What value is Hilton Gold?

Old Sep 6, 19, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, BAEC
What value is Hilton Gold?

I'm IHG Platinum through a credit card, and last year I did the status match challenge before an expensive trip to NYC to get boosted to Diamond.

Only stayed in two Hilton properties in that time, in neither one did I get an upgrade, only one had an exec lounge, and in NYC I had to fight to get the free breakfast as they hadn't updated my status on their system. So I didn't really feel the benefit of Diamond, especially as the only place with an Exec lounge didn't let kids in between 6pm and 8pm and I was travelling with a 9 year old, just the two of us.

Consequently, I didn't do enough stays to stay Diamond and have gone down to Silver. I was never going to manage 10 revenue stays! Although I have got lots of lovely points which I'm trying to decide whether to use, or to save up for an exciting reward with the wife.

I am a sportsman, though, and I've just stumbled across the MVP challenge https://www.hiltonhonors.com/en_US/H...tgold/landing/ which will give me Gold after 4 stays in 90 days. I have need for 4 hotel stays in 90 days too, so I'm tempted.

I have two Hilton stays already booked as part of my normal every day activity, and need to make a third one, and as it's a 50/50 ball between a Holiday Inn and a Doubletree, I'm happy to look at the Doubletree as it's equally convenient and the price is similar.

So that leaves me with one stay needed, and I'm having to manufacture a stay. Now, I'm not sure it's worth a mattress run for Gold at potentially 60 or 80 quid for a pointless stay away, but I've persuaded the wife that we need to visit a museum for the boy's school project that requires a stay away. There are plenty of hotels in the area, including Holiday Inn and others that will earn me Hotels.com points, but I'm toying with the idea of putting us in a Hilton to get the fourth stay and get me Gold until 2021. Problem is the Hilton is 25 miles away and there's no pool, which we usually like. It is, however, cheaper.

I'm trying to decide what the value is to me, who might stay 2 or 3 times a year in a Hilton, and who is basically collecting points, of Gold. Are upgrades as rare as hen's teeth? Are there freebies to be had? Will it be worth it in the long term?

I know that only I can make these decisions, but I'd be interested to hear other peoples' opinions on the value of Hilton Gold.
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeeGee26.2 View Post
I'm IHG Platinum through a credit card, and last year I did the status match challenge before an expensive trip to NYC to get boosted to Diamond.

Only stayed in two Hilton properties in that time, in neither one did I get an upgrade, only one had an exec lounge, and in NYC I had to fight to get the free breakfast as they hadn't updated my status on their system. So I didn't really feel the benefit of Diamond, especially as the only place with an Exec lounge didn't let kids in between 6pm and 8pm and I was travelling with a 9 year old, just the two of us.

Consequently, I didn't do enough stays to stay Diamond and have gone down to Silver. I was never going to manage 10 revenue stays! Although I have got lots of lovely points which I'm trying to decide whether to use, or to save up for an exciting reward with the wife.

I am a sportsman, though, and I've just stumbled across the MVP challenge https://www.hiltonhonors.com/en_US/H...tgold/landing/ which will give me Gold after 4 stays in 90 days. I have need for 4 hotel stays in 90 days too, so I'm tempted.

I have two Hilton stays already booked as part of my normal every day activity, and need to make a third one, and as it's a 50/50 ball between a Holiday Inn and a Doubletree, I'm happy to look at the Doubletree as it's equally convenient and the price is similar.

So that leaves me with one stay needed, and I'm having to manufacture a stay. Now, I'm not sure it's worth a mattress run for Gold at potentially 60 or 80 quid for a pointless stay away, but I've persuaded the wife that we need to visit a museum for the boy's school project that requires a stay away. There are plenty of hotels in the area, including Holiday Inn and others that will earn me Hotels.com points, but I'm toying with the idea of putting us in a Hilton to get the fourth stay and get me Gold until 2021. Problem is the Hilton is 25 miles away and there's no pool, which we usually like. It is, however, cheaper.

I'm trying to decide what the value is to me, who might stay 2 or 3 times a year in a Hilton, and who is basically collecting points, of Gold. Are upgrades as rare as hen's teeth? Are there freebies to be had? Will it be worth it in the long term?

I know that only I can make these decisions, but I'd be interested to hear other peoples' opinions on the value of Hilton Gold.
Gold isnít bad, but is available in the US through some of their credit cards.

I find that some parts of Europe and much of Asia upgrade Gold and Diamond members regularly. The US, not so much. Not sure about the UK.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

The main benefit of gold is the free breakfast and the chance of an upgrade to the executive lounge floorsubject to availability. As well as extra points

Properties in Asia have generally been good about upgrades and later check outs if available and reasonable upgrades in the uk

Regards

Tbs
RooseveltL and :D! like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi.

The main benefit of gold is the free breakfast
[...]

Is the free breakfast for everyone? Say, a family of four staying in two rooms?
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post

Gold isnít bad, but is available in the US through some of their credit cards.

I find that some parts of Europe and much of Asia upgrade Gold and Diamond members regularly. The US, not so much. Not sure about the UK.
I suspect that might be the case in a market where status is ubiquitous via credit cards. The UK doesn't have a credit card that gives Hilton Gold status, so if we're not ten-a-penny then there's a bit more of a chance, I suppose.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:01 am
cjd

[...]

Is the free breakfast for everyone? Say, a family of four staying in two rooms?
Officially, the free breakfast is for the member and one other guest staying in the same room. However in the UK, in my experience as a Diamond member, I have never yet been refused full breakfast being granted to guests in the second room. Just a week ago, at Hilton Wembley, five of us in two room got breakfasts for a 4 night stay.
B3nder likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:42 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond, Mileage Plan member, HHonors Gold
I have retained Gold regularly for last 5-6 years by taking advantage of HH's regular fast tracks to Gold with 4 stays in 90 days.

I stay mainly in Europe, Africa and Asia.

In Africa and Asia Gold is great.

In Namibia, I even once got upgraded from a regular, non exec, room to Diplomatic suite at Hilton Windhoek for a five night paid stay. I was also upgraded in Joburg, Cape Town and Windhoek again from base room to Exec room.

In Asia, I have been upgraded every time in Conrads in Bangkok and Hong Kong as well as upgrades at Hilton Sukhumvit and Millennium Hilton in Bangkok.

In Europe, things are not so good though. I was upgraded once or twice at Hilton T5 but I do not recall any others and I have stayed at nearly every Hilton in London.

So if your future travels take you to Asia or Africa I would say is well worth it. In Europe I don't see the value. In America, I imagine the value is even less.
Old Sep 6, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Officially, the free breakfast is for the member and one other guest staying in the same room. However in the UK, in my experience as a Diamond member, I have never yet been refused full breakfast being granted to guests in the second room. Just a week ago, at Hilton Wembley, five of us in two room got breakfasts for a 4 night stay.
We've never had anything other than an automatic free breakfast (full, sit-down, full menu) for us, and for kids/grands in the connecting room. (We've occasionally found a proper suite, but these are not fancy Hiltons, so those are pretty rare.)

But IF I transfer my points away, do I retain Gold? Those points aren't worth that much when transferred, so I haven't done it.

Thanks.

GC
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
The value is the breakfast and bonus points (6 more per dollar). If you are staying 3 times in the year that you are gold at a cost of $100 per stay, you'll earn an extra 1800 points, worth maybe $6. Then add the values of the breakfast, let's say at $15 per person. With 2 people on each of those three stays, that's $90. So I would say that it is not worth it in your case.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:06 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
The value is the breakfast and bonus points (6 more per dollar). If you are staying 3 times in the year that you are gold at a cost of $100 per stay, you'll earn an extra 1800 points, worth maybe $6. Then add the values of the breakfast, let's say at $15 per person. With 2 people on each of those three stays, that's $90. So I would say that it is not worth it in your case.
You are forgetting the other great amenities. I can't say what they are and don't feel like reading but I just checked the Hilton App and when I look up benefits I see 12 little circles listed for gold and 9 little circles listed for silver. I guess 1 of those little circles is the breakfast and 1 is the "space available room upgrade" (you can get this in the US sometimes on one night stays or at friendly Hamptons with few Golds around they may upgrade you to a suite despite that upgrade is not a stated benefit at Hampton brand). So not sure what the other benefit is.
Old Sep 7, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I suspect that might be the case in a market where status is ubiquitous via credit cards. The UK doesn't have a credit card that gives Hilton Gold status, so if we're not ten-a-penny then there's a bit more of a chance, I suppose.
Amex Platinum in the UK gives Gold status, although technically that's a charge card rather than a credit card so you have an out
Old Sep 7, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Hilton Gold is definitely worth having. The free breakfast is a great perk. I normally have managed to get Executive Suite access.

In the USA, upgrades are hard to come by because Hilton Gold are ten a penny.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Having spent time as diamond and gold...

I get treated better as a gold in Asia than I did as a Diamond in the US. The ten-a-penny phenomenon seems to be real.
Old Sep 8, 19, 6:26 am

Programs: QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum (VA lounge access)
Gold status is generally pretty valuable in Asia/Pacific. Think room upgrades and all the extravagant breakfast buffets (sometimes can easily substitute lunch) as part of your benefit.
Old Sep 8, 19, 11:05 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
With the search function not being as helpful as it could be

With a search function not being as helpful as it could be we’re not penalizing people who don’t do a search first. So please refrain from the snarky comments about all the other threads that exist. This person has specific questions and in any case we wouldn’t have merged this with another thread until it had been freestanding for a day or two anyway. Thanks for your cooperation.

Squeakr
co mod HH

Search this Thread