Pre-Arrival E-mail - do you respond?

Old Sep 11, 19, 9:47 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Pre-Arrival E-mail - do you respond?

Does anyone bother responding to those canned pre-arrival e-mails that come from the assoc/general manager of the hotel?
Sometimes they ask for arrival time -- honestly, I don't know and this information could change at the last minute so why bother?
Part of me assumes that a response on arrival time will result in someone modifying the reservation and screwing things up.

Any positive outcomes to report here? Or negative outcomes for the non-responders?
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:18 am

From my point of view most hotels use that for cross selling (limousine transfer, dinner package etc.). If you are interested in those services, it's a good idea to answer. Otherwise it depends on the hotel. Well managed hotels will use the information in a useful way, poorly managed hotels will screw something up.

Personally I answer those emails only if they come from hotels, which are well managed from my personal experience.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:10 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I only respond if there is something I need from the hotel, for example once I wanted to store my luggage 2 days before my check-in date and the hotel didn't advertise any email address, but when I got the pre-arrival email I decided to reply to that.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:30 pm

If it comes from a real human (not a mailbox), or at least appears to some from one, and if it's a property that I care about, I'll sometimes briefly respond and note that I'm excited for my stay and would appreciate any delivery of Diamond benefits which they could accommodate. I don't know if it's ever helped with an upgrade but I figure it doesn't hurt.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
When there is something the hotel can do, yes, I have responded, and the hotel has come through. That is maybe 25% of the time. The other times, no.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I only respond if there is something I need from the hotel, for example once I wanted to store my luggage 2 days before my check-in date and the hotel didn't advertise any email address, but when I got the pre-arrival email I decided to reply to that.
+1 and it has always worked, maybe due to an employee name being tagged onto it. Its alot better then simply sending an email to the genenic msilbox
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Have been asked to pre select room from floor plan displayed. After selecting room, receive confirmation. Upon arrival, told they do no honor request. Room selected already assigned to another. Given room available when checking in. Not worth the effort.
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:39 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
Have been asked to pre select room from floor plan displayed. After selecting room, receive confirmation. Upon arrival, told they do no honor request. Room selected already assigned to another. Given room available when checking in. Not worth the effort.
Name the property and report this poor experience on the individual thread then.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:30 pm

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Plt AA, DIA HHONORS, Hertz PC
I only respond if I truly need something. Like the family is coming for a dance competition or something like that and I’m truly looking for a bigger room. Or some property that I have to ask for a room fridge.

I’m also seeing these as text messages from more
Properties

Search this Thread