Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Redemption stay for family, but not myself

Old Sep 2, 19, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Dear forum,

Quick question. If I booked a redemption stay for my family only, but I can't make it due to business trip, would the property let them in? I can add my wife's name on the reservation would that be enough? Would they still demand my credit card as collateral even if the number is still on file?

Thanks in advance

CD
Old Sep 2, 19, 5:06 am
cjd

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 View Post
Dear forum,

Quick question. If I booked a redemption stay for my family only, but I can't make it due to business trip, would the property let them in? I can add my wife's name on the reservation would that be enough? Would they still demand my credit card as collateral even if the number is still on file?

Thanks in advance

CD
You can actually book an Award stay in your wife's name by ringing Hilton Honors and that solves the problem of you not being present. Done that many times. However, many here on this site often state that they do as you suggest and simply add their wife's name on the reservation and have no problem. Never tried that method myself as the rules state that the name of the person on the reservation must be present.

Here's the actual rule from the T & C's:
The Reward may be issued to the Hilton Honors Member, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, the Reward is not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the Reward. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied.
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by cjd; Sep 2, 19 at 5:16 am
Old Sep 2, 19, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP 1- its hit and miss if they will get any of the benefits that you would get had you been there, some hotels will allow anyone else named on the res to check-in but wont extend any status benefits till the member themselves shows up, others will give it to them as if they were the member

2- from what I experienced if the CC person isnt present then without having made other arrangements prior with the hotel, card on file will be as if there wasnt any and the person checking in will have to give a CC that has their name on it (which be the same CC if teh person is an AU on it)
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:02 am
Original Poster

thanks guys
Old Sep 2, 19, 3:18 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by craz View Post
some hotels will allow anyone else named on the res to check-in but wont extend any status benefits till the member themselves shows up
I've never had that happen in the several times that I (Diamond) had booked for my wife with her name added to the reservation.
Does this happen often or only rarely, and do you think this is dependent on the property or the individual staff?
Old Sep 2, 19, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
I've never had that happen in the several times that I (Diamond) had booked for my wife with her name added to the reservation.
Does this happen often or only rarely, and do you think this is dependent on the property or the individual staff?
Its happened a few times at different Hotels, hard to say what caused it the csr or hotel policy. They did occur at Resorts (HHV , Grand Wailea) and other top notch hotels could be a reg local DT which isnt gonna be giving much anyways doesnt press the issue. Asia in general was a problem as was some European major citys

Sometimes they UPed the room nothing great and told those checking in make sure that when the Diamond member arrives to come to the FD so that we can take care of lounge assess, or breakfast etc etc. other times the people were told they could wait for the member to arrive or take a reg room now and if tomorrow or if you said later that night when the member comes if theres an Upgrade available you can switch rooms and if the member isnt here before breakfast then if you want breakfast its on your dime

Its definitely IMO a YMMV and no way to know how things be till you get there, as for a CC, best is if you trust the person and know ahead of time if its $0 just get them put on as an AU so in the end the member still gets all the pts since its their acct being charged even if its a different CC #.

the hotels over time got smart and realized something doesnt smell right when a Ms O;Shea is checking in and the members name is Collins, yes nowadays its more common for a spouse to go under another last name, but all too often its a no ta spouse that is stayting but friends , relatives etc where the member is trying to score the stay credit and pts and the person staying is just interested in getting the benefits w/o having to pay for them
Old Sep 2, 19, 4:48 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Originally Posted by craz View Post
Its happened a few times at different Hotels, hard to say what caused it the csr or hotel policy. They did occur at Resorts (HHV , Grand Wailea) and other top notch hotels could be a reg local DT which isnt gonna be giving much anyways doesnt press the issue. Asia in general was a problem as was some European major citys

Sometimes they UPed the room nothing great and told those checking in make sure that when the Diamond member arrives to come to the FD so that we can take care of lounge assess, or breakfast etc etc. other times the people were told they could wait for the member to arrive or take a reg room now and if tomorrow or if you said later that night when the member comes if theres an Upgrade available you can switch rooms and if the member isnt here before breakfast then if you want breakfast its on your dime

Its definitely IMO a YMMV and no way to know how things be till you get there, as for a CC, best is if you trust the person and know ahead of time if its $0 just get them put on as an AU so in the end the member still gets all the pts since its their acct being charged even if its a different CC #.

the hotels over time got smart and realized something doesnt smell right when a Ms O;Shea is checking in and the members name is Collins, yes nowadays its more common for a spouse to go under another last name, but all too often its a no ta spouse that is stayting but friends , relatives etc where the member is trying to score the stay credit and pts and the person staying is just interested in getting the benefits w/o having to pay for them
Okay thanks. Good to keep in mind, as I hadn't even considered the possibility of this being a problem since we haven't had issues yet. Mind you my wife is Gold (not sure if that makes any difference) and she holds the same card that I put the booking under.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:17 am

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Plt AA, DIA HHONORS, Hertz PC
I routinely do this for my wife/daughter traveling to dance convention/competitions. I normally put her as the additional named when I make the reservation. With most US properties, I also usually just do the online check in from the app. Then she just goes to the front desk with her ID and asks for a room key. I haven't had any issues to date.

Even if I don't do the online, she just goes and says shes arriving well before me. Since her name is on the reservation, no issues.

Search this Thread