Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton staff with HHonors status compete upgrades with us

Hilton staff with HHonors status compete upgrades with us

Old Aug 24, 19, 1:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by whimsey21 View Post
I have a friend who works for Marriott Corporate, and she's told me that they are not allowed to participate in the Bonvoy status program. I've always thought that was very short sighted on Marriott's part-- their employees have no particular incentive to stay at Marriott properties (other than the employee rate, when available) and have little to no idea about the loyalty program and its benefit (or lack thereof). I'm very glad to hear that Hilton lets employees participate, and that the terms of their participation are the same as for non-employees; I'd suspect that their employees who do travel probably have a better appreciation of what it takes to become a HHonors elite member, and of the value of the various benefits thereof than do employees at Marriott.
Interesting - I know SPG took the opposite approach and gave hotel employees 500 points for customer recognition. Sort of says it all about the two programmes really.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

This thread is like a tiny microcosm about the debate on the role of the company in the US today. Fascinating.

As a European, Id say an employee is a far more important stakeholder than a random credit card holding Diamond member, but appreciate others see the role of employees rather more transactionally!
camsean and Sisosig like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
As a European, Id say an employee is a far more important stakeholder than a random credit card holding Diamond member, but appreciate others see the role of employees rather more transactionally!
As a person with some command of logic, Id say that without the customers that you so quickly dismiss, said employee would be sleeping under a bridge or polishing up their resume.
BearX220, DiverDave and :D! like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by whimsey21 View Post
I have a friend who works for Marriott Corporate, and she's told me that they are not allowed to participate in the Bonvoy status program. I've always thought that was very short sighted on Marriott's part-- their employees have no particular incentive to stay at Marriott properties (other than the employee rate, when available) and have little to no idea about the loyalty program and its benefit (or lack thereof). I'm very glad to hear that Hilton lets employees participate, and that the terms of their participation are the same as for non-employees; I'd suspect that their employees who do travel probably have a better appreciation of what it takes to become a HHonors elite member, and of the value of the various benefits thereof than do employees at Marriott.
I worked for Marriott for over a decade. The incentive for employees to stay at other properties was the employee rate. It used to be as low as $29 per night. And I made very good use of it. As did a lot of my co-workers. Not being able to earn Marriott Rewrds credit for those satys was not a deterrent at all for me. But if we had been able to participate, I definitely would be Lifetime Platinum (or whatever it is now called, Titanium?).

As for Hilton properties not being able to differentiate employee elites from non-employees. Are the employees booking a specific rate code (like we did at Marriott) for their stays? Because to me, that is the easiest way to distinguish between the two groups.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Yellowjj View Post
Except the employees are also paid guests.
Personally, this situation doesn't bother me. I just want to point out that if a property is below 90% occupancy, Hilton team members will be paying 50% of the best rate available (booked through the employee portal), which is a really sweet deal. So, an argument could be made that a guest paying twice as much as an employee might deserve higher priority for upgrades.

Also, the much touted "Credit Card Diamond" myth is a red herring. There is literally no reason to have the Aspire card unless you are already spending a lot of nights at Hilton properties every year. The majority value comes from the 14x points on my Hilton spend and the resort credits and free nights for spend, etc.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post

As a person with some command of logic, Id say that without the customers that you so quickly dismiss, said employee would be sleeping under a bridge or polishing up their resume.
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that customers are not important here. Surely the point is that a hotel business needs plenty of guests and a high performing staff? Both, not just one. But anyways, I'm not going to convince anyone of the error of what they were taught in economics 101 on a Hilton FT thread, so I will resist the temptation.
Zurich likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
why do some people get so bent out of shape
Being a Diamond member myself, I just want a nice clean room and bed. What do I need a suite for?
^
I find all the hullabaloo over upgrades endlessly amusing. Upgrades are simply the least important part of the program, IMO. The vast majority of the time a suite is just empty space I'm not going to use.

No skin off my back if Hilton employees also have status.
IAN-UK, Cat88L3, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
So I found out that Hilton staff have their own Hilton Honours program. They get stay credits even on staff rates and get recognised as Gold or Diamond members too. I dont mind or care if they have this privilege. But I do mind when they can compete with full fare paying guests when getting upgrades.

i was a little peeved when I was staying at a property recently and when I checked in was told that no more suites are available. But a friend I know whos a Hilton employee had a suite reserved for him tell me that its also because hotels can not differentiate between members and employees until check in, after the room is assigned.

Dont think Hilton employees should get privileges over guests. What do you think?
i think you are complaining about the wrong thing. There are many more things, in the role of travel, that need to be addressed before this one.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 19, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Personally, this situation doesn't bother me. I just want to point out that if a property is below 90% occupancy, Hilton team members will be paying 50% of the best rate available (booked through the employee portal), which is a really sweet deal. So, an argument could be made that a guest paying twice as much as an employee might deserve higher priority for upgrades.
The situation doesn't bother me either because if I need/want a suite, I book it. Bear seemed to insinuate that employees weren't paying guests at all, which is what bothered me. Now whatever rate they pay is between them and Hilton, but I would hope the hotels do take into account rate types, when deciding who to upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 19, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I’d say an employee is a far more important stakeholder than a random credit card holding Diamond member...
It is sometimes said that the primary mission of United Airlines is the comfortable transport of the employees of United Airlines. It's not meant as a compliment, but as comment on an insular workplace culture where paying customers are on the periphery. I certainly hope Hilton does not hold the same view.
Old Aug 25, 19, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
It is sometimes said that the primary mission of United Airlines is the comfortable transport of the employees of United Airlines.
It's sometimes said. But that doesn't mean it's remotely correct or accurate...
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
A hotel group's main customer is the hotel, not the hotel guest.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:40 pm

Hello... There are separate guidelines for upgrading Hilton team members then there are for the rest of the Honors guests. The only team members eligible for suite upgrades are diamond status team members. Diamond status team members traveling on their Hilton team member rate will be the last suite upgrade given. The front desk knows who they are because there are separate rate plans just for team members and they can see the SRP (special rate plan) that each guest is booked on while they are granting upgrades. Gold team members are eligible for room (not suite) upgrades and once again will be the last room upgrade given. I hope this information helps!
Guy Betsy and SPBanker like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Nonrevs always travel space-available / standby, and they only get access to premium seats after all revenue customers are satisfied
my bolding

Not particularly relevant to the thread but this is certainly not the case for all airlines. I have friends who are able to book confirmed space tickets with considerable discount. Let's say about 20% discount, and once booked these employees have exactly the same rights and benefits (for example compensation for delay, overbooking, whatever) as people who have paid 100%. And go figure, 20% of an international first/business class ticket is more than peanuts.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by sbams View Post
I have friends who are able to book confirmed space tickets with considerable discount. Let's say about 20% discount,..
That is not nonrev. Apples and oranges.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: