Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

3x Promo, paying with wife’s CC who gets the points?

Old Sep 4, 19, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

so trying to maximize the upcoming HH 3x points promo on future work travel. I have the Hilton biz card that earns 12x points, my wife has the ascend card that earns 14x points. We are both Diamond members. If I book my stays, and pay with her higher earning card, how are the points distributed between our 2 HH accounts? Do I get the stay points and she gets the Points from CC use?
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
deleted
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by xychromosome View Post
so trying to maximize the upcoming HH 3x points promo on future work travel. I have the Hilton biz card that earns 12x points, my wife has the ascend card that earns 14x points. We are both Diamond members. If I book my stays, and pay with her higher earning card, how are the points distributed between our 2 HH accounts? Do I get the stay points and she gets the Points from CC use?
Yes, but I suggest she make you an authorized user on her card in case they want to see the actual plastic with your name on it at check-in.
Old Sep 5, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by xychromosome View Post
I assume you mean the Aspire card earns 14x points? The Ascend/Surpass earns 12x.
Old Sep 5, 19, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
I assume you mean the Aspire card earns 14x points? The Ascend/Surpass earns 12x.
yes, that is correct, I got the cards mixed up. She has the higher points return card which is why I would like to use that to max out earning potential
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:25 pm

Programs: Status? What's status?
I would venture that your guess in the original post is correct. You would get the points earned as a diamond for the actual stay itself, including the bonus points for the promotion. Your wife will get the 14 points per dollar to her account for the credit card spend.
Old Sep 5, 19, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does Hilton not require the HHonors program participant to STAY AND PAY in order to get points, night credits, or elite benefits? This is a requirement for other hotel programs.
Old Sep 5, 19, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Does Hilton not require the HHonors program participant to STAY AND PAY in order to get points, night credits, or elite benefits? This is a requirement for other hotel programs.
In my past experience, this holds true. I have had a couple situations with my wife where she paid and Hilton would not credit my account with the points since the name on the credit card did not match the name on my Hilton account.
Old Sep 5, 19, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Were you specifically an authorized user on her card, or did she prepay herself in advance?
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by divrdrew View Post
In my past experience, this holds true. I have had a couple situations with my wife where she paid and Hilton would not credit my account with the points since the name on the credit card did not match the name on my Hilton account.
Were you not credited any points for the stay at all? That would be strange - I often use my husband's credit card to pay for the stays and I always get the points (base points, my way points + Diamond bonus). Or do you mean you did not get some special promotional points (like in the current promotion when you get triple points when paying with AmEx)?
Old Sep 6, 19, 6:30 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
But what if the person paying (the partner) is also staying with the man that booked? Surely it a 'official' rule but not really enforced? Or is it?
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
Were you not credited any points for the stay at all? That would be strange - I often use my husband's credit card to pay for the stays and I always get the points (base points, my way points + Diamond bonus). Or do you mean you did not get some special promotional points (like in the current promotion when you get triple points when paying with AmEx)?
Well, you're a very lucky wife to be able to use your husbands card all the time .

Regarding this upcoming promo. No one knows how it will work. With the UK Barclaycard, the 4 x 2,500 bonus was loaded into my HHonors account and the bonus would trigger when I used any VISA card. I have a feeling the bonus will only work when the HHonors account is "linked" to the payment card because the extra bonus points are deposited into the HHonors account and not onto the payment card points balance. I'll be a bit surprised if Hilton's systems capture the card number and provide the 3x bonus based on reading that is a HHonors credit card even for HHonors accounts where there is NO HHonors credit card linked.
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Well, you're a very lucky wife husband to be able to use your husbands card all the time .

I am lucky.

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Regarding this upcoming promo. No one knows how it will work. With the UK Barclaycard, the 4 x 2,500 bonus was loaded into my HHonors account and the bonus would trigger when I used any VISA card. I have a feeling the bonus will only work when the HHonors account is "linked" to the payment card because the extra bonus points are deposited into the HHonors account and not onto the payment card points balance. I'll be a bit surprised if Hilton's systems capture the card number and provide the 3x bonus based on reading that is a HHonors credit card even for HHonors accounts where there is NO HHonors credit card linked.
That's the thing that I am trying to figure out. When I pay with his card I always get the standard points, and I don't think hotels care or track who pays for the stay. I can understand that points may not be credited within this promotion. I have a co-branded AmEx card, but as an additional card holder. So, obviously when I use that card my husband gets the points from AmEx to his Honors account. And I can understand if I don't get the triple points if I pay with my card because I am not the principal account holder (although AmEx recently told me that I also have an account with them even though it is an additional card). I have a stay soon so I will see what happens. I am pretty sure that I won't trigger promotional points if I pay with his card. But I was surprised that divrdrew did not get any points when the wife paid with her card - I never had any issues. In fact, I remember only one instant when the hotel even asked whose card it was as it did not have my name on it. I think at least all the standard points associated with the stay should be credited.
Old Sep 7, 19, 2:22 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I haven't shown an actual card to a Hilton property in a while. How would they even know whose name the card is in? Amex certainly doesn't care as when buying stuff online you can type whatever name you like. I have a bank card in the name of my toy dog (well the bank should really have checked before producing it but they didn't) and I use it for hotels without any issues.
Old Sep 8, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's club
What 3x promo. Please share details

Search this Thread