normal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at Hilton Garden Inn for 1 or 4 nights, and if I do all 4 nights, it's 26,000 points/night, but if I do 1 night, no matter which of the 4 nights it is, it's 36,000-40,000 points/night.

Is that normal for Hilton HHonors redemptions?

If not, does anyone think there's any way I could, say, book the 4 nights and then ... call ... someone ... and negotiate a 26,000 point/night single stay on the first night?

(I took too long booking a hotel I actually wanted which is now available only for the last 3 nights of my trip to town.)
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
As the price you get is not constant, you are looking at prices that are not the standard redemption but the dynamic kind. Those are tied to the price in $ of the room.

If you can replicate the behavior by paying the room with $ then it is an expected behavior. Multi day stays can be cheaper than buying each day in advance (and could be more expensive - always check all permutations).
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kitkatft
I'm looking at Hilton Garden Inn for 1 or 4 nights, and if I do all 4 nights, it's 26,000 points/night, but if I do 1 night, no matter which of the 4 nights it is, it's 36,000-40,000 points/night.

Is that normal for Hilton HHonors redemptions?

If not, does anyone think there's any way I could, say, book the 4 nights and then ... call ... someone ... and negotiate a 26,000 point/night single stay on the first night?

(I took too long booking a hotel I actually wanted which is now available only for the last 3 nights of my trip to town.)
You should always be able to drill down to the price (in points) per night. It's likely that the first night is a "peak" night for the hotels, while the last 3 nights are "off-peak". For example, a hotel that I frequent often charges 35K points on weeknights but only charges 22K on most weekend nights. If you are a HHonrs elite member, the 5th night on points is free.
kitkatft likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by kitkatft
As I understand it, the hotel controls their own inventory but all point reservations are managed by Hilton Central Reservations. To have the above happen, you'd need to get someone at the hotel to call Central Reservations and speak to someone there with the authority to override the restrictions on your reservation.

Given that there really no financial incentive for the hotel to do that, I'd surmise that very few hotels would agree to do that sort of thing. Revenue management is largely automated. it seems the software thinks it can get 36,000 to 40,000 for that night. Hotel managers are taught to trust the software. Absent a very good reason, they won't override the software.

As a former hotel Revenue Manager, I can only reasons think of two reasons why a hotel would do this. First, if you are a very frequent guest of that hotel. By very I mean you stay there 50+ nights annually. The second reason would be if you are in charge of a local corporate account that sends the hotel hundreds of room nights annually.
kitkatft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.