Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton staff with HHonors status compete upgrades with us

Old Aug 23, 19, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA

So I found out that Hilton staff have their own Hilton Honours program. They get stay credits even on staff rates and get recognised as Gold or Diamond members too. I donít mind or care if they have this privilege. But I do mind when they can compete with full fare paying guests when getting upgrades.

i was a little peeved when I was staying at a property recently and when I checked in was told that no more suites are available. But a friend I know whoís a Hilton employee had a suite reserved for him tell me that itís also because hotels can not differentiate between members and employees until check in, after the room is assigned.

Donít think Hilton employees should get privileges over guests. What do you think?
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
So I found out that Hilton staff have their own Hilton Honours program. They get stay credits even on staff rates and get recognised as Gold or Diamond members too. I donít mind or care if they have this privilege. But I do mind when they can compete with full fare paying guests when getting upgrades.

i was a little peeved when I was staying at a property recently and when I checked in was told that no more suites are available. But a friend I know whoís a Hilton employee had a suite reserved for him tell me that itís also because hotels can not differentiate between members and employees until check in, after the room is assigned.

Donít think Hilton employees should get privileges over guests. What do you think?
All the staff I know work pretty hard, and I wouldn't begrudge them an upgrade. If they have the same night thresholds, then it seems they earned it. I often use points or corp rates that may lower than average, and regularly get upgrades.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:23 am
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
hotels can not differentiate between members and employees until check in, after the room is assigned.
If this is true then I have no problem with it, as the hotel would be treating a staff Diamond the same as a non-staff Diamond.

I also don't really have an issue with Hilton giving staff status (especially if the way to earn it is the same). Are staff in the US eligible to be credit card Diamonds?

Actually I wish more Hilton staff would go travelling and stay in other Hiltons, as this would open their eyes as to how different properties around the world do things, and help to improve the service they provide when they return to their job.
Sisosig, FoRM, MoodyB and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Maybe it's because I spend as many nights as possible at international Hyatts (where I'm treated well and/or have already confirmed my suite upgrade), but I really just don't get the whole "somebody stole my suite upgrade" thing. Especially at Hilton where we know anybody can become a Diamond member, either through the credit card or decent photoshop skills...
Old Aug 24, 19, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
... I wish more Hilton staff would go travelling and stay in other Hiltons, as this would open their eyes as to how different properties around the world do things, and help to improve the service they provide when they return to their job.
It would be nice if key staff were encouraged to stay at other hotels brands, just to compare facilities and see how well (or not so well) these handle things. They might get some ideas.

I'm mildly surprised when I find Hilton managers with little idea of how well, or how badly, their direct competitors perform.
:D! and BearX220 like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:18 am

There is no staff Hilton HHonors program. It's the same one as everyone else.

Staff have a chance to get Gold on four stays as a fast track. Diamond is the normal way.

Staff rates earn points and credit and for the lowest team prices the points are funded by corporate. For friends rates, they're billed to the hotel as usual.

All this is info is on the public FAQ.

It's a nonsense that hotels can't discriminate between staff and regular guests because they discriminate between regular guests all the time! . Credit card Diamonds, Diamonds who have never stayed at the property before vs regulars. Ideally the ranking of Diamond members should be using the same criteria as always; OnQ points value, best guest, specific VIP etc.

Because of this criteria its possible that a staff member has a higher rating than a regular guest like you.
sebseb, yurtripper, :D! and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:25 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
I don't know. A lot of businesses give preferential treatment to their own employees or those in the same industry, especially in hospitality. It's a nice corporate practice that should, all else equal, increase their employees' quality, productivity, and morale. If it motivates employees and instills professional pride, I am for it, even if it occasionally comes at the cost of competition with non-employee customers at the margin. It's good for society and, in theory, improves the quality of service that benefits all customers eventually.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:28 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I lost 1A to the pilots union many years ago
fotographer and :D! like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
We'll live.

Given what many of the rank and file staff get paid, I doubt that hordes will be racking up the stays/nights needed for Diamond on top of keeping the bills paid.
Cat88L3, writerguyfl and bkafrick like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does your employer give you privileges that normal customers don't get?
bkafrick, Cat88L3 and Schwann like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
why do some people get so bent out of shape
Being a Diamond member myself, I just want a nice clean room and bed. What do I need a suite for?
When my wife and I travel, we usually get some sort of upgrade, but if we dont, its not a big deal

Maybe I am in the minority with the upgrade suite thing, but if Hilton want to give their employees perks, let me be
By the way, its the same with the airlines, giving their employees travel perks
Dan72, FoRM, EdofFX and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
Being a Diamond member myself, I just want a nice clean room and bed. What do I need a suite for?

...Maybe I am in the minority with the upgrade suite thing, but if Hilton want to give their employees perks, let me be
By the way, its the same with the airlines, giving their employees travel perks
It's not exactly the same with airline non-revs -- at least it's not meant to be. Nonrevs always travel space-available / standby, and they only get access to premium seats after all revenue customers are satisfied, and all those with desire and means to upgrade are accommodated. When airline employees or their friends are taken care of at the apparent expense of regular paying passengers (see "ShenAAnigans" or "UA Employee Class") there is ultimately hell to pay.

That's not exactly what's being discussed here. I don't care much about suite upgrades either, unless I am on the road with my wife and we are trying to have a nice holiday. But where such exists, they should not be consumed by Hilton's own employees while paying guests subsist on what's left.
strickerj, MSPeconomist and :D! like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I have a friend who works for Marriott Corporate, and she's told me that they are not allowed to participate in the Bonvoy status program. I've always thought that was very short sighted on Marriott's part-- their employees have no particular incentive to stay at Marriott properties (other than the employee rate, when available) and have little to no idea about the loyalty program and its benefit (or lack thereof). I'm very glad to hear that Hilton lets employees participate, and that the terms of their participation are the same as for non-employees; I'd suspect that their employees who do travel probably have a better appreciation of what it takes to become a HHonors elite member, and of the value of the various benefits thereof than do employees at Marriott.
:D! and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 12:53 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I think it is fine that employees are able to participate in the program and gain status. They are customers too on their time off and being in the hospitality industry is not the easiest job, but if they are traveling in their off time and travel enough to get status then I think they fully deserve that status no different from a regular customer/credit card user who pays $89 a year/person who goes to MVP site and does 4 stays to get Gold. Using the logic of some here, those on corporate rates should not get status benefits either because they are not "paying full fare." An employee discount is no different from an AAA discount, a corporate discount, or using the MVP Code. It is a discount. Sure, all of those discounts have varying percentages, but they are all discounts off of "full fare."

I don't really care how Marriott does it; it is their business and if they don't allow employees to participate in their laughable "Bonvoy" program, it is probably because they are embarrassed about how screwed up their program is.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
But where such exists, they should not be consumed by Hilton's own employees while paying guests subsist on what's left.
Except the employees are also paid guests.
Sisosig, Yllanes, Amelorn and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread