Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Getting the run around on the price guarantee.

Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver

First time using the price guarantee. I feel like it’s a bit of a scam and not a good look for Hilton. I booked the Hilton Bogota for a few dates in December. I noticed third parties including Orbitz and Expedia selling the room for less.

$257.24 on Hilton vs $237.99

I got denied because they said the rate was not lower on the third party site. They said the lowest rate was $79.33 before taxes and fees.

I replied back that the lower rate rate did include taxes and fees and clearly stated in their screenshot response. The total for the stay is even lower at the other website.

I then get this response:

The terms and conditions of the Price Match Guarantee program specifically state that taxes and/or fees are not included in our calculations when reviewing a claim:

Price comparisons will be made net of taxes, gratuities, service charges, early departure fees, or other fees and incidental charges, and will exclude changes in currency exchange rates.
Am I missing something here? The terms and conditions the rep quoted directly contradicted their statement that taxes and fees are not included.

Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:59 am

You'll find lots of similar tales on the master Hilton Best Rate Guarantee thread:

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

These programs are basically tools hotels groups use to keep their franchisees honest. Instead of having a company employee trying to make sure hotels main rate parity between the chain and online travel agencies (which is part of every franchise agreements I've ever heard of), they have customers do all the grunt work. That's the easiest way to find scofflaw hotels.

Now, my guess about your case is that the person who made the decision didn't read the web site correct. Or, they selected the wrong denial reason from the pre-determined list.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
I feel like it’s a bit of a scam and not a good look for Hilton...

Am I missing something here?

For every 1 person who discovers that the BRG is indeed a scam, there are 100 more who see the commercials with Anna Kendrick and just book direct instead of with an OTA.

What you are missing is that BRG policies are pure marketing, backed up with enough legalese to keep attorneys general and the like away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.