Hilton Gift Cards

Old Sep 7, 19, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Hilton Gift Cards

I am considering buying some Hilton Gift Cards and would like to know
  1. How are they shipped (regular US mail) or something more secure?
  2. Is there a shipping fee?
  3. When used with Hilton properties overseas, do they use some lousy exchange rate?
  4. Any pitfalls that I should be aware of?
Thanks for the information
Old Sep 7, 19, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of people have posted their purchase and redemption experiences in this thread:
Hilton gift card from Amex: for all HH family brands?

Iirc, my arrived promptly by mail and I had no issues redeeming at a US Hilton.
Also see:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1888247-using-50-hilton-gift-cards-outside-us.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1960515-can-hilton-gift-card-used-pay-room-check-out.html
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jerry for the helpful response. I should have specified that I was referring to current gift card purchases directly from Hilton, rather than last years Amex promo. Are these current cards and their redemption any different from last years Amex Hilton gift cards?
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current gift cards appear to be the same gift cards (Amex based) offered by the same company on behalf of hilton.
Old Sep 8, 19, 7:57 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
I have purchased gift cards in the past during a promo and it is amazing that at some hotels they have no clue how to use it. I had one hotel say "can you come back tomorrow morning when the manager is here". Another hotel just reduced the hotel stay by the amount of the card (thus reducing the amount of points I received). Of course, some times there are no issues whatsoever. I just think gift cards are not very common so some hotel staff aren't sure how to use them.
Old Sep 8, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by shmom View Post
I have purchased gift cards in the past during a promo and it is amazing that at some hotels they have no clue how to use it. I had one hotel say "can you come back tomorrow morning when the manager is here". Another hotel just reduced the hotel stay by the amount of the card (thus reducing the amount of points I received). Of course, some times there are no issues whatsoever. I just think gift cards are not very common so some hotel staff aren't sure how to use them.
Yeah, I wouldn't bother using a Hilton gift card unless I was getting some sort of deal and I wouldn't give one either. One hotel in Providence, Rhode Island told me they would "figure it out" after I checked out.

Search this Thread