Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Leaving a Hampton 5-night stay early (points)

Old Sep 4, 19, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver

The scenario is as follows:
  • Reservation is from Mon to Sat
  • Booked entirely with points (so 5 nights for the price of 4)
  • Might check out at 10am Fri, or
  • Might check out at 2pm Fri
Would I get a 5 night stay credit?
Is there a penalty for leaving early?
There's not really a question of them returning my 5th night points, as the 5th night is free.

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 19, 6:15 am

Personally, I would not formally check out. Just leave the keys in the room and go.
b00mer89 and missamo80 like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
What I would do in that situation is just leave on Friday afternoon and then on Saturday morning, call the hotel and say you left earlier in the morning and forgot to check out. Nowadays a lot of hotels have that checkout feature on the app so I do it there.
Wanderlust888 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
OT: Hilton gives stay credit for reward nights? I had no idea.
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I like the idea of just leaving without checking out.

However the hotel I am thinking of has a full-time security guard between the elevator and the exit, and would probably notice someone with a big suitcase going directly from elevator to door without talking to reception..
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888 View Post
However the hotel I am thinking of has a full-time security guard between the elevator and the exit, and would probably notice someone with a big suitcase going directly from elevator to door without talking to reception..
This shouldn't be an issue. I have left after the 4th night of a 5 night stay, and even had to call the valet to get my car. They never questioned me.
MissJ and Wanderlust888 like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:13 am

I don't see how that is an issue. He has no idea if you are just loading up a bag ahead of time or what... not really his business.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:34 am

However the
I must be crazy, I thought Hilton corporate policy is you never have to go to the desk to check out. Didn't they also used to print out the folio and stick it under the door on the last night for any Hilton Honors level before they became too cheap to print and deliver them (and it clearly indicated no check-out necessary on the printed folios?).
It seems to only make sense they assume you check out as scheduled unless you inform them otherwise, especially if it's not your first stay ever at a hotel (HH member).
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold

So? Iím not sure why you would be concerned. The security guard probably sees people taking big suitcases in and out the door all the time.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post

So? Iím not sure why you would be concerned. The security guard probably sees people taking big suitcases in and out the door all the time.
I could see LV area being an odd counterexample where they may now track closely what you describe.
Old Sep 4, 19, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post

I just thought I might be asked whether I was checking out, and the reception staff are close enough to hear such a conversation.
Old Sep 4, 19, 11:18 am

I just thought I might be asked whether I was checking out, and the reception staff are close enough to hear such a conversation.
Why do you feel compelled to answer questions you don't have to answer. I would put up the DND sign and just leave.

I would just say "I'm good thanks!" and keep walking. You're way over thinking this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Seabourn DE
When in similar situation, the big luggage was carried out prior to my last act.
Old Sep 4, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Just say - "Not yet!"
Wanderlust888 and B3nder like this.
Old Sep 4, 19, 2:49 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AS MVP, AA Plat, DL Gold, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't see this being an issue at all.

I do things like this all the time. I am supposed to leave the client sight on a particular day, but because things don't always go perfectly there might be a chance I am extending. So, rather then worry about where I will stay that night I just take all my stuff out of the room walk past the front desk/who ever load up my rental car and head to the job site. Occasionally, I roll back in that night with all my stuff in tow going right past the desk and back to my room.

Other times, I just get email receipt thanking me for my stay at some point the day after.

The people working in these types of hotels are hourly workers that are not worried one bit about what the guests are doing they just want to get through their shifts and move on with life.
Wanderlust888 and glennhaak like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: